What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ADS-B Rant! Do you agree? Aviators gouged!

ron sterba

Well Known Member
Well I wanted ADS-B out for my 9A and the word out there is Thousand dollars plus give or take a fwe hundred. Did you see on NBC news that theres a NEW APP for 4G I phones for $2.99 I said Two Dollars and Ninety nine cents for you to point your 4G phone at a Plane flying in front of you (airliner with ADS-B out) and pick up the ADS-B info transmitted from the plane and Identify it where it came from and where its going to! Did anybody else see that on the news 11-07-2010? Add to what I saw? or know more about the APP. Developed in England, now here in the USA. Hard to believe we may take it in the Wallet for ADS-B equipment for our RV's!!!!!

Ron in Oregon

Hard to believe we may take it in the Wallet for ADS-B equipment for our RV's!!!!!
Must be a generational thing...I don't have a clue as to what you are talking about.:eek:

Yep it's out there!

A simple Google search found this link:
http://boingboing.net/2010/09/20/behold-the-point-you.html

It tells about the app and has a hot link to the app Plane Finder AR. There is a comment that states that it will not work very well until ADS-B is fully implemented.

"For the US, ADS-B out (what this uses) isn't mandated until 2020 and I suspect most airlines won't bother until then. At least that's the vibe I've gotten.

There may be slightly more luck with GA as some private plane owners are true gadget freaks who may already have an ADS-B transponder but even then there's the issue that only certain areas have the ground stations in place.

Still, an interesting concept. ADS-B in for a smartphone."

Still, an interesting concept. ADS-B in for a smartphone."

I assume the phone uses the GPS and compass to determine where it is and where it's pointed, then gets the airplane locations and info from the phone's data connection. The phone is not receiving an ADS-B signal.

-Rob

apples and oranges

You're comparing an iphone app with ads-b antennas, transmitters, electronics, etc.

You ain't seen nothin yet...

Check this inflight YouTube video of a moving map with live ADS-B on an iPhone -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmYrUGxRC88

The company is http://www.skyscope.net/

Apparently, the app subscription is $25 per year and the ADS-B receiver is $1200.

I am in no way affiliated with the company (I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn last night)

BTW - This app is ADS-B receive. Ron started this thread on ADS-B out. Sorry for the thread jack.

Last edited:
Hello Guys Ron here. I know all of Oregon is set up for ADS-B state-wide. FAA will have a good portion ADS-B coverage in the Major hub areas US in 3 years I was told today.Eurupe has had ADS-B for sometime. It just doesn't seem right. $400 I Phone and a $25 APP according to one of the posters above, I don't know guys it just doesn't sound right ($) wise for us builders. Maybe with us bringing this to light that maybe the price will come down in the next year or soooooo! Thanks to dougs website here.
Ron

I assume the phone uses the GPS and compass to determine where it is and where it's pointed, then gets the airplane locations and info from the phone's data connection. The phone is not receiving an ADS-B signal.

-Rob

Correct, the phone knows where it is, and where you're pointing it. It uses wifi or data connection (i.e. 3G) to connect to the internet and compare your location/where you're pointing the phone to current ATC data via the intenet. It's nothing more than the current ability to go on the internet via flight aware and look at current flights, only now you just hold your phone up to a plane flying by, and you can see everything. Creepy in my opinion.

Leave your TXPDR in standby if in E or G airspace, problem solved.

Correct, the phone knows where it is, and where you're pointing it. It uses wifi or data connection (i.e. 3G) to connect to the internet and compare your location/where you're pointing the phone to current ATC data via the intenet. It's nothing more than the current ability to go on the internet via flight aware and look at current flights, only now you just hold your phone up to a plane flying by, and you can see everything. Creepy in my opinion.

Well to all that contributed to my RANT i have learned alot here. Thanks for the youtube piece. Very informative! Lots of other links on that YOUTUBE site on ADS-B. Thanks.. Ron in Oregon but now in Scottsdale AZ for a week.

VFR versus filed is more likely

It's nothing more than the current ability to go on the internet via flight aware and look at current flights, only now you just hold your phone up to a plane flying by, and you can see everything. Creepy in my opinion.

Before we shut our shut our transponders off and get reduced to a primary radar target and naked eye, let's find out a little more.

The app has lots of bad reviews. Apparently people are using it, and it isn't identifying the airplane they point the phone at. That isn't surprising. I don't see how this app would work (in the US at least) unless the airplane is mode C or mode S AND IFR. All that VFR flying we do, squawking 1200 (or even a unique code while on flight following) from my experience does not go into the system, so worry if you like, but it doesn't appear suddenly that the buyer of a $3 dollar app now has aviation at their finger tips.

I've bought the app, I'll turn on CTAF and watch a bit today. I'll post back.

Update- about 11 am mtn.
Here west of Boise near KEUL, Plane Finder AR isn't seeing the local VFR traffic. What has surprised me though is Plane Finder AR isn't seeing the commercial jets in and out of Boise. I can see commercial flights in and out of BOI both with Flight Aware and with the naked eye. It would appear (and this is what they say on their website) that it really is just ADS-B data and that they don't have an ADS-B data feed from this geographic area, so even when ADS-B traffic does fly this area, it won't show.

best
Stan

Last edited:
Back