What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ADS-B Costs

You don't specify In or Out. UAT or 1090ES.

For UAT "out" 2020 minimum compliance for an Experimental Amateur Built:

With TSO'd IFR WAAS Navigator in place (approved source like GNS430W/530W, GTN, IFD, KSN etc..) about $1,000

Without IFR Navigator position source about $1,400

Jim

A popular choice has been the Garmin GTX 345 (in/out) with built in GPS coupled to an Aera 660 to display traffic and weather, this will set you back about $5500 for equipment and around 1K for installation at my shop. They're are probably a few cheaper alternatives but this one is hard to beat IMO.

Last edited:
A popular choice has been the Garmin GTX 345 (in/out) with built in GPS coupled to an Aera 660 to display traffic and weather, this will set you back about $5500 for equipment and around 1K for installation at my shop. They're are probably a few cheaper alternatives but this one is hard to beat IMO.

Thanks Walt.

Tim

I'm in the process of installing a Garmin GDL-82 right now. The cost for the package is $1795, but there can be a lot of labor involved. You'll also need to purchase some coax cables and/or connectors, plus an indicator light, switch, and fuse or CB. You will need a Mil-Spec crimper for the connector pins. My labor is free, but I would guestimate $2000 for the extra parts and labor, taking the total bill to the $4,000 area.

My most common install is the Stratus ES if there is a WAAS navigator installed or the ESG if there is not. He price in my shop, including installation, is $2,800 and $3,000 respectively. The 2i for ADS-B in is $600 extra.

The GDL82 is another simple option, which I charge $2,500 for, including installation.

I personally prefer the 1090ES option, but some prefer the UAT either for cost or for the anonymous mode.

I'm in the process of installing a Garmin GDL-82 right now. The cost for the package is $1795, but there can be a lot of labor involved. You'll also need to purchase some coax cables and/or connectors, plus an indicator light, switch, and fuse or CB. You will need a Mil-Spec crimper for the connector pins. My labor is free, but I would guestimate $2000 for the extra parts and labor, taking the total bill to the $4,000 area.
Please PM me if anyone wants a GDL-82 installed. I would be glad to install your 82 for you.

I would be glad to install your 82 for you.
Thanks for the offer but I'm pretty much done. The GDL-82 is mounted, the GA-35 antenna is mounted, and all the wires are run from the panel to the unit. All I lack is pinning the power connector and programming the darn thing. I have to tidy up the coax cables, too.

The complete installation and electronics for an L-3 Lynx 9000+, with one of the options plus a new encoder, cost about $6,700 in a certified plane. The shop removed an ancient transponder and encoder for this. It was in the busy shop for about a week.

It was about the most expensive of the alternatives at the time, which the owner regrets. It has in and out, and gives clear information via wi-fi on both WingX and Foreflight, as well as its own screens. Its screens, by the way, are absolutely superb.

I've flown it and it is, indeed, a nice system, if you need ADS-B. Whether it's worth all that, who knows.

Just another data point.

Dave

It was about the most expensive of the alternatives at the time, which the owner regrets. It has in and out, and gives clear information via wi-fi on both WingX and Foreflight, as well as its own screens. Its screens, by the way, are absolutely superb.

Dave - just to confirm my understanding, the owner was regretful over the cost and not the system itself.

Just my opinion, but timing is everything. If you sell right now - $4,000 - $6,000. I believe next spring we are going to see the market flooded with planes as people realize that they will not be able to fly without a $5,000 - $7,000 upgrade and that it is not justified for many of them. I am predicting a huge drop in market value as all of these planes flood the market before the 2020 deadline. I think it will be more of a certified than experimental issue, but when that market value drops, so will the experimentals.

As I already posted, the Stratus ES(G) transponder for ADS-B Out costs $2,800-3,000 in my shop, and we get the plane in and out in one day. This usually replaced a KT-76A transponder (that is older than I am), but occasionally it replaced a Garmin or a Narco. It is a very easy install and very reasonably priced. Extremely easy to program as well. That is a lot of money, but not the $4-7,000 quoted here.

ADS-B In can be extremely cheap or it can be very expensive, from the Scout or Stratux up to the GTX-345 or Lynx system. Where the customer wants to view the information is the deciding factor of the cost.

Certified 172R is going in the shop in 2 weeks for the Stratus ESG with 2i box, total $5500 installed.

Just a datapoint. We do have it good in the experimental world, I expect to see much wailing and gnashing of the teeth in the certified world as we get closer to the compliance date.

Certified 172R is going in the shop in 2 weeks for the Stratus ESG with 2i box, total $5500 installed.

Just a datapoint. We do have it good in the experimental world, I expect to see much wailing and gnashing of the teeth in the certified world as we get closer to the compliance date.

Sounds like you're going to the wrong shop. I just quoted $3,600 installed in this thread.

Exactly right. Good clarification, thanks for that.

Dave

I've installed a about a half dozen NGT-9000's, a little pricey but super nice unit and even thought the screen is small its really good. If you want to install it yourself (EAB only) I can supply one to you if interested.

A few years back and coworker and I came up with the "10% Rule". Basically for aircraft mods/parts that are non performance enhancing and non scheduled, owners will cough up to approximately 10% of the value of the plane before they cry uncle. This doesn't apply to things like a GPS upgrade because that enhances performance, and the owner can do it at his leisure. It applies to things like sudden AD's. In the case of ADS-B, for just an In installation the owner really get's nothing out of it other than compliance, and they are being forced to do it on the gov't timeline, not their own. Hence it's subject to the rule.

So when ADS-B installs were $5-6k, that meant airplanes worth less than $50k were likely to get parked or sold. With the installs down in the $2-3k range, that brings that value threshold down into the $20k range, which covers most of the fleet. I would expect to see some old, high time 150's, Musketeers, Chiefs, etc.... get dumped due to the mandate, but most planes will make the cut.

When buying or selling I would expect the price of plane to ultimately be discounted around 50% of the ADS-B cost. A savvy buyer will immediately discount the full install price in his offer for the plane, and a good salesman will likely be able negotiate about half of that back.

DEM

In the case of ADS-B, for just an In installation the owner really get's nothing out of it other than compliance, and they are being forced to do it on the gov't timeline, not their own. Hence it's subject to the

DEM

I think you meant ?out?. ?In? is optional.

Discount

You can discount your offer whatever you'd like BUT, as a buyer of several really nice RVs and with people on this forum posting for weeks or even months wanting to buy, the seller may simply close the hangar door and go home. Don't let a really nice one get away from you for a couple of thousand bucks. In aircraft ownership, it's a rounding error. Besides, in all probability, the asking price already recognizes the fact that the airplane doesn't' have ADS-B.

Last edited:
Not sure what I'm missing, but why not go with the Echo UAT for 2020 compliance? Price range is $999 to $1499 depending on WAAS antenna

I helped a guy get an NGT-9000 installed recently and he loves it to death. It's a pretty nice box, a bit more baud rate compatible than the GTX345, and he finds the screen actually very useful for obtaining weather information and such too. I know if I end up moving up to a transponder replacement, the NGT-9000 is going to be at the top of my list. It's not much more expensive than the GTX345 with built-in GPS, really, but feature wise it's nicer. In fact, since it uses wifi instead of bluetooth for the link to the ipad apps, it frees you up to be able to use SiriusXM for weather via bluetooth simultaneously with ADS-B in for traffic.

You can discount your offer whatever you'd like BUT, as a buyer of several really nice RVs and with people on this forum posting for weeks or even months wanting to buy, the seller may simply close the hangar door and go home. Don't let a really nice one get away from you for a couple of thousand bucks. In aircraft ownership, it's a rounding error. Besides, in all probability, the asking price already recognizes the fact that the airplane doesn't' have ADS-B.

SO TRUE:

We bought a very clean $39k airframe and added E.I. engine monitor with all the bells/whistles, PMA7000B, SL-30, GTN650, GTX330-ES, AERA 660 on copilot side in panel mount, GDL-393D(hardwired), Autopilot, and new style 406 MHz GPS based ELT. Many other small things like LED lighting, better air vents, new metal panel, custom placards, etc.

When we were selling, the potential buyer said its still a $39k plane and that's what he is willing to offer. He claimed it doesn't matter what you add to an a older airframe and engine. Its still an older airframe and engine.
I simply said nothing and closed the hangar door. He was continuously asking "Hey!-where are you going" as I walked away and got into my car. :cool:

P.S. (1300 TTAF and Engine)

My most common install is the Stratus ES if there is a WAAS navigator installed or the ESG if there is not. He price in my shop, including installation, is $2,800 and $3,000 respectively. The 2i for ADS-B in is $600 extra.

The GDL82 is another simple option, which I charge $2,500 for, including installation.

I personally prefer the 1090ES option, but some prefer the UAT either for cost or for the anonymous mode.

As Jesse noted, he charges $2500 for the GDL-82 installed. This is a GREAT option and all that's legally required for the 2020 mandate if you fly below 18,000 feet. It works with any existing mode C transponder (not mode S, 328 or 330) You can always add IN with any portable device (i.e. Stratus, GDL-39 etc). You can get fancy and spend a fortune if you like but to satisfy the mandate the GDL-82 at $2500 installed by Jesse will do the trick. I have one and love it.

This is a VERY affordable option and will keep you flying into 2020 and beyond.

You could discount the plane $2500 and then comply for the upcoming mandate.

Back