What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Removing Aero Composite Prop

Plummit

Well Known Member
Well it seems my Aero Composite Prop hub decided to start spitting grease. There are no zerk fittings so I called the (ex) distributor, American Propeller, and it looks like I'll be sending it in for an overhaul.

Only problem is I've never pulled a prop so I'm guessing I cut the safety wire and loosen the bolts, then grab a handfull of prop and... I'll have a pan to catch any oil. Anything else?

~Marc

You'll have to walk the bolts off (loosen a bit, wiggle prop back, loosen some more). If you haven't done it before it's highly advised to have a helper acting as spotter. The prop isn't heavy, but you don't want to drop it! I do it myself but I place one blade in a ladder and hold/wiggle the other. It's really hard to tell when/which are all the way threaded out and then suddenly the thing is falling into your arms. Be careful getting to the end you don't let the weight sag on an almost out bolt and bugger a thread.

Note: If pulling an all metal constant speed a helper is almost a must! Those things are just too heavy to risk it. Last time I did it myself I used a cherry picker to hold the prop while I backed off the bolts.

DEM

Thanks Dennis! Got 'er done tonight so tomorrow it will be on it's way to the prop shop. Fortunately my A&P friend helped out so it wasn't too bad.

Appreciate the advice!

~Marc

Back