What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Describe a normal takeoff and landing :)

SgtZim

Well Known Member
Hi all,

Could anyone do a quick verbal brief on what a normal takeoff and landing are like in an 8?

I just finished a fresh tailwheel endorsement in an Aeronca Champ - 90% on a grass runway, and am looking for transition training this summer before I finish construction. I did some flying of a Citabria many years ago off of hard surface and I'm sure that was a bit closer to RV performance.

Thanks!

I'm located near Cincinnati if you know of a good instructor in the area.

I have no experience in a Champ, but I think it's safe to say that transition training in an RV would be strongly suggested, especially on hard surface runways. Takeoff isn't the issue, but it does happen fast and because of the horsepower, there can be noticeable P factor and left turning tendencies. An -8 will get up and go and you need to be ready for it. Landings of course are a challenge. Read http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=16788 for more info. Suffice it to say that the stiff legs on the RV-8 will bounce you back into the air with the slightest error. Three point landings can be made, but they are difficult and you have to have your airspeed control and timing just right. This is why most wheel land their -8s. I wouldn't assume that Champ training makes you ready for an -8 or anything other RV, and I'd strongly suggest transition training.

Like others said, takeoff happens fast. It's kind of hard to screw up, just watch the torque. Although I guess anything is possible, I can't imagine departure stalling one of these.

Landing happens fast too. Your pattern speeds will be higher than Champ cruise speeds. You'll need to plan ahead to slow down and fly a larger pattern. Ours has a constant speed and on landing it can develop a pretty high sink rate so plan on carrying some power. With the Hershey bar wing it does not float. I chop the power, flare, and am on the ground about that fast.

Ours 3 points nice onto grass with a little weight on the back. Without weight it will not 3 point. I've never tried a stall landing on pavement. It wheel lands nice on either surface. Make sure the brakes and tailwheel steering are up to snuff because once the tail comes down the rudder is pretty ineffective. (I learned this hard way.)

Solo with 20-30 lbs in the back ours is a pooch to fly. With a full size adult back there it's a whole other animal. Not harder, just different.

Definitely get some dual.

DEM

Hi,

I fly currently a Champ with 100hp and I am building a RV-8 in Switzerland. As I had to go on a business trip to the US, I took the opportunity to visit Bruce Bohannon in Texas to get some RV-8 Stick time.. I will write about this trip maybe in another section but to summarize:
Yes the Video explains quite well the difference :) I even forgot sometimes to apply full throttle at takeoff as the acceleration was so intense :)
The RV-Grin is still on my face and the training was very very valuable!

I owned a 7ECA for a few years and now have a conventional u/c 8, the primary difference is the speed and acceleration, they are just numbers, no need to be afraid just be aware��
I've got instructor friends who have many 1000's of hrs teaching but mention an RV8 & they start sweating! Too many people have old wives tales to frighten those that have not had the thrill of power up & rotate, there's no need to look at the speedo, Vans just want to fly, enjoy the ride��

I found a 100 hp Champ to be a good trainer for the RV7. Maybe just me, but I was more comfortable in the RV after getting my tailwheel endorsement in the Champ. If you can nail the approach speeds, rotate and land with little bounce in the Champ, then you won't have any problem moving to the RV, if your experience is like mine. Yes, it is way faster, and more P factor, but nailing the landing speeds and getting the vertical speed right at touchdown was extremely helpful in the Champ. Not at all to say transition training is not needed, but your first hours in the RV should come much easier with the Champ skills. At least if you are a low time TW pilot to start with.

Thanks for all your comments! Thanks Mark for the link! How did I miss that page!?

One of the strange things to me about the Champ takeoff (grass) was holding the stick full forward for several seconds until the tail came up - mentally a challenge / counterintuitive to try forcing the nose down during takeoff :eek: From that, I was imagining starting takeoff with stick full aft in the 8 for a couple of "bananas" for directional control until the rudder works, then lifting the tail. Sounds like the bananas slip by pretty fast. :)

Landings were almost all full stall in the Champ, wheel landings were tricky and discouraged by the management and instructors.

Really looking forward to some training in the 8 and flying!

Last edited:
I did transition training with Bruce Bohannon and he discouraged wheel landings, so we practiced 3 pointers 95% of the time. Every once in a while I'd nail one, but this was in a RV-8 with a heavy metal Hartzell CS prop and Bruce in the back. I didn't realize at the time how his weight affected things until I recently took a friend up with me. I had been nailing wheel landings by myself, but as someone else pointed out, put some weight (~167 lbs in this case) in the back and it's a different plane. I bounced all 4 landings with him in the back because I wasn't used to the tail coming down as quickly as it did. I don't know anything about the Champ, but I'd guess that they discourage wheel landings because you can get into trouble with x-winds. This was Bruce's explanation as well. It's easy to get complacent with wheel landings and then when you really need to get that tail wheel on the runway quickly, you might find yourself in some trouble.

Haha,

Not sure who taught you that technique in a Champ, but all it will do is extend the take off roll :D I have had two Champs and two Citabrias btw.

This raising the tail is really an old wives tale shrouded in the mists of time.

If you have no view over the front, if it is a whopping big transport airplane, if it is a long nosed fighter with loads of torque, then sure - there will be a sound reason for raising the tail.
However, on any of the tailwheel types (lots) I have operated, the smoothest and neatest takeoffs have been with a correctly set elevator or stab trim and a light touch on the stick, feel the airplane - let the tail raise by itself - you get the best of both worlds, directional control from the tailwheel and then as the surfaces come alive, you naturally transfer to the rudder.

Simples :)

Bruce - I have no RV8 TW time and only one flight in an RV8A. Of course I have time in other RV's as well as "legacy" airplanes, including my own 85HP homebuilt. I've recently transitioned into our new airplane, a Glasair Sportsman. While the Sportsman is much more of a "truck" than the RV's, it's still a big step up, performance-wise, from anything I had flown recently.

Without a doubt, get the transition training. Comparing the Champ to the RV8 isn't even a comparison that should be made. You've mentioned counting "bananas". Even with my limited experience (and perhaps because it's limited the RV8A flight sticks out in my mind as an exception), I would suggest that in the RV you won't have time to say "bana..". The transition training will really help you understand this order of magnitude difference in performance, and, importantly, the very large difference that will be required of you in terms of your need to prepare for/anticipate what's coming and to react very quickly to small deviations from nominal before those deviations become much larger.

Having blasted around in my hangar-mate's 8A, I can give you one assurance - you're going to love the performance of the 8.

Last edited:
Hope nobody here is making you think the RV-8 is a beast to handle. It's a pussy cat just like the Champ. It's a basic and straightforward tailwheel airplane, and all the tailwheel skills you learned in the Champ are perfectly transferable. You will require all of one take off to adjust to the difference in acceleration compared to the Champ. Sounds like you're a newbie tailwheel pilot, so you'll definitely want a little transition training aside from insurance issues. If you're good in the Champ, the RV transition will be a quick and easy breeze.

And there is generally no need to be in a hurry to jack the tail up early on take off in any light tailwheel airplane. I don't really understand those who think it's required for anything other than funnin' around. Neither the RV or Champ require any special techniques. Don't understand why any Champ operator would discourage wheel landings. It's a basic tailwheel skill. I've got a fair amount of Champ time and they wheel or 3-point just fine in x-winds. Good rudder authority. The reason you actually see more tailwheel pilots do wheel landings than 3-points in various types is because they are easier. Less likelihood of those embarrassing dribbles down the runway in front of the peanut gallery. ;)

Agree Luddite - the Champ does the most sublime lazy wheel landings with the oleo undercarriage. Never tried a later/new one with the solid gear.

Like others said, takeoff happens fast. It's kind of hard to screw up, just watch the torque. Although I guess anything is possible, I can't imagine departure stalling one of these.

Landing happens fast too. Your pattern speeds will be higher than Champ cruise speeds. You'll need to plan ahead to slow down and fly a larger pattern. Ours has a constant speed and on landing it can develop a pretty high sink rate so plan on carrying some power. With the Hershey bar wing it does not float. I chop the power, flare, and am on the ground about that fast.

Ours 3 points nice onto grass with a little weight on the back. Without weight it will not 3 point. I've never tried a stall landing on pavement. It wheel lands nice on either surface. Make sure the brakes and tailwheel steering are up to snuff because once the tail comes down the rudder is pretty ineffective. (I learned this hard way.)

Solo with 20-30 lbs in the back ours is a pooch to fly. With a full size adult back there it's a whole other animal. Not harder, just different.

Definitely get some dual.

DEM

I never understood larger patterns and carrying power especially with high sink rates. I fly a Christen Eagle that is a short coupled biplane that glides like a manhole cover. Tight patterns with good airspeed control and knowing how to slip is crucial for effective tailwheel landings IMHO. Three point & Wheel landings are akin to primer wars :D

I never understood larger patterns and carrying power especially with high sink rates. I fly a Christen Eagle that is a short coupled biplane that glides like a manhole cover. Tight patterns with good airspeed control and knowing how to slip is crucial for effective tailwheel landings IMHO. Three point & Wheel landings are akin to primer wars :D

Exactly - same as a Pitts with a CS prop and those guys who drop them in from a steep slip at idle power. If a Pitts can do it, the RV sure as heck can too. This is all individual preference and comfort/skill level. Some pilots are even uncomfortable with the power off "descent rate" of a 172 and prefer to carry power on approach. Of course, modern flight training teaches this.

Thanks for all your comments! Thanks Mark for the link! How did I miss that page!?

One of the strange things to me about the Champ takeoff (grass) was holding the stick full forward for several seconds until the tail came up - mentally a challenge / counterintuitive to try forcing the nose down during takeoff :eek: From that, I was imagining starting takeoff with stick full aft in the 8 for a couple of "bananas" for directional control until the rudder works, then lifting the tail. Sounds like the bananas slip by pretty fast. :)

Landings were almost all full stall in the Champ, wheel landings were tricky and discouraged by the management and instructors.

No need to force the tail up. After 1 or 2 takeoffs you'll feel about the right stick position to hold to let the tail fly itself off. The airplane will fly itself off shortly after. Forcing the tail up will just hold the plane on the ground. With as much power and acceleration as RV's have, this is probably not desirable. (I haven't tried it but I imagine it would get really squirrely.) The only plane I force the tail up on is my Dad's old Meyers biplane. With zero forward viz, no tailwheel steering, and sketchy model A ford brakes (seriously, Meyers raided the parts bin) getting the tail up right away makes life much easier.

If your instructor doesn't want to teach wheel landings find a new instructor. While wheel/3 point opinions are often as closely held as Democrat/Republican, you should know both. (Same could probably be said for the politics....)

As for the comments regarding larger patterns, I agree. I suggested a larger pattern for a pilot getting used to the speed as it will give him/her more time to catch up to the plane. As they get comfortable they can bring that pattern in as desired. (I prefer a tight pattern.)

I've found our RV-8 to be on the easy end of taildraggers I've flown. Just have to respect the power and speed.

DEM

I did transition training with Bruce Bohannon and he discouraged wheel landings, so we practiced 3 pointers 95% of the time. Every once in a while I'd nail one, but this was in a RV-8 with a heavy metal Hartzell CS prop and Bruce in the back. I didn't realize at the time how his weight affected things until I recently took a friend up with me. I had been nailing wheel landings by myself, but as someone else pointed out, put some weight (~167 lbs in this case) in the back and it's a different plane. I bounced all 4 landings with him in the back because I wasn't used to the tail coming down as quickly as it did. I don't know anything about the Champ, but I'd guess that they discourage wheel landings because you can get into trouble with x-winds. This was Bruce's explanation as well. It's easy to get complacent with wheel landings and then when you really need to get that tail wheel on the runway quickly, you might find yourself in some trouble.

LOL. Yeah right. No question Bruce is a 3-point proponent. But I can almost guarantee his explanation of why nobody should do wheel landings was much more colorful than what you alluded to here. I can appreciate your keeping it family friendly. Bruce has one of the best equipped rear seat control systems I have seen in an RV. And is a great instructor.

The RV-8 is without question an extremely docile and easy taildragger to land. If. IF, you have taildragger time. A Cherokee or 172 only guy might almost get one in the air. But all bets are off on landing. A Citabria or Cub guy will be on their toes. And a Luscombe or Pitts pilot can text their girlfriend on roll-out.

Jim

There's plenty of ways to skin the same cat, you'll develope yr own technique as you gain experience. Every single one of us had zero time on conventional u/c once upon a time, we all got shown by someone at first then went from there to develope our own wives tales. I wheel off and wheel on every time. Why? Cause I like to -:)

Training

I strongly encourage transition training. I went from 10 yrs of flying a slow tailwheel plane to the 8. The 8 made me feel like I didn't have any tailwheel time at all. I did get it but it was tough at first. I had an instructor fly with me until I felt safe. my 2 cents.

Ok, take a big breath. You are in control of take off speed. It is called the throttle. In most small airplanes you are taught to smoothly, advance throttle and use rudder to balance torque, same with an RV.
No one has mentioned that you can take off as slow as a champ if you slowly push the throttle in. Think about it, 90HP vs 180 or so. SLOWLY advance the throttle, take 1500 feet if you need to, keep the plane straight with your feet, lift the tail when it is ready and fly off, slowly advancing the throttle for the whole time it takes to get into the air.
Slow the process down and everything seems ridiculously like a champ.

Last edited:
Ok, take a big breath. You are in control of take off speed. It is called the throttle. In most small airplanes you are taught to smoothly, advance throttle and use rudder to balance torque, same with an RV.
No one has mentioned that you can take off as slow as a champ if you slowly push the throttle in. Think about it, 90HP vs 180 or so. SLOWLY advance the throttle, take 1500 feet if you need to, keep the plane straight with your feet, lift the tail when it is ready and fly off, slowly advancing the throttle for the whole time it takes to get into the air.
Slow the process down and everything seems ridiculously like a champ.

I guess that's one way of doing it but totally unnecessary!

Amazing the 'stigma' a conventional U/C plane such as an 8 seems to have, it's somewhat crazy, it's just another plane! I had only ever flown low powered conventional U/C planes then when I bought my 8 I felt right at home in it as it has a thing called a rudder, the only part of a high perf plane that requires more judicial use to something akin to an old Citabria etc.

Amazing the 'stigma' a conventional U/C plane such as an 8 seems to have, it's somewhat crazy, it's just another plane! I had only ever flown low powered conventional U/C planes then when I bought my 8 I felt right at home in it as it has a thing called a rudder, the only part of a high perf plane that requires more judicial use to something akin to an old Citabria etc.

Can't say there's not a bit of a culture bubble on this site.

I got 5 hours of transition training in Okeechobee, FL to re-acquaint myself with a tailwheel.
Since then, I've learned to take off with 1/2 flaps, and solo with 2 25# bags of lead shot on either side of the rear seat cushion.
Usually wheel land when solo, and 3-point with a passenger.

Hi,

I fly currently a Champ with 100hp and I am building a RV-8 in Switzerland. As I had to go on a business trip to the US, I took the opportunity to visit Bruce Bohannon in Texas to get some RV-8 Stick time.. I will write about this trip maybe in another section but to summarize:
Yes the Video explains quite well the difference :) I even forgot sometimes to apply full throttle at takeoff as the acceleration was so intense :)
The RV-Grin is still on my face and the training was very very valuable!

LOL! :)

I almost put it in the bushes a couple of times during my first few takeoffs with Bruce.

Bruce was adamant about only doing 3-point landings. With Bruce sitting in the back seat, his RV8 can be 3-pointed. However, as others have reported, my RV-8 will not 3-point land when solo without additional weight in the back. I found out later the hard way when I ran out of elevator during my first few solo 3-point landing attempts. Had to abort half of them. I now almost exclusively do wheelies. When you're ready to solo it for the first time, be prepared to wheel land your RV-8...it may be the only safe way to get it back on the ground. Don't assume it will 3-point as easily as Bruce's RV8 does with him in the back seat...it probably won't.

Yeah, the RV-8 is a very different airplane during T/O and landing than a Champ or Citabria. If you use anywhere near as much rudder pedal action in an RV-8 as you'd use in a Citabria, you'll find yourself in the grass. :)

Last edited:
So far, no mention of Weight and Balance.
Calculate your weight and Balance so you know what you are starting with.
RV-8s come in a variety of configurations (go figure?) I built a very light O-360 fixed pitch version with no interior or paint. It 3 points fine when solo. Forward CG aircraft with high empty weight are going to be different, which probably accounts for some of the various opinions here. Your First Flight with CG about the middle, or slightly forward will help.
I advocate a "Tailwheel Low" landing. Could be 'wheels', could be 3 point. It's all about the pitch attitude, which is determined by airspeed when flying level. Get parallel to the ground at 1' altitude. With throttle closed, the airspeed will decrease and as you hold off, the pitch attitude will increase. Hold the 3 point attitude, you touch down. ;) at the perfect attitude. If the runway is bumpy and you are tossed back into the air, maintain the attitude. If tossed too high, add throttle and decide to settle back in or go around. If you wheels land, the speed will be higher and you will have to "stick it on" (hold tail up) if you try to 'plant the tail-wheel' too soon you will fly again: a Balloon and hobby horsing or dolphins, bent prop etc., or 'Add Power, Go Around'.
When landing the first few times, 'you get what you get' then you start to make it into what you want with practice. Mind the RV-8 brakes, they apply easily, and chirping tires at touchdown are common (but not wanted)
At a safe altitude, practice slow flight and control of airspeed and attitude. do some stalls, including stalls in a turn. Get the feel of the onset of stall so you can avoid trouble close to the ground.
Eyeball airspeed and skid ball in the pattern.
I agree with slow throttle application on take off, even part throttle, an RV-8 easily flies with low horsepower. Why make the first take off "Behind the Aircraft"?
I got transition training, even though I was already flying a Thorp T-18. Instruction is fun, and always worthwhile.

I almost put it in the bushes a couple of times during my first few takeoffs with Bruce.

Bruce was adamant about only doing 3-point landings. With Bruce sitting in the back seat, his RV8 can be 3-pointed. However, as others have reported, my RV-8 will not 3-point land when solo without additional weight in the back. I found out later the hard way when I ran out of elevator during my first few solo 3-point landing attempts. Had to abort half of them. I now almost exclusively do wheelies. When you're ready to solo it for the first time, be prepared to wheel land your RV-8...it may be the only safe way to get it back on the ground. Don't assume it will 3-point as easily as Bruce's RV8 does with him in the back seat...it probably won't.

Yeah, the RV-8 is a very different airplane during T/O and landing than a Champ or Citabria. If you use anywhere near as much rudder pedal action in an RV-8 as you'd use in a Citabria, you'll find yourself in the grass. :)

Couldn't disagree more with the above 3 lines!.

But if you're doing so much pedal pumping in a Citabria that would get you in trouble in an RV-8, you're doing it wrong. ;):)

...Bruce was adamant about only doing 3-point landings. With Bruce sitting in the back seat, his RV8 can be 3-pointed. However, as others have reported, my RV-8 will not 3-point land when solo without additional weight in the back. I found out later the hard way when I ran out of elevator during my first few solo 3-point landing attempts. Had to abort half of them. I now almost exclusively do wheelies. When you're ready to solo it for the first time, be prepared to wheel land your RV-8...it may be the only safe way to get it back on the ground. Don't assume it will 3-point as easily as Bruce's RV8 does with him in the back seat...it probably won't.
I experienced the same thing on my initial test flight. Maybe a little slow and ran out of elevator. Not pleasant dropping it in like that on the first landing. Ballast in the back might have helped that situation. Individual CG conditions vary, of course.

If you can consistently make nice 3-pts the -8, you're good to go.

But if you're doing so much pedal pumping in a Citabria that would get you in trouble in an RV-8, you're doing it wrong. ;):)

I quickly got the pedal action down to next to nothing once I started flying my own RV-8. It's got Rocket Link steering which is more like coasting on a bicycle during rollout than slack chains are. It's a pussycat now. :)

Last edited:
I experienced the same thing on my initial test flight. Maybe a little slow and ran out of elevator. Not pleasant dropping it in like that on the first landing. Ballast in the back might have helped that situation. Individual CG conditions vary, of course.

If you can consistently make nice 3-pts the -8, you're good to go.

I've got more weight in the rear baggage compartment now which provides more pitch authority during landings. But I believe one needs to be prepared to wheelie it on...if necessary...when they first solo it because it handles so differently without a passenger in the back. It can take a little while to gain confidence with the plane. If you've got 1000 hrs of tailwheel time before strapping on an RV-8, that certainly helps. But lots of new RV-8 pilots do not.

Last edited:
Obtaining dual instruction in any aircraft is advisable! Every aircraft has it's "gotchayas". For take-off, I would suggest that you hold the brakes, push the RPM up to 1700, release the brakes and smartly apply full power while maintaining directional control with rudder. Let the tail fly itself off. Lift it if you want once the tail is flying. In a X wind lift it to help increase directional control. Then go fly! For landing, I preach tight patterns. In my opinion, big patterns are a crutch and hazardous to you and the aircraft behind you. Speed control while entering the pattern is paramount in setting up a stabilized approach. Slow down early. I use 100 mph on downwind, 90 base, 80 on final. CG is key to 3 pointing. A forward CG makes it virtually impossible to 3 pt. I put about 25 lbs of weight in the aft baggage to help move my CG aft. You will run out of up trim with a forward CG while trying to doing a wheel or 3 pt landing with out weight in the back. Wheel landings are all about airspeed control, managing sink rate and flair height. Fly the plane down and round your flair out at 1ft, idle power and the 8 will settle right to the runway. A slight forward pressure is all you need after the mains touch. I like to retract the flaps in a crosswind or if I am wanting to stop quickly. I am not a fan of the tail low landing in this airplane. I would be remiss if I didn't mention this. If you don't like what is happening on the takeoff roll. ABORT! And if you don't like how your approach is developing or your landing is not going the way that it should be...... GO AROUND! Both are free and you can reset and try it again.

Take off and Landing...short form

Takeoff
Line up with runway, push throttle forward, buildings go by faster, keep pointed in direction of runway, ease back stick, buildings get smaller.

Landing
Line up with runway, pull throttle back, buildings get bigger, ease stick back, buildings go by slower, keep pointed in direction of runway.

Tip?A models drive like a car on the ground, TW models drive like a forklift.

The rest is just details.

Bruce,
You?ve gotten lots of good advice here from experienced RV8 Pilots and lots of different techniques that work for them. If you are still looking for an instructor, I know of two that have dual control RV8?s. Bruce B. In Houston has been mentioned, and my new RV8 partner is going to see him next week. There is another one in Illinois, at Blue Sky Aero. After you get some type training from someone with a dual control 2 seat RV (RV6 & 7 works too), Ken Rieder here at KHAO, north side of Cincinnati, may be able to fly with you in a normally configured RV8 to help you feel comfortable before soloing your bird.

Hi all,

Could anyone do a quick verbal brief on what a normal takeoff and landing are like in an 8?

I just finished a fresh tailwheel endorsement in an Aeronca Champ - 90% on a grass runway, and am looking for transition training this summer before I finish construction. I did some flying of a Citabria many years ago off of hard surface and I'm sure that was a bit closer to RV performance.

Thanks!

I'm located near Cincinnati if you know of a good instructor in the area.

Cool, I moved from Cinci to Dallas a couple years ago, and am taking lessons in a Champ right now :) Are you flying out of Waynesville?

My preferred pattern with the RV-8 w/ O-360 and CS prop typically goes like this:

1. On downwind at TPA, about 12.5" MP will slow it down to about 95 mph abeam the numbers
2. Lower flaps to 50%
3. Perform GUMPS check...select best tank, mixture full rich, prop full fine, boost pump on
4. Trim to stabilize airspeed at 90 mph IAS
5. Adjust throttle to set prop speed between 2,300-2,400 rpm. (CS prop @ full fine may need higher RPM than FP prop for comparable descent rate.)
6. With the runway threshold about 30-45 degree off my shoulder start turn to base.
7. Adjust angle of base leg to compensate for winds
8. Small adjustments to throttle (rpm) may be necessary on base so that you roll out on final at 400 ft AGL. This typically provides for a conservatively high and steep descent (my preference).
9. Adjust throttle to maintain stable glide slope. Apply x-wind corrections to maintain centerline alignment.
10. Chop power over the threshold, round out to about 6"-12" off the runway, add a bit power if needed to control sink, focus on far end of runway, and manage energy to touch down main wheels first with minimal descent speed. Apply small amount of forward stick once the main wheels touchdown to keep it on the runway.
11. Be vigilant and ready with the rudder pedals to keep the plane aligned with the centerline
12. Let tail come down on its own...do not hold tailwheel off the ground
13. Full back on the stick once the tailwheel touches the pavement
14. Apply brakes as necessary

YMMV, but this is what works best for me.

Cool, I moved from Cinci to Dallas a couple years ago, and am taking lessons in a Champ right now :) Are you flying out of Waynesville?

Hi, yes I did a checkout this spring, but haven't been flying much since. I'm scheduled for a BFR flight and trying to get some dual in their Citabria - but that instructor seems to be quite busy.

My preferred pattern with the RV-8 w/ O-360 and CS prop typically goes like this:

1. On downwind at TPA, about 12.5" MP will slow it down to about 95 mph abeam the numbers
2. Lower flaps to 50%
3. Perform GUMPS check...select best tank, mixture full rich, prop full fine, boost pump on
4. Trim to stabilize airspeed at 90 mph IAS
5. Adjust throttle to set prop speed between 2,300-2,400 rpm. (CS prop @ full fine may need higher RPM than FP prop for comparable descent rate.)
6. With the runway threshold about 30-45 degree off my shoulder start turn to base.
7. Adjust angle of base leg to compensate for winds
8. Small adjustments to throttle (rpm) may be necessary on base so that you roll out on final at 400 ft AGL. This typically provides for a conservatively high and steep descent (my preference).
9. Adjust throttle to maintain stable glide slope. Apply x-wind corrections to maintain centerline alignment.
10. Chop power over the threshold, round out to about 6"-12" off the runway, add a bit power if needed to control sink, focus on far end of runway, and manage energy to touch down main wheels first with minimal descent speed. Apply small amount of forward stick once the main wheels touchdown to keep it on the runway.
11. Be vigilant and ready with the rudder pedals to keep the plane aligned with the centerline
12. Let tail come down on its own...do not hold tailwheel off the ground
13. Full back on the stick once the tailwheel touches the pavement
14. Apply brakes as necessary

YMMV, but this is what works best for me.

That's a pretty though run down there Tom, pretty good, the only thing I would do diff is NOT touch the fuel tank selector, just check there is sufficient fuel in the current tank to engine and land. Bad time in the circuit to find out a fuel supply problem form the current non used tank-:)

Finally flew N188LC today after spending 10 hours with Mike Seager.. Zero issues to report other than it took me 3 tries to get a sqeaker wheel landing.. Even with 40 pounds of weight in the aft baggage area, the elevator pressure was considerably higher than the RV-7 I flew with Mike. Mine is a 180hp, FP setup, and Mike's is 160hp and CS.. the difference in acceleration on takeoff, and deceleration into the approach was large enough that I'm considering a CS prop as my next mod to the airplane. I really enjoyed the fine control of the CS vs the FP, although once I got into the groove (85 mph IAS) of the approach it wasn't any different.

Taxi back to the hangar was fun with the big RV grin on my face..

That's a pretty though run down there Tom, pretty good, the only thing I would do diff is NOT touch the fuel tank selector, just check there is sufficient fuel in the current tank to engine and land. Bad time in the circuit to find out a fuel supply problem form the current non used tank-:)

Thank you, Capt. I agree with your comment. :)

I typically don't let my fuel draw down below 1/3 full in either tank, and always top them off at the next opportunity after every 2 hours of flight. At 55% power and 182 mph TAS with one PMag, it comfortably burns 6.8-7.0 gph providing plenty of range and speed for my needs. There's just no need to run the tanks lower. And if there is a need, I'll adjust my flight plan to eliminate that need.

Back