What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Correct V speeds?

Rallylancer122

Well Known Member
Hi All,

I'm switching my Dad's RV-8 from mph to kts. Currently we have a United 8025 airspeed indicator that has MPH on the outer scale and knots on the inner scale. When I asked United if that can be switched they said no problem, they have a dial that reverses the scale. Victory! Not quite...

They asked about the markings for V speeds, and I gave them the info off of Van's website. https://www.vansaircraft.com/pdf/speeds.pdf Per that chart, redline is 200kts. However it turns out they sell enough for RV's that they have RV dials in stock, and the speeds they typically put on are little different than the chart. Specifically redline is 182 kts. They said all their 8000 series RV dials are that way. I went out the airplane to see what was in there, and lo and behold it's redlined at 200 mph (182 kts). Apparently nobody told the airplane this as it's gone way faster than that.

So basically I'm trying to figure out what the correct V speed are? Obviously I trust Vans over an airspeed vendor, but as ours was probably installed in 1999 when Dad built the plane they must have been selling them this way for quite a while. The fact that no one has squawked it makes me wonder what I'm missing? Did Van's change their numbers at some point?

And yes, I realize the airplane doesn't know the difference and I could simply fly what I know to be correct. But if I'm going to go through the effort to re-mark the airspeed I might as well get the numbers right.

Finally, this is not intended to be a debate about mph vs. kts. I'm sure it would be a fascinating discussion with pros and cons on each side. However this plane is going kts. Just need to get the numbers right.

Thanks!
DEM

The chart is correct

Most likely your dad purchased the wrong ASI ( they don't come with the kit).

BTW, 182 kts is 210mph. That is the standard ASI for the RV-4 and 6.

Last edited:
Back