What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

6A in grass?

dmat

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Been thinking about flying to OSH and camping this year for the first time and wanted to get an idea of how well a 6A handles in grass. I have never operated on grass. The closest I got to grass was the maneuvers I learned for my PPL.

Thanks,
D

I've only landed my -7A on grass once but it was a non-event. Short-field/soft-field techniques - keep the stick back and nose light while taxiing and during take-off and landing. Landing with aft CG is probably helpful as well.

RV6A on Grass

I have always operated of of a grass field with my 6A. That said one must be careful as the nose wheel is not a tundra tire. 😳
Have flown into Oshkosh many times and never had a problem.
Go for it.

Been thinking about flying to OSH and camping this year for the first time and wanted to get an idea of how well a 6A handles in grass. I have never operated on grass. The closest I got to grass was the maneuvers I learned for my PPL.

Thanks,
D

Hundreds of -a models successfully negotiate the grassy parking areas at Oshkosh each Summer. You shouldn't have a problem.

Before going to OSH, practice slow flight, spot landing, rolling checklists, and flying around at 100.

Excellent advice, in addition you really need to get, read, and understand the NOTAM.

And brief (and even understand!!) Plan A and Plan B for holds when weather or stupid-pilot-tricks necessitate them.

Thanks guys for the vote of confidence and advice. I need start planning!

D

Excellent advice, in addition you really need to get, read, and understand the NOTAM.

I would second this. The last few years it seems like people are no longer reading (or understanding....or remembering) the notam. You used to NEVER hear people talking back to ATC or asking questions. Now you hear them all the time and it really corks things up. It's not that complicated once you break it down, but make sure you are comfortable with it and ask all your questions ahead of time, not on final.

DEM

As to the original question, grass ops are not an issue, but I would suggest doing a bit of rolling around on something other than fairway quality turf to get familiar with it, prior to the pressure of OSH.

If you're going to HBC your grass time will be limited.

While on the grass, taxi a bit slower than you would otherwise and keep the stick to the belly to keep as much weight off the nose wheel as possible.

The hard part is behind you at this point :)

One other little piece of advice: look closely at your tires the day before you plan to fly home. That thick grass in HBC can hide a flat very effectively if you have wheel pants on. A gentleman parked right near me in 2016 discovered his flat nose gear tire when he pulled his plane out of it's parking spot for departure, causing him a significant delay.

The length and thickness of the grass at OSH creates a lot more drag than you might expect if you're not accustomed to it, too; I know I was surprised at how much power I had to use to keep the plane moving as I taxied to my parking space. Of course, shutting down in that parking space was one of the best moments of my life!

One thing that helps me at Oskosh is taking two 12"x12" 3/8" plywood pieces to place under the tires when I park. With the plane sitting for the week, and especially if it rains, my little tires tend to sink enough to make it a little difficult to get it rolling when time to leave. The plywood helps a lot...

One thing that helps me at Oskosh is taking two 12"x12" 3/8" plywood pieces to place under the tires when I park. With the plane sitting for the week, and especially if it rains, my little tires tend to sink enough to make it a little difficult to get it rolling when time to leave. The plywood helps a lot...

Great idea. I left this year after some rain and that initial push is a real bear.

Larry

Great idea. I left this year after some rain and that initial push is a real bear.

Larry

Hint: you don't need to move the whole plane at once. Push against one wingtip or the tail and lever one of the tires out of its depression, then do the other. Much easier than trying to manhandle the whole thing.

Plywood squares under the tires do help, though.

Hint: you don't need to move the whole plane at once. Push against one wingtip or the tail and lever one of the tires out of its depression, then do the other. Much easier than trying to manhandle the whole thing.

Plywood squares under the tires do help, though.

This is a bear with the A model. I have struggled with that move. Pushing one wing or the tail causes the nose wheel to quickly pivot to it's stops within a few inches of movement. I have tried lifting the nosewheel via the tail and have my son push a wing. However, I have never tried levering one main up by pushing down the other wing. I will give that a try next time. Thanks.

Larry

This is a bear with the A model. I have struggled with that move. Pushing one wing or the tail causes the nose wheel to quickly pivot to it's stops within a few inches of movement. I have tried lifting the nosewheel via the tail and have my son push a wing. However, I have never tried levering one main up by pushing down the other wing. I will give that a try next time. Thanks.

Larry

To be clear, I'm suggesting pushing aft on one wing and/or sideways on the aft fuselage to rotate the airplane enough to free one main gear tire. Then do the same to the other side of the airplane to free the other main. The nosewheel or tailwheel will go along for the ride.

Back