What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Alternator Pivot Bolt Orientation

Sleepy

Sponsor
I am helping a friend install a Plane Power 60A alternator on a Lycoming IO-360-M1B. As I was tightening the boss mount bracket, I noticed the pivot bolt will not clear the flywheel when inserting it from the front as shown in the installation drawing. It is close, but with the bracket bolts tight it just will not go.

It seems to me there should not be any reason why I cannot just reverse the direction of the pivot bolt and insert it from the back side of the alternator.

I am probably overthinking this, but am I missing something here? The reason I ask, is after about an hour of searching VAF and the web I cannot find a single diagram or post showing anything, but the bolt being inserted from the front side of the alternator.

Thanks,
Scott

There is absolutely no reason you can't insert the bolt from the rear!

Is there something special about the M1B or your flywheel that makes it different from any other 360? If there isn't, I would be curious why this is necessary on my engine and not others.

DEM

Back