What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Jan 2018 - ADSB-OUT Decision point

mantry

Well Known Member
Here we are, 24 months before the ADSB-OUT Mandate is (SUPPOSED) to take affect and I'm wondering where the industry is at as far as ADSB-OUT solutions that are available to the RV community.

Based on my 2017 OSHKOSH visit a fellow at Open Flight Solutions said "Give it another year....." when asked about which ADSB-OUT solution to go with. Only problem is I fly out of KBTF near KSLC which is doing a TON of training in the area so there are quite a few targets, that coupled with the fact that a friend is going with the Garmin GDL82 solution for his Cessna 185 and installing it now.

I'm getting the itch! My Conditional inspection is due this month and I'm trying to decide, should I do it NOW or wait until Jan 2019's conditional inspection.....

Seems that the major players out there from my limited knowledge are:
Add On's
1. Garmin GDL82 for ADSB-OUT if you don't want to update your transponder
2. uAvionix Echo UAT

New Transponders
1. Appaero
2. Garmin xxxx
3. King xxxx
4. Trig xxxxx

My RV7 does NOT have an EFIS. It only has a Dynon D10A. My transponder is a Garmin GTX320A, which while it is digital does not have the ability to transmit squawk info out an RS232 signal. So this means I either have to replace my transponder or use an add on type unit.
Also, I do NOT have a WAAS GPS on board and I'm currently using a STRATUX (Flight box from Open Flight Solutions) that is hard wired for power but is velcro'ed to the glare shield with the tall rubber duck antennas(ie: No plane mounted external antenna for it)

Seems to me that the uAvionix ECHO UAT might be the best way to go. ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS. INEXPENSIVE and EASY TO INSTALL would be what I'm looking for!!!!!

Any other obvious solutions that I should be looking for?
Not excited about ripping my transponder out and replacing it. I really like the sounds of the L3 LYNX all in 1 solution but WOW $$$$$$

Looking forward to your replies!

PS: I use FlyQEFB on an iPad for ADSB-IN viewing..

Last edited:
I installed 3 ads-b out solutions in the last 2 days. One was the GDL82 and 2 were the Stratus ESG. I have a line of people waiting to do similar things. Either of these is usually a half-day install, maybe a day if things are tight behind the panel. I quoted a Bonanza about $250 more for the Stratus ES than the GDL82. He has an old King KT76, so that was a no-brained for him.

Here are my thoughts currently, for the certified units:
1. If you have an old transponder (Narco AT150, King KT76x, Garmin 320, etc), it makes the most sense to upgrade that, unless you are on a very tight budget. The new digital transponders with a key for each number and a VFR button are very nice. The Stratus ES and ESG are super simple to install and program, but there are other units out there that are nice units, but more complicated to program.
2. If you have a WAAS IFR navigator that is compliant as a position source, then you can save a few hundred dollars and install a Stratus ES, a Trig or a number of other units that don?t require you to run a cable and install a GPS antenna.
3. If you have a digital transponder, then the GDL82 is a fairly simple option, and reasonably priced, especially if you don?t have a certified position source.
Note: for those who have an older transponder and choose to install a GDL82, that is a good solution, because there is a glut in the market of used transponders that will just slide into your tray when yours fails, just remember that when you change a transponder, you need to get it certified by an Avionics shop, so that does add to the cost, usually $100.
4. If you have a desire to be able to use anonymous mode of UAT, then the GDL82 is a good option, but there are also a lot of NavWorx ADS600B units out there that can use a Garmin GNS or GTN as a position source, thanks to the AMOC?s that members here have helped get approved, that make a great solution with in as well.
5. If you have an EFIS system that supports a remote transponder, then that is often a good choice, and probably the easiest to install overall. Most of them also have an inexpensive compliant GPS position source available if you don?t have a compliant navigator already.

For the experimental units:
1. I have installed one Echo UAT box, and was fairly happy with the way it installed. It is very small, and the 430W as a position source made it that much more simple (except for adding a wire into the 430W with those ridiculous backshells that so many instruments used to use, and some still do). There are, however, some bugs that people have been having to work through, which hopefully will be resolved soon.
2. I haven?t installed any of the other still-available experimental units yet, so I can?t speak to them, but they are reasonably-priced and probably fairly easy to install as well.

There will likely be other options available in the next 2 years. If you plan to do the installation yourself, then waiting isn?t a big deala. If you plan to have a shop do the install, then you may start running out of time to get an installation slot when you get into 2019.

Your quandery is about the same as all of us. I just went for it recently and am rather happy with the results. I went ahead with the whole 9 yards by getting the GTX345/Area 660 package from ACS. Last weekend I picked up a target coming right for me and could not find it on my scan. After I changed course and altitude I did pick him up, but the early head’s up seemed to pay for the whole unit.
If you only get an out unit then you are spending a lot of money and getting nothing other than compliance. For a little more you can actually improve the capability of your plane.

Last edited:
Just completed 40 hrs Phase 1 in my RV7. Dual AFS 5600's with all the bells & whistles. As much as some may be dreading the ADS-B mandate, I have to say that it really is a huge leap forward for aviation. The benefits that it offers, coupled with the technology available in todays avionics, adds a whole new dimension to flying. Having Nexrad wx, metars/tafs, and traffic, as well as AOA, Synthetic vision and TAWS is a huge leap forward in safety. Of course everything comes at a cost, but I would recommend upgrading sooner than later, and if you can swing it get as many goodies as possible. You won't regret it!

GDL82 adds consistent/reliable ADS-B traffic in

Admitting a bias, I have a GDL82. No regrets.

If you only get an out unit then you are spending a lot of money and getting nothing other than compliance. For a little more you can actually improve the capability of your plane.

I would state the above quote differently. I have been flying with 2 ADS-B IN devices, a GDL39 and a Scout. They both feed ForeFlight, and the 39 also feeds my aera 660. However until my GDL82 is operating I depend on someone else randomly flying in my vicinity for me to receive regular traffic information.

Sooooo, installing the GDL82 gets me consistent traffic updates, even if I'm the only plane around! Seems to me a benefit of my "Add-on/out unit" as well as 2020 compliance.

BTW some data relevant to another recent thread, ForeFlight does announce "TRAFFIC", with details, through my headset.

Carl

Last edited:
There is really no benefit to doing it now vs. next year at this point, IMHO. The rebate program ended in September and Feb 15th is the deadline to have flight testing done. That being said I have already completed mine and am waiting on the check. I bought my -6A last dec :)D246 hours of ear to ear grinning ago:D) and it was loaded with Narco equipment. Although it worked I was never really comfortable filing IFR and shooting approaches down to minimums.
I bit the bullet and went Garmin. I went with the GTX 345, GTN 650, and 2 G5's.the GTX 345 transponder mainly because for an extra 1000$ more than the 335 it satisfies the requirement with adsb out plus it gives me traffic and weather in, which bluetooths to Foreflight and my 796. This is probably a more expensive way to go (anything containing the word Garmin usually is) but I have been flying with Garmin since the 80's and I trust them, and I needed a panel upgrade anyway. Hope this helps.

Look at the bigger picture

Mark,

I?ve worked with a few people on ADS-B out compliance. The conversation typically starts with ?what do I get to make me legal??. At that point I start a broader discussion as I usually find they are looking for the simple plug something in solution instead of this being an opportunity to take a step toward the panel upgrade they really want. In other words I caution them that the $K of money spent today to just do ADS-B out could be a large chunk of the price tag to have a modern panel, and ADS-B out as a side product.

I was ADS-B out before ADS-B was cool (2012 timeframe). The RV-10 had an EFIS, a TSO GPS navigator and a mod-S transponder. These were all selected for the IFR mission, not for ADS-B out. If interested, the panel was dual SkyVIew displays, the GTN-650 and the Dynon transponder. Later on I added the Dynon intergrated ADS-B in receiver (the best money I ever spent). Dynon now has a stand alone ADS-B out certified GPS receiver so if you don?t plan on IFR work you can skip the very pricey TSO GPS navigator.

My point again is look at your panel as an integrated system, not a collection of parts. While there is more up front cost to do a new panel, why spend money on stuff that does not support your endstate target?

Carl

If you already have the Stratux for ADS-B in, seems a uAvionix skyBeacon would be a good alternative if you have an externally mounted nav light. If you have a nav/strobe, they're coming out with an integrated strobe soon. It only takes a few minutes to install and no additional antennas, wiring, or cabling required. However, it won't fit if your nav or nav/strobe is behind a fairing. That's the combination (skyBeacon/Stratux) I'm using with my iFly 740 and it works great!

Last edited:

I disagree with this completely. I think getting a dedicated out is the smartest move out there. And cheapest solution. I am a firm believer in keeping your "in" as cheap and changeable over the years as possible (i.e. portable like GDL 51/52/39, Scout, Stratux etc...).

So effectively you permanently comply with "out" and be done with it. Incredibly cheap with a UAT out, especially when paired with the like of a current or used GTX-327 as alluded to by Jesse above. And anonymous capability is a cool side effect.

Then you decide on your "in" solution and can change your mind at any time for a cheap swap out to a different "in". As technology changes you can keep up with the latest. The out will never change. And you will never be permanently married to Garmin or Stratus etc. with your "in".

Even in the case of a G3X I suggest pairing the system with a GTX-32 (or 327) Mode C and a GDL-82 for UAT "out". Rather than the more expensive and modern 1090ES "outs" promoted for use with the G3X (like GTX 45R or 23ES). Then use a GDL-52/52R for your "in". All compatible with the G3X display for weather, traffic, xm music and squawk entry.

Jim

49clipper

One problem I see, is having to have 1090ES if you ever want to fly out of the country (like Canada or Alaska). You have to have those when leaving the border. Or, am I reading it wrong? I want to fly to Alaska, and as I see it, you must have 1090ES 'out".

I disagree with this completely. I think getting a dedicated out is the smartest move out there. And cheapest solution. I am a firm believer in keeping your "in" as cheap and changeable over the years as possible (i.e. portable like GDL 51/52/39, Scout, Stratux etc...).

So effectively you permanently comply with "out" and be done with it. Incredibly cheap with a UAT out, especially when paired with the like of a current or used GTX-327 as alluded to by Jesse above. And anonymous capability is a cool side effect.

Then you decide on your "in" solution and can change your mind at any time for a cheap swap out to a different "in". As technology changes you can keep up with the latest. The out will never change. And you will never be permanently married to Garmin or Stratus etc. with your "in".

Even in the case of a G3X I suggest pairing the system with a GTX-32 (or 327) Mode C and a GDL-82 for UAT "out". Rather than the more expensive and modern 1090ES "outs" promoted for use with the G3X (like GTX 45R or 23ES). Then use a GDL-52/52R for your "in". All compatible with the G3X display for weather, traffic, xm music and squawk entry.

Jim

Good point but keep in mind if you want to have traffic and weather on a GTN650 or 750 there?s a limited number of in solutions that will display on there....I believe the cheapest solution for that aspect is still the gtx345 as opposed to an out solution and one of the few other in solutions.

Good point but keep in mind if you want to have traffic and weather on a GTN650 or 750 there?s a limited number of in solutions that will display on there....I believe the cheapest solution for that aspect is still the gtx345 as opposed to an out solution and one of the few other in solutions.
This is true. However, then again, this is exactly the situation Jim was referring to in paragraph 3 of his post. One in this situation is indeed locked into having to deal with one company's particular offering with little to no other options.

The GTN-650 display is woefully inadequate to display ADS-B in information.

Carl

One problem I see, is having to have 1090ES if you ever want to fly out of the country (like Canada or Alaska). You have to have those when leaving the border. Or, am I reading it wrong? I want to fly to Alaska, and as I see it, you must have 1090ES 'out".

NO, this is not true. Canada has no ADSB requirement (at least not at RV altitudes). And AK is the same as the lower 48 (it is part of the US!). Now, I think some places like Bermuda may become a problem if you have only a UAT, not sure.

Mark,

My point again is look at your panel as an integrated system, not a collection of parts. While there is more up front cost to do a new panel, why spend money on stuff that does not support your endstate target?

Carl

+1
Unless you're sure you won't want or need ADSB, the planning should start from the beginning: Will my choice of EFIS display ADSB data from brand X, or will I be locked into brand Y, and will I be happy with that? etc.
As a side note, I firmly believe you want traffic data right in front of you; with audio is a big plus. Where you display wx data (including a laptop) doesn't matter much.

All good discussion here. True no problem in Canada and Mexico. For the foreseeable future. I maintain aircraft owned and operated in Mexico that cross the US border regularly and those affluent owners in the know about their government scoff at Mexico mandating any type of ADS-B out. Remember it is the FAA and avionics manufacturers that are marketing the idea that 1090ES will be required in our good neighbor countries. It's not coming from Canada, Mexico or the Bahamas. It's coming from regulators in Oklahoma and marketing departments in Kansas.

Over 18,000 feet. Fine. 1090ES. Going to fly your RV across the Atlantic to Europe. Fine. 1090ES. Going to fly anywhere in North and South America from the North Pole to Patagonia at or below 18,000 ft? UAT out at 978Mhz. Mode C would be my personal configuration for any UAT out.

Jim

I am a firm believer in keeping your "in" as cheap and changeable over the years as possible (i.e. portable like GDL 51/52/39, Scout, Stratux etc...).
Jim

I am not a fan of portable avionics in an owned plane. Particularly an RV where space is limited and aesthetics are generally high. I was thrilled to get rid of my Stratus, the power supply to it, and the antenna stuck to my wind screen. My GTX integrates into my GPS so that I do not need another portable (tablet) to access the data.
Also, I would not consider the portables "cheap".

Here we are, 24 months before the ADSB-OUT Mandate is (SUPPOSED) to take affect

I think many assume there will be some sort of extension granted for the mandate. I recently received this in my email and thought it was interesting for those that may be thinking that is how it will go down:

" FAA Safety Team | Safer Skies Through Education
Your ADS-B Questions Answered: Get the Facts Here
Notice Number: NOTC7575

Question: Will the January 1, 2020 ADS-B Out compliance date be extended? And is it true that the airlines have been allowed to delay their installation?

Answer: The FAA has consistently demonstrated its commitment to the January 1, 2020 ADS-B Out compliance date.

The rule was published in May 2010, nearly ten years in advance to allow ample time for the production and installation of equipment on aircraft and complete deployment of the ATC ground network (completed in 2014). ADS-B is currently used by ATC in all but the smallest facilities where integration with the automation is on track to support the compliance date.

Equipment options are varied and plentiful; there are approved ADS-B systems for almost all aircraft types. Manufacturers share this information with the FAA which is available through a searchable database at www.faa.gov/nextgen/equipadsb/installation/equipment/adsb_ready/

The rumor that airlines have been given a delay to the January 1, 2020 ADS-B Out compliance date is not true. Exemption 12555 allows the use of older GPS equipment until 2025, but still requires that operators install and operate rule-compliant ADS-B Out equipment by January 1, 2020.

With all this in place, there is no need and no reason to expect a delay in the compliance date of January 1, 2020.

Don?t Get Left in the Hangar. Equip Now!

There?s only 24 months remaining before the 2020 ADS-B Out equipage deadline.

For more information, please visit the Equip ADS-B website www.faa.gov/nextgen/equipadsb/.

Questions about equipping? Please see our FAQs or contact us at [email protected]."

I think many assume there will be some sort of extension granted for the mandate. I recently received this in my email and thought it was interesting for those that may be thinking that is how it will go down:

" FAA Safety Team | Safer Skies Through Education
Notice Number: NOTC7575

Question: Will the January 1, 2020 ADS-B Out compliance date be extended? And is it true that the airlines have been allowed to delay their installation?

Answer: The FAA has consistently demonstrated its commitment to the January 1, 2020 ADS-B Out compliance date.

All correct! However there is a new sheriff in town since January 2017, and a definite effort to reduce regulations. Seems possible that there could be a delay to the ADS-B Out mandate, especially if the flight departments of the bizjets inform the CEOs that their fleet can't make 1/1/2020.

Then again, if some high-publicity incident occurs, and the immediate solution offered is "ADS-B OUT" any delay to the 1/1/2020 mandate would be impossible.

It's a coin-toss...

Carl

CANADIAN ADS-B SOLUTION

For my fellow Canadians out there or anyone with info on the subject.

Anyone heard anything about the Canadian ''Talk about'' Satellite based ADS-B solution??:confused:

Are the current ADS-B solution able to work with a Satellite based system??

Good to know before someone spend $$$ on something that wouldn't work in Canada..

G3X Expert ( Steve ) did you hear anything at Garmin on this??

Thanks

Bruno

I believe all the UAT units have the ability to "randomize" your ID when squawking 1200, whereas the 1030 units don't. For me, this is huge. No, I'm not a tin foil hat wearer who's paranoid about big brother. But I'm not about to give them any more info than I have to. It's entirely possible that if I get involved in a minor incident, or a neighbor who doesn't like planes complains I buzzed his house (I fly out of a farm strip), that the feds could pull some recent ADS-B data and find that I momentarily dipped down to 950 ft over town on a turbulent day and begin to pile on. No thanks!

What are the odds of this? Pretty slim. Even better if I fly by the rules, which I honestly try to do. Everyone's needs are different, but since I don't fly in places 1030 there is no benefit and thus no need to subject myself to added risk.

Whatever I get will have IN. In the last 3 years I've had 3 close calls, 2 with my family on board, and 2 in Class C! Time for cockpit traffic.

DEM

Anyone have reason to believe the available options will change in the next year? We are getting close to Sun N Fun Times.

Any new equipment in the coming soon stage?

I believe all the UAT units have the ability to "randomize" your ID when squawking 1200, whereas the 1030 units don't. For me, this is huge. No, I'm not a tin foil hat wearer who's paranoid about big brother. But I'm not about to give them any more info than I have to. It's entirely possible that if I get involved in a minor incident, or a neighbor who doesn't like planes complains I buzzed his house (I fly out of a farm strip), that the feds could pull some recent ADS-B data and find that I momentarily dipped down to 950 ft over town on a turbulent day and begin to pile on. No thanks!

What are the odds of this? Pretty slim. Even better if I fly by the rules, which I honestly try to do. Everyone's needs are different, but since I don't fly in places 1030 there is no benefit and thus no need to subject myself to added risk.

Whatever I get will have IN. In the last 3 years I've had 3 close calls, 2 with my family on board, and 2 in Class C! Time for cockpit traffic.

DEM

The Garmin GTX345 lets you configure it so that you can change the N-number when you want; however, I don't think any of the options let you scramble your S-code, which is a unique identifier back to you.

The Garmin GTX345 lets you configure it so that you can change the N-number when you want; however, I don't think any of the options let you scramble your S-code, which is a unique identifier back to you.

I have observed that the Garmin GDL82 changes the S-code when Anonymous is selected. Going through a few power cycles and Anonymous Switch on/off cycles that "random" S-code changes (is not always the same "random" code).

The 82 also has a USB connection. Using a laptop and the Garmin install utility the user may set/change the N number and associated S-code that are broadcast when Anonymous is OFF or, regardless of Anonymous switch setting, when the squawk is not 1200.

Carl

Will the Echo UAT with SkyFYX also provide GPS position to my iPad running FlyQEFB similar to what I?m doing with my Stratux Box?
Thanks

Will the Echo UAT with SkyFYX also provide GPS position to my iPad running FlyQEFB similar to what I’m doing with my Stratux Box?
Thanks

Talked with Shane @ UAVIONIX (GREAT GUY!!!!) and he said YES that the WAAS position source is PART of the GDL90 format that gets sent out with all the other information.

WOOT!

Last edited:
I am not a fan of portable avionics in an owned plane. Particularly an RV where space is limited and aesthetics are generally high. I was thrilled to get rid of my Stratus, the power supply to it, and the antenna stuck to my wind screen. My GTX integrates into my GPS so that I do not need another portable (tablet) to access the data.
Also, I would not consider the portables "cheap".

I have a Stratux with 978/1090 and AHRS. I think it cost be about $150 and 15 minutes to assemble. I remote-mounted mine, connecting it to my RAMI AV-74 ADS-B antenna on the belly. The only thing visible is a small GPS "puck" on my glareshield. It displays via wifi on my iFly 740 and works great. I consider it "cheap" relative to the alternatives!

A somber view.

Then again, if some high-publicity incident occurs, and the immediate solution offered is "ADS-B OUT" any delay to the 1/1/2020 mandate would be impossible.

It's a coin-toss...

Carl

I?m of the opinion that inevitably there will be a high-publicity incident. It may not be the sort one would expect. When ADS-B broadcasts unique ship ID and near exact location with zero security enhancements......do we really expect some won?t take that and use it to facilitate crimes? IMHO, we will be ?upgrading? again when it is realized how ignorant it is to assume everyone is a friendly.

You might want to look into bullet point 5 on this unit from Garmin:
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/540911

I think the question hanging is exactly what does anonymous mode actually do? Reading the above Garmin link, ? for inflight privacy, an Anonymous mode can be set to mask your aircraft ID from displaying on other aircraft?s ADS-B ?In? traffic display?
I think folks are assuming this will hide their ID from the FAA. Something I personally doubt.
Tim Andres

I think the question hanging is exactly what does anonymous mode actually do? Reading the above Garmin link, “ for inflight privacy, an Anonymous mode can be set to mask your aircraft ID from displaying on other aircraft’s ADS-B “In” traffic display“
I think folks are assuming this will hide their ID from the FAA. Something I personally doubt.
Tim Andres

Reading the Garmin documentation it sounds like it is actually anonymous. From the installation manual -

2.1.1 Anonymous Mode
In anonymous mode, the GDL 82 transmits a temporary address instead of the aircraft’s assigned ICAO address code,
and a temporary Flight ID.

And since it only works with a Mode C transponder that is the only stuff with an ID sent to the FAA stations.

They say it?s anonymous but I don?t buy that the data stream doesn?t occasionally send your actual info. I saw this with my navworx unit in anonymous mode when the FAA called saying my installation failed. The gentleman at the FAA was real sketchy on why he knew my plane had adsb when I had squawked 1200 the whole time and was in anonymous mode.

Back