What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Are Superior and Titan using same parts?

dwranda

Well Known Member
I'm just learning about these engines, but had an engine builder tell me the kit he quoted me was using Superior titan parts and that some Superior parts are sold with the Titan name. I thought they were 2 separate entities but then again I don't know much about them. I guess I believe him, but would like a second opinion from the brain trust. Do they use the same parts? Got a quote from him on the Superior kit and also a quote from Titan and they were within 1k of each other.

I'm just learning about these engines, but had an engine builder tell me the kit he quoted me was using Superior titan parts and that some Superior parts are sold with the Titan name. I thought they were 2 separate entities but then again I don't know much about them. I guess I believe him, but would like a second opinion from the brain trust. Do they use the same parts? Got a quote from him on the Superior kit and also a quote from Titan and they were within 1k of each other.

Separate entities. They both are now owned by Chinese companies which the engine builder might have been trying to convey (guessing here). Superior Engines now owned by Superior Aviation Beijing and Continental Motors (Eci) is owned by Aviation Industry Corporation of China.

They both make their own stuff but follow the Lycoming standards in manufacturing, materials and testing to be FFA-PMA equivalent parts. This is what I understand from my research when building my XIO360 from Lycoming/Superior/Eci sourced parts. Example: I couldn't find a new Superior crank so had to use new ECI crank.

They have their own p/n's, so technically they are different parts. I wouldn't be surprised if they use the same vendors for some of the parts, but most likely each has it's own drawings, specs, QA standards, etc...

When I bought new Superior cylinder kits for an O-360 I overhauled it came with ECI pistons. They were in an ECI box inside the superior box. I called Superior to ask and they said they PMA every part in the engine except the piston, which they just bought from ECI. Go figure.

DEM

Back