What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Airtex ELT 345 install

Maxrate

Well Known Member
I decided to install nut plates in the baggage area so the baggage and seat pans can be removed. A search turned up nothing to see if anyone has installed an ELT in this area. The specs show that the Airtex 345 should fit under the baggage area. Trying to keep as much of the install forward for WB. I understand the 7 comes in tail heavy.

I installed mine just behind the bulkhead (on the right side) using the Vans standard mount plate, with some new holes for alignment. For the same reason (W&B), I have it as close to the bulkhead as possible and still allow wires some clearance.

You might be able use the same plate under the baggage floor too. Otherwise, it would be easy to fabricate something.

If you will be using a CS prop, your W&B should be fine. I have a 3 blade Catto with a 20 lb plate on front but it allows me to switch to an EarthX battery (soon) to gain some of that useful load back (~11 lbs).

Keep in mind that you want to be able to access the ELT easily. The idea being that after an accident, if you have to leave the accident site (not recommended! But sometimes necessary), you can take the ELT with you. The odds of this are slim, so I wouldn't put it right in the middle of the seats or anything like that, but I would suggest mounting it somewhere that can be accessed without the use of tools.

DEM

If you plan to carry a PLB (I do), the need to access the ELT may not be important.

Back