What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lycoming IO360 will not shut down with mixture at ICO

gcanyon

I'm New Here
Hoping someone might be able to shed a little light on a recent issue with my IO360 ..... when shutting down I pull the mixture to ICO and the engine will not stop running.... it tries to quit but will not.... I simply switch off the ignition and it shuts down but pulling mixture to ICO should kill the engine.
Thoughts? We have tried lowering the idle, etc.... to no avail.

Dumb question, but you verified the control on the injector is moving all the way into the cutoff position when you move the control? I had the same problem on my Cessna and found that the cable sheath slipped in it's clamp and the arm bottomed on the sheath before it closed fully. It was just a skotch open, doesn't take much.

DEM

Post a photo

Hey George,

It may be a simple adjustment. Put the micture to ICO, and look at where the ICO lever is in relation to the stop on the injector.

What type of injection system do you have?

If it is the silverhawk, it can be adjusted quite easily.

Can you post a photo?

Don

If you are using the Airflow Performance FI system without the purge valve, this can happen. The manual states that at ICO the fuel will not be completely shut off.

ICO

If it?s the RSA the plates that make up the shut off can be removed and polished on a flat surface to improve this situation.

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

This problem is from one of two sources. The most common is the mixture valve is leaking and not shutting off the fuel completely. The servo can be sent out to have this fixed. The second, less common source, is the flow divider valve is not closing when you cut off the fuel and fuel is still seeping into the cylinders.

This problem is from one of two sources. The most common is the mixture valve is leaking and not shutting off the fuel completely. The servo can be sent out to have this fixed. The second, less common source, is the flow divider valve is not closing when you cut off the fuel and fuel is still seeping into the cylinders.

Or a third, albeit short-term, problem - if this is happening during a high heat-soak situation where everything FWF is very hot and fuel flow is low so the fuel is heatsoaked as well, it's possible that the servo can be cutting off the fuel flow properly but the fuel is boiling in the line from the servo to the divider. This can provide enough pressure to the divider, especially if you are running higher vapor-pressure fuels, to lift the divider valve and send some fuel to the cylinders. This should only last for maybe 20-ish seconds or so until the fuel in the line boils out and then the engine will be starved. How long have you let it lope along like this trying to die?

Open the throttle fully if turning off the ignition is a problem, then fix the ICO fault.

Pete

I removed both the FCU and the Spider and sent to Progressive for bench check and , hopefully, fix !! Thanks for all the advice, this forum is awesome !!!

Local help.

Hey George,

If you have further issues, I?m sure if you reach out to Shane Daly at Innovative Wings in Calgary, he could help out or steer you in the right direction.

Lots if experience there.

Don

Back