What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rv6 rear wing spar.

Slouis

I am looking for some advice on removing the rear wing spars from a completed pair of rv6 wings. I need to replace the two inner pieces (W-607D and W-407) on both wings spars because they were drilled incorrectly by the previous owner setting the wing incidencd. It appears that they were not satisfied with the wing incidence so the drilled a second hole on each seide to correct the wing incidence and the two holes overlap creating a long ?figure 8? looking hole. I was informed that this bad hole makes it not airworthy. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Scott Louis
RV 6 in progress.
Scottelouis at gmail

Rv6 rear wing spar

I have already spoke to vans and they sold me the above parts and told me that they need to be replaced. If i can?t determine the best way to replace these i will reach out to vans. It appears from what if understand from the construction plans i may need to remove the main skins on the trailing edge of the wing.

You should be able to drill out the rivets on the offending parts, and drill out some skin rivets to gain access to rivet new ones. If you're not extremely proficient, you might want to find a good sheet metal guy to help. This is a critical area, and you don't want to mess it up taking it apart or putting it back together.

The builder of my RV-4 did that except the holes overlapped. Fortunately only one wing. Discovered it when the wing had to come off after the mechanic put a jack through the wing.

Rv6 rear spar

Already done. This how we found this going over the plans amd the parts already built.

Yes, you'll need to replace at least a section of that aft spar, in accordance with what Vans says. Also, you should check edge distance on the hole in the clevis - the part where this part attaches to the fuselage. If the edge distance is less than 5/8", you'll need to replace that part too.

Those pieces can be replaced without removing the spar. As mentioned you can drill out enough wing root rivets on the bottom skin to gain access to buck rivets or you can cut a couple of access holes in the bottom skin. Covers can then be riveted over the access holes with structural pulled rivets.

I know the second option works because it was done several years ago on an RV-6 with which I am very familiar. ;)

However....you need to be proficient with RV-type construction techniques or get someone who is to do the repair.

Before you got tearing into a set of wings, you may want to have a DER or aerospace engineer take a look at it. There may be an on-wing repair you can do.

I found some bonus holes in the stab on my -8 when I got it, and the Van's tech rep was pretty quick to pull the "replace" trigger. I don't blame them. There is little value for them in investing the engineering on a possible repair for a one-off issue, not to mention the risk vs. something that is known to work.

But for you there might be a lot of value in not having to drill out a bunch of rivets (which has it's own risks), wreck paint, etc....

DEM

Rear Spar

I can help guide you if you are still looking for help. PM me and we can talk in more detail. I'm very experienced with all the Vans models including the 6.

Ryan

Back