What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EnerSys PowerSafe SBS-J16 Battery 220CCA

Chkaharyer99

Well Known Member
Friend
Just bought the SBS-J16 (220 CCA) dry cell battery for my RV-8 to replace the failing PC680 Odyssey.

Anyone using the SBS-J16 battery? Please share your experience with it.

Is dry cell the same as AGM?

Here are the specs. I paid $168.00

Length 7 in.
Width 3 1/16 in.
Height 6 5/8 in.
Drycell Battery
12 Volt
16 Ah @ 10hr rate
220 CCA
520 Cranking Amps for 5 Seconds
28 Minute Reserve Capacity
Cycle life @ 77? F 400 at 100% DOD
-40? F to 140? F Temperature Range
1.75Vpc/77? F
Float Voltage 2.27 Vpc @ 77? F
FAA-PMA Approved

Thanks,

Battery

Just bought the SBS-J16 (220 CCA) dry cell battery for my RV-8 to replace the failing PC680 Odyssey.

Anyone using the SBS-J16 battery? Please share your experience with it.

Is dry cell the same as AGM?

Here are the specs. I paid $168.00

Length 7 in.
Width 3 1/16 in.
Height 6 5/8 in.
Drycell Battery
12 Volt
16 Ah @ 10hr rate
220 CCA
520 Cranking Amps for 5 Seconds
28 Minute Reserve Capacity
Cycle life @ 77° F 400 at 100% DOD
-40° F to 140° F Temperature Range
1.75Vpc/77° F
Float Voltage 2.27 Vpc @ 77° F
FAA-PMA Approved

Thanks,

If I recall what an Oyssey rep told me a few years ago, the PC680 (non-certified) and the SBS-J16 (certified) are essentially the same except that the case for the SBS-J16 has a steel reinforcing band in it.

The info above indicating that the SBS-J16 is a dry cell is incorrect since it is really a recombinant gas sealed lead acid battery. The term "dry cell" is often used for this type of battery, but is technically wrong.

Skylor
RV-8

Thursday, April 20th, 2017, I installed the new EnerSys SBS-J16 (220 CCA) dry cell battery in my RV-8 to replace the failing PC680 Odyssey. The SBS-J16 showed 13.09 volts going in. The new battery cranks the SkyTec lightweight starter nicely.

Thanks for the comments Skylor. The two batteries look identical except for the color of the case, orange (J16) vs black (PC680). The SBS-J16 claims 220 CCA whereas the PC680 indicates 170 CCA.

Time will tell.

Still working great. It gets cold at night in NorCal and after two weeks off it was 12.6 volts on cool (36 F) morning. Cranked the B&C starter as expected.

They are not quite the same. From an EnerSys application engineer...

The main difference between the two is that the Odyssey will have an alloy additive to help with deep discharge recovery ? i.e. someone leaves the interior vehicle light on and discharges it very deeply. The SBS J16 may not recover well from an extremely deep discharge, but will have a lower self-discharge rate (longer shelf life), longer overall service life, and some other benefits.

I replaced my PC680 with the SBS J16 about 8 months ago and it contunues to work beautifully. Of course I never had any problem with the PC680's but decided to spring for the PMA'd SBS last time for just a few extra dollars.

I've had one in my Cessna 170 for a little over 3 years. It cranks over my O360 Lycoming (B&C starter) just fine. If it's cold, which around here is 5-10 degF, and I haven't extensively preheated, it can crank pretty slow. But it always turns over and has not yet failed to start the airplane.

Keep in mind that the 2C (or is it C2..can't remember) rating on this battery is not that long. They have plenty of amps for starting, but not a ton of endurance. As modern RV's are typically electrical airplanes (ignitions, flight instruments, flaps, etc...) this is something to keep in mind. If you fly a lot at night or IFR, do the math and make sure you are comfortable with the result.

DEM

Any more comments??

The PC 680 never really did it for my 0360 ...always seemed to struggle when first start of the day. Skytec NL and new cables and solenoids.
Probably try the EarthX but the price is pretty high.
Weight is not a priority for me since it helps up front for balance.
Seriously considering the SBS-J16 if it will crank stronger.
Comments appreciated...

Experience with the SBS-J16

Anyone have a "one year later" report on this battery?

Just had my second PC680 die; it went belly up (at a somewhat inconvenient time and location....) after serving a few days shy of two years.

I have the SBS-J16. Been a little over two years and 300+ hours with no sign of degradation. It has never been on a charger. I fly weekly so it is exercised regularly. Cranks strong.

Thursday, April 20th, 2017, I installed the new EnerSys SBS-J16 (220 CCA) dry cell battery in my RV-8 to replace the failing PC680 Odyssey. The SBS-J16 showed 13.09 volts going in. The new battery cranks the SkyTec lightweight starter nicely.

Thanks for the comments Skylor. The two batteries look identical except for the color of the case, orange (J16) vs black (PC680). The SBS-J16 claims 220 CCA whereas the PC680 indicates 170 CCA.

Time will tell.

I removed the EnrSys SBS-J16 battery from my RV-8 on June 2, 2021. It was still cranking the B&C starter great. No issues to report. Satisfied with the performance it provided. Replaced due to age.

I installed a new Odyssey PC680.

Running a dual SDS CPI2 now.

I removed the EnrSys SBS-J16 battery from my RV-8 on June 2, 2021. It was still cranking the B&C starter great. No issues to report. Satisfied with the performance it provided. Replaced due to age. ...
Thanks for the pirep, Charlie. Did you do anything special? Charging? Any events where the battery got completely drained? Do you fly regularly?

Thanks for the pirep, Charlie. Did you do anything special? Charging? Any events where the battery got completely drained? Do you fly regularly?

No events where the alternator failed and the battery was completely drained. No supplemental charging over the course of four plus years. No battery tender. No trickle charging. Never left the master on.

Sometimes I go a month without flying. Typically fly between 50 - 75 hours per year.

I would definitely buy and use another.

Back