What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GTN 650 Problem

mlwynn

Well Known Member
Hi folks,

I'm hoping someone out there knows Garmin. Weird thing happened. I put in the card to update the nav data. Got the standard message, do you want to update, said yes and the system installed the latest update. Then the screen dimmed to dark. The home light remains on, the direct light is lit. The radio works fine (except I can't change the frequency because I can't see anything). The rest of the screen remains black.

I had seen this happen a couple of times after turning the power off and on too frequently in ground checks. Always worked fine the next time I came back. I returned a couple of days later and still no visible data. When I power up, I get the Garmin on the screen. This dims to dark and that's the last I see. A friend suggested it was the auto dim so I tried a flashlight on the sensor, no change.

Any ideas on where to proceed from here?

GTN650 Dimmer Settings

Hi All,

I am in the same boat. Since a recent upgrade of the system, my Dimmer setting have gone haywire. Staying dark when transitioning to light, staying bright when transitioning to Night.

Could people who are using the photocell as the dimmer (especially in an RV-10) post their current dimmer settings. It would be a great help.

Thanks,
Andrew.

My problem solved

I should have posted how this was resolved. I had built a dimmer circuit with a B&C controller. When I disconnected the GTN from this, the screen went back to normal. I guess something is funky in that circuit, which I have yet to get into.

I have the factory settings in the dimmer control area and it seems to work just fine on its own sensor

Hi All,

I am in the same boat. Since a recent upgrade of the system, my Dimmer setting have gone haywire. Staying dark when transitioning to light, staying bright when transitioning to Night.

Could people who are using the photocell as the dimmer (especially in an RV-10) post their current dimmer settings. It would be a great help.

Thanks,
Andrew.

To be honest, I think mine is still at the default setting.

Default settings

That is great to hear that the defaults work, Could someone take a few shots and post them or document them for me. That would be a big help solving this issue.

Thanks in advance.
Andrew.

I sent a PM.

I can't link a photo at the moment, but......

Lighting Configuration

Display
Source: Photocell
Min: 0.14%

Keys
Source: Photocell
Min: 0.0%

I don't have a photo of the configure Photocell screen at the moment

Back