What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon SkyView Autopilot Knobs and AP panels

Dgamble

Well Known Member
I recently installed the two additional SkyView autopilot panels and have found them to be a very useful upgrade to the standard autopilot. They offer much easier access to the Complex menu, and the autotrim alone is such an extremely helpful feature that I probably would have installed the panels just for that.

As to what it takes to install them in a completed plane, the story is here:

http://www.schmetterlingaviation.com/2015/07/automating-autopilot.html

Conversion harness

Can you share information about your work-around dealing with the conversion harness and the installation of this upgrade? Vans website says, "Retrofit applications should cut the existing panel using the supplied template to avoid removal of the engine controls. If your RV-12 has the older Conversion harnesses for Finish kits shipped prior to 2012, these modules cannot be easily installed - Van's does not have the necessary schematic and instructions to adapt the older wiring harnesses."
Slane

I am having the same problems, I have the D180 harness with the Skyview upgrade. All I want to install is the AP Panel, but am running into problems finding installation instructions for it.

My (partially completed) experience

I am having the same problems, I have the D180 harness with the Skyview upgrade. All I want to install is the AP Panel, but am running into problems finding installation instructions for it.

I also have the Skyview upgrade, and was a bit dismayed to find out from Van's that the AP and Knobs were not supported. I found, however, that things seemed to work OK for me (though I haven't got up in the air yet):

1. Cutting the holes in the center panel was no problem--everything fits--not sure if there was ever any problem with that.
2. I unplugged the existing autopilot Dsub from the magical black box. This thing is hooked into several different spots via the conversion harnesses. The old/existing Dsub I just tied some tie wraps around so that nobody would attempt to plug it back in--didn't seem worth the trouble to attempt to strip things out from where it is all connected.
3. I removed and added the wiring to the switch and AP disconnect button to the new harness.
4. I had spliced power to the cabin light to two wires feeding the AP disconnect button light in the old wiring--I removed this from the old wiring and spliced it into the same wires feeding from the new Dsub to the AP disconnect.

From all my studying of the different electrical diagrams, it appears that all the right connections are still being made. My "ground flying" of the autopilot--turning the AP on and seeing what happens--has the servos wiggling slightly for straight and level flight, and, as expected, if I change the heading bug, causes the controls to go all the way to the stops because the plane isn't really changing any direction while parked.

Not being back in the air yet, I haven't got everything completely tested. Hopefully there will be no surprises. If anyone else has studied the problem and found something I've overlooked, please let me know.

I also have the Skyview upgrade, and was a bit dismayed to find out from Van's that the AP and Knobs were not supported. I found, however, that things seemed to work OK for me (though I haven't got up in the air yet):

1. Cutting the holes in the center panel was no problem--everything fits--not sure if there was ever any problem with that.
2. I unplugged the existing autopilot Dsub from the magical black box. This thing is hooked into several different spots via the conversion harnesses. The old/existing Dsub I just tied some tie wraps around so that nobody would attempt to plug it back in--didn't seem worth the trouble to attempt to strip things out from where it is all connected.
3. I removed and added the wiring to the switch and AP disconnect button to the new harness.
4. I had spliced power to the cabin light to two wires feeding the AP disconnect button light in the old wiring--I removed this from the old wiring and spliced it into the same wires feeding from the new Dsub to the AP disconnect.
I did the exact same thing and everything is working as advertised. The only problems I ran into (that weren't of my own making) were:

- the very complete additional instructions on the Van's Support page miss a critical step: you have to run the Network Detect function before the panels will work
- if you use the Van's SkyView config file and don't have the canopy latch switch installed, you will have to remove the mapping for it in the EMS Sensor Mappings to get rid of the warning message and alarm.

One thing I might still change is the Van's autopilot settings are such that engaging the nav/trk hold causes a rather sharp response from the roll servo.

Last edited:
Because of the way the Skyview network works, all you would have to do it disconnect one of the network cables from the Skyview screen (assuming both are used already) and run that to the knob or AP panel, then daisy chain back to the screen and everything is connected. The trim functions on the AP panel would be a little more complicated, but can't be that bad.

I haven't worked with Dynon's RV-12 harness box, but the Skyview works the way it works, so this should be a very straightforward approach.

Oh, cables to daisy chain can be made or can be purchased from Dynon.

You can buy a pre-cut panel from Vans.
The plan pages that Van's includes with the panels kit mention that, but if I remember correctly they only support the Garmon GTR-200, not the older SL-40 or a GTR-225. I still would have been torn had a panel for the SL-40 been available - as much as I dreaded cutting the holes, I really, really dislike removing the engine cables. I know there's a post-airworthiness fix for that, but I'm finding avoidance to work pretty well too.

. . . "One thing I might still change is the Van's autopilot settings are such that engaging the nav/trk hold causes a rather sharp response from the roll servo." . . .
Roll sensitivity needs to be reduced a little. I would decrease the roll sensitivity, one number at a time, until that dampens out.

Easy fix.

Roll sensitivity needs to be reduced a little. I would decrease the roll sensitivity, one number at a time, until that dampens out.

Easy fix.

Another way is to just wait until you are right on the magenta line and heading/tracking the right direction. This serves to dampen the abruptness of the roll servo trying to do what you want it to do (but it doesn't have the finesse of the pilot).:)

Last edited:
A/P knobs w/ Skyview Touch

Are the knobs and AP panel a ...
a) a nice addition to a Skyview Touch panel?
b) an unnecessary addition/expense to the Skyview Touch?
or c)?

or c)?
it would depend to some degree how much you value the auto trim. The touch screen helps out with the issue of having only a single knob by allowing you to set the active mode for the knob simply by tapping the associated area on the screen (altimeter, heading, etc.).

I prefer physical buttons to touchscreen, but if I had the touchscreen I doubt if I would have installed the panels, if not for the autotrim.

I have the D180 with the AP-74 panel. I really like the setup I navigate with WingX on an iPad mini. Sometimes in chop I find it difficult to use the touchscreen on it. Is that a problem for you guys with the touchscreen Skyview?

or c)?

I bought an SLSA with touchscreen and both the the A/P panel and the Knobs panel so I've always used them all.

I like the Dynon combo of buttons and touch screen. I did a demo with Mitch in his SLSA which had the new Garmin G3X Touch. I really liked it but now having used the SkyView a lot I think the Garmin had more on-screen menus to work through.

I use the Knobs panel more than the A/P but then I don't use the A/P as much except on longer flights. I find I use the knobs panel a lot for heading bug and baro setting, not ever really for airspeed.
Once you've flown the a/p you can finesse it so that you don't have abrupt banks as it hunts for track or heading. The auto-trim feature is nice. Before it would indicate a need for trim up/down and if you did nothing it would provide a voice alert to do it. Now it might announce a need for trim but then it just does it. Again giving the a/p a plane in trim avoids workload and abruptness. Maintaining a fairly constant power setting helps the a/p do it's job too. I mostly use the a/p in cruise and haven't used the vertical modes much at all. Much easier to just fly it myself. I use the a/p when I want to have a drink/sandwhich or in long cruise segments.

BTW you have to enable and calibrate SkyView to make auto-trim work. Once you know where it's found it's straightforward to do.

The a/p panel is nice and easy to use.

Dynon offer both panels in vertical or horizontal modes. I mention this because I asked for the horizontal to make better use of the panel space but I have an SLSA so it goes where Vans say it goes. No problem for me but if you're a builder and want this and are still thinking your panel layout you might want to consider vertical/horizontal. The standard SLSA panel won't allow for other than vertical.

I have the D180 with the AP-74 panel. I really like the setup I navigate with WingX on an iPad mini. Sometimes in chop I find it difficult to use the touchscreen on it. Is that a problem for you guys with the touchscreen Skyview?

The Dynon ad said something about touch when you wanted and buttons in turbulence and that's about right although I just steady my hand in bumps and use the touch screen.

I have more trouble with my 'older guy fat fingers' than real bumpy air using the touchscreen:D

or c)?

I like them. Especially the ability to quickly change altimeter settings on both panels, headings, etc. A must if you have two panels. I think they will also save wear and tear on your SV joysticks, etc.

I can quickly set an altitude and mode change for VS or IAS climb and be back to flying/observing.

I agree with Dave that the auto trim itself is a pretty nice feature....although when the trim up/down indicator comes on I have to force myself to let the plane do it.

or c)?

Neither is absolutely necessary. Both are a very nice addition. With a single screen, especially if it isn't a touch screen, the knob panel is a huge benefit. If a new plane, the A/P panel is great for wiring up your trims, and the auto trim function is fantastic.

Neither is unnecessary or a waste of money/time.

Learning Autopilot Knobology

I have a dual screen Dynon Touch Screen with the Knobs Panel I'm just learning and haven't figured it out. Since I have dual screens, it is automatically set for expert. I don't have much experience with autopilots to start so I watched one of the Dynon Skyview training videos but still couldn't really see the knobology. Every time I try flying with it I end up disconnecting it because of an unanticipated result.

I could use suggestions on how to learn the using the Knobs Panel. Is there a video or booklet just on the Knobs Panel?

I have a dual screen Dynon Touch Screen with the Knobs Panel I'm just learning and haven't figured it out. Since I have dual screens, it is automatically set for expert. I don't have much experience with autopilots to start so I watched one of the Dynon Skyview training videos but still couldn't really see the knobology. Every time I try flying with it I end up disconnecting it because of an unanticipated result.

I could use suggestions on how to learn the using the Knobs Panel. Is there a video or booklet just on the Knobs Panel?

Give me a call sometime and we can talk through what is happening.

Expert Mode A/P

Can all of the functions of Expert Mode be (comfortably) controlled on the SV touch screen? Or, is it significantly easier with the Knob/AP panels?

I'm interested in installing just the knob unit in my panel. I don't need or have room for the AP unit as well. Has anyone done this? Does the knob unit simply connect directly to the back of Skyview screen via the D9 connectors (probably wishful thinking) or do I need to splice into the existing wiring somewhere. I've read Section 58, and am guessing that the wiring mods are required for the A/P unit rather than the knobs?

Yes. You can unplug one of the 2 9-pin plugs from the back of the screen and plug it into the knob panel. Then you will need a cable to run from the other port on the knob panel to the now-open port on the back of the screen. Then you run a network config and voila.

Of course, if one of the ports on the screen is already open, you can just add the new network cable. Or, if you have an open port on a 5-port hub that will work too.

Spent Saturday installing AP/Knobs panels

Been saving up to treat myself and finally added the two Skyview panels this weekend. Dave Gamble's writeup was a big help along with the comments in this thread. Wiring was not complicated but it was surprisingly hard to feed all the wires through the crowded openings on the avionics shelf. No sig. issues otherwise but it still took me an entire day to complete the full install and tidy up after. Didn't even have time to flight test! Can't wait to do so though. Took some pictures.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZKGcHRS494&feature=youtu.be

Back