What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Forklift for Airplane Lift...nifty idea...

bgrandorff

I was out as KPIE a few days ago looking at hangars, and met up with a gentleman who had fashioned a pretty cool lift for his second plane.
Basically he took an electric forklift, and made a platform that the forklift would fit the tongues into, then voila, the airplane was lifted up out of the way.
Much like an aero lift, but probably in the neighborhood of 2 to 3 k depending on what kind of deal he got on the used forklift.

Not sure many of us have the problem of having two airplanes...but if your hangar can accompany another one... you might split rent with someone.

Just thought it was a cool idea. Seemed to work find for his application.

Thanks Brad....

.....and would you by any chance have any pictures or get one? I have a forklift for unloading pallets of chemical and it lifts up to 3000#. Good used forklifts here, go for around $2500-$3500.

Thanks,

I'd be worried about a small hydraulic leak having a load on the fork lift for long periods of time... you might come in one day to go fly and see you're two planes touching each other! :eek: Im sure a cutoff valve could be installed to block off the hydraulic pressure in the lines maybe?

Forklift assembly

At my workplace, I had a freight elevator made out of an old forklift unit. We bolted the mast assembly to the floor and power it with a hydraulic pack. The carriage is about 6'x 10' and has tracks to guide it. Works great!

However, it causes a mess when fluid spills or a hose leaks.

Like an auto lift, one designed to lift ac would need mechanical safety locks

Pictures

I am going down to PIE Wed. to look at a hangar to buy. If the gentleman is there again I will get pics. If not, and I end up buying the hangar...I am sure I will have plenty of future chances.

I'll ask him if he has done anything special in regards to ensuring the plane stays up, I didn't really pay attention as I was to busy marveling at the hangar and his set up.

.....and would you by any chance have any pictures or get one? I have a forklift for unloading pallets of chemical and it lifts up to 3000#. Good used forklifts here, go for around $2500-$3500.

Thanks,

Lift the plane!

The deal breaker on a lift is the 10k price tag. This sounds like a doable solution.

Waiting for pics.

Waiting for pictures

I am going down to PIE Wed. to look at a hangar to buy. If the gentleman is there again I will get pics. If not, and I end up buying the hangar...I am sure I will have plenty of future chances.

I'll ask him if he has done anything special in regards to ensuring the plane stays up, I didn't really pay attention as I was to busy marveling at the hangar and his set up.

Resurrecting the thread. Saw affordable forklift tonight.
Brad did you have a chance to take pictures?

Aerolift for sale 5K

I have an aerolift for sale. It's setup for a nose wheel but can be converted to a TD $5,000 Located in Southern Oregon 541-892-5854

FYI: forklift capacity ratings are measured 24"from the vertical face of the forks. Old forklifts tend to tip long before they run short of hydraulic power.

Center of gravity is very important.

Back