What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New 300-72RV Series? Constant-Speed Composite Propeller from Whirl Wind Aviation

(Note: “New” refers to April 23, 2019).../a moderator

Whirl Wind Aviation, has developed a new 3-blade composite constant speed propeller, the 300-72RV Series™, for Lycoming (Lyc 0360 - IO390) powered Van’s RV style aircraft.

Whirl Wind Aviation is now taking orders for and delivering the new 300-72RV Series™ constant-speed propeller.

The 300-72RV Series has been several years in the making, and performance results have been very good. Pilots have noted an increased take-off acceleration, and an increased rate-of-climb with the same top speed as Whirl Wind's legendary 200RV Series™ propeller.

At just 36 lbs, the new 300-72RV Series™ propeller is the lightest weight constant speed propeller in its class. Most impressive is that it's a 3-blade propeller that is 5 pounds lighter than Whirl Wind’s 2-blade 200RV Series propeller due to the 300 Series' optimized and compact design.

In addition to weight savings, the 300-72RV Series™ composite propeller offers ultra-smooth operation and lower cockpit noise levels. The 300-72RV Series™ proprietary blade design features a patented carbon fiber X-core™ theormoset composite construction with an electroformed Nickel leading edge for superior erosion resistance and FOD protection.

The 300-72RV Series™ constant speed propeller will accept most pressure to increase pitch governors, and is suitable for the Lycoming 0320 / IO-360 /IO-390 types of engines that can operate a hydraulic control governor/propeller. Diameters available range from 68” to 72” for the 300-72RV Series propeller.

Carl Statin, Naval aviator and RV-14A (IO-390) builder / owner, said, “I couldn’t be more impressed with my WhirlWind 300-72RV Series composite propeller. Since installing the new 300 Series prop I’ve noticed a pleasant improvement in operational smoothness and a definite lower cockpit noise level. After rotation on take-off, accelerating to 90 knots, I was able to maintain 25 degrees nose-up attitude until starting my turn down wind. I would not have believed I could do better than my previous WhirlWind 200RV Series – but they did it with this new 300 Series™.”

He added, “When I fly with other pilots, I always get comments on the smoothness of the WhirlWind propeller. And it looks sleek and sexy sitting on the ground too.”

Available for order through Whirl Wind Aviation, the introductory 2019 list price is $12,500 (includes the propeller and 13” RV style spinner). Order lead-time is estimated at 4 weeks for standard blade colors which include a gloss carbon fiber finish with white tip stripes, or white blades with red tip stripes, or a gloss or semi-gloss black with white tip stripes.

WhirlWind Propellers
"Leaders in Propeller Performance Technology"

Whirl Wind Aviation :: Constant-Speed Division
Austinburg, OH 440-275-1540
www.whirlwindaviation.com
[email protected]

300Series-RV14-2-M.jpg

20190331_153955-S.jpg

300Series-RV14-3-M.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I am certainly looking forward to bolting mine on. It is due to arrive this week or next!

When did you order it?

I ordered a 200RV in August of last year and still have no prop or estimated delivery.

300-72RV Limited to 200HP

I inquired about this prop for my -14 build after i read the announcement. I received an email back that cautioned me that 200HP was absolute maximum HP to suit this prop. They went on to say that if my IO-390 puts out more than 200HP, then i should go with the 300-74RV which was designed for 200+ HP engines. I am planning dual electronic ignition so certainly the output will be more than 200HP. Its a shame as this seemed like a nice option - given this limit not sure how many -14s would be in a position to utilize this prop.

Order vs lead time

I love the concept but concerned about the lead time. 4 weeks is awesome but one post is still waiting since August. That's unacceptable. Maybe I missed something.

Somebody help me out here...

The first paragraph says that the 300-72 series is for O-360?s and IO-390?s.

The sixth paragraph says the 300-72 is for O-320 through IO-390.

The first paragraph indicates O-360 and IO-390. Not IO-360? But the sixth paragraph says O-320, IO-360, and IO-390. Not IO-320? But yes to IO-360?

I?m confused.

Apologies if it was not clear to you, the new 300-72RV Series is suitable for the full range of 4-Cylinder Lycoming engines configured for a hydraulic control constant speed propeller - which includes the O-320 up through the IO-390 type engines. Fuel injection is not a factor for suitability of this propeller.

If you have a question about the 300-72RV Series' suitability for your specific engine and airframe, please feel welcome to call or email us anytime for clarification.

4 weeks

Rod
I was reading and was confused too. I just blew it off that the 320 was a typo.

It would be the perfect weight for my 4 maybe we could buy 2 and get a discount?

Cm

300 Series, so far so good

I've been running a 300 Series on my RV-8 since Christmas. I've got an IO-360 with dual lightspeed ignition. Climb is better, noise is lower than the 200 RV, cruise is the same and I've shaved 5 lbs off.

No issues with delivery for me.

Bill Judge
N84WJ, 1410 hrs, RV-8
http://RV-8.blogspot.com

To be clear:
Your opening ?Sorry it was not clear to you? is condescending and suggests that there?s something wrong with my reading comprehension skills. Not exactly the way you win customers.

Ya gotta love the internet, the guy apologizes and tries to clear up the confusion and you slam him just the same because you didn't like the way he worded it. :confused:

Seriously folks.....

Ya gotta love the internet, the guy apologizes and tries to clear up the confusion and you slam him just the same because you didn't like the way he worded it. :confused:

Couldn't have said it better Walt!+1

I have made five attempts over the past 3 weeks to call and inquire about the status of a prop that I ordered a while back, I can reach the receptionist just fine, and I can leave message with her

I never get a callback from anyone (Jeremy?) who can provide a status or update on the order, and it surprises me that the receptionist is not able to retrieve this information, or an email update cannot be provided on a regular basis.

A MT prop I ordered had the complete opposite customer experience, communication was fluid, expectations were adjusted as needed, and I had no trouble getting updates or responses, and the repair I needed shortly after (unfortunate) was handled in the same manner....A+ for MT

I cancelled my order

I ordered my prop back 74HRT in Feb and asked them specifically about how accurate their lead times were they said 10 weeks and of course that time came and went. They did not return emails or phone calls, so I personally want a little better customer service when I shell out over 10k somewhere. I ended up going with the Hartzell composite. They did refund my deposit without any hassles.

Anyone else try this prop

Anyone else out there try this prop. My engine arrives very soon and have held off ordering a prop. I want to go with a composite and thought the 3 blade would help with the 14 tending to be aft heavy but was just informed this prop is actually lighter than the WW 2 blade composite by 5 lbs. The Hartzell 3 blade Raptor series prop is still under review at Vans so that option is still not available for 1 to 2 more months, if they give the go ahead. Hartzell seems to have approved the prop and it's been given a model number for the IO-390. I've seen the Raptor on other airframes and does look very nice.

Delivery As Promised

I ordered this prop 4 weeks ago and it shipped yesterday. On time as promised.

Ron B

FYI

Not this prop but I did order an RV200 prop with a fairly custom paint (not to fancy) and it was dead on the date they promised. I find that they also read these forums and I believe they are trying to do better with communications and lead time. Everyone at Whirlwind has been super nice so its hard to imagine that anyone can get upset at them. As a business owners I know how the Internet could be your best friend or your worse enemy.
I'm hanging the prop next week and can't wait to post the performance but at first glance it's just beautiful. If you are at all interested in this prop or any Whirlwind CS prop, I have one thing to say : You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar :rolleyes: - Just call them and tell them if you are concerned ;)

WW in a IO540

I wonder if there are any plans for a version that could be used on the IO540?
G

They seem to be producing one for the IO540 called the 375 @ 378HRT, just FYI. I've not heard anyone's experience with this prop. So far they have been prompt at least getting me a quote and delivery. The 300-72RV series is being made in their California facility instead of the constant speed facility in Ohio to help with back-log.

Whirlwind prop for RV10

I just had the honor to install the NEW Whirlwind 3 Blade prop on my RV10 for testing with Jim R. From Whirlwind. I had the standard Hartzell.
Prop and spinner installed with the same cowl spacing, no issues except having to lengthen the nose gear slot on the bottom of the cowl because of having a extra blade in the way.
As wonderful as the Hartzell is I must say this Whirlwind was nothing short of amazing!!! Increased climb, smooooooooth!!! Very smooth. All my temps seemed even better, closer. We took the 10 up to 10.5 ft to see if it matches the Hartzell cruise and it's so close I really need to take a longer trip to get better numbers but initially it seems to have not lost any as other three blades do.
Did I mention how smooth and balanced the Whirlwind is???
Pics and other info will be coming soon from Whirlwind,

Prop

I wonder if there are any plans for a version that could be used on the IO540?
G

They seem to be producing one for the IO540 called the 375 @ 378HRT, just FYI. I've not heard anyone's experience with this prop. So far they have been prompt at least getting me a quote and delivery. The 300-72RV series is being made in their California facility instead of the constant speed facility in Ohio to help with back-log.

I?m running the 375 and can attest it works very well. VERY SMOOTH

Dollars and sense...

(Note: ?New? refers to April 23, 2019)

Available for order through Whirl Wind Aviation, the introductory 2019 list price is $12,500 (includes the propeller and 13? RV style spinner).
300Series-RV14-3-M.jpg

Gorgeous and I am certain, impressive prop.
However comma, it's hard to justify spending more $$ on a propeller than my used 0-360J, Catto and panel cost combined!
:)

V/R
Smokey

Last edited:
300-72RV on order

Ordered the prop a few weeks ago, so far customer service has been outstanding. I've seen WW paint on props and I must say I hope mine is as good!! They are very willing to custom paint a prop complete with custom tip striping.

I’ve been planning to install a 74HRT on my Titan XIO-370 powered RV-8 since considering all the prop options and speaking to all the tech reps last year at Oshkosh. I saw this post and was very interested in the 300-72RV, but wanted to wait and see the prop and talk to the Whirlwind reps about both props. I found the props in the WW booth on Monday, but today after multiple visits I found out there isn’t a single WW rep at OSH, and there won't be all week.

I called the factory and talked to the receptionist to confirm, and she said they weren’t attending. I thought that was an odd decision, not to attend one of the two major annual trade shows. I asked her why they weren't coming and she said they can't be everywhere. I would buy that reason if I popped into the factory and there wasn't anyone who could answer my sales questions, but to plan to skip AirVenture...??

She also said the Titan reps should be able to answer my questions. I tried that approach, but they couldn’t. The Titan reps I talked to hadn’t read the WW literature, and I wouldn’t expect them to be able to sell some other company's products. I’m not sure why WW isn’t here to represent their own products, but that choice combined with the negative comments in this thread that WW has not yet answered is giving me serious reservations about buying from them.

I came to OSH with a big check in my pocket, intent on not going home until I had a prop ordered. I spent today revisiting my propellor decision and went back to talk to Hartzel and Catto.

Can any of the current WW customers talk me off the ledge?

Last edited:
Get off the ledge!
I know that whirlwind does not have a great presence at Osh. I have installed my 300-72 and it is a thing of beauty. Ask yourself if you want the very best prop or a nice salesman. If you want the best prop, be patient and call whirlwind and order. I hope to have my bird in the air in a couple of weeks, then I will have more info.

Jackz

Feeling Better

Just to update the thread, I received a nice PM from someone at Whirl Wind Propellers: Ground-Adjustable Division. She is very knowledgable about the constant speed props, and I'm exchanging emails with her to get answers to all the questions I brought to Oshkosh. Her response is restoring my confidence in proceeding with a WW purchase.

Get off the ledge!
I know that whirlwind does not have a great presence at Osh. I have installed my 300-72 and it is a thing of beauty. Ask yourself if you want the very best prop or a nice salesman. If you want the best prop, be patient and call whirlwind and order. I hope to have my bird in the air in a couple of weeks, then I will have more info.

Jackz

Thanks Jack, I'd love to hear your feedback after you've had a chance to fly!

Try this

170 knots indicated abeam the numbers on the downwind, tight pattern, pull power, start the turning 180 degree turn to runway and make the first turn off! In the winter, light fuel and solo, 4,000 fpm at 90 knots, and it?s not a ? zoom? climb. And it looks darn sexy just sitting there. Oh, and it weighs 27 pounds.

Off the ledge

As a local close to one of the WW factory and having spent time with the owner, I'd say relax and your patience will be well worth it. Don't get frustrated,
Their props are amazing, the quality, smoothness and performance is great.
The people at the El Cajon factory are super nice.
My opinion is they are so busy that a choice had to be made.

Agree

As a local close to one of the WW factory and having spent time with the owner, I'd say relax and your patience will be well worth it. Don't get frustrated,
Their props are amazing, the quality, smoothness and performance is great.
The people at the El Cajon factory are super nice.
My opinion is they are so busy that a choice had to be made.

I don't disagree with the quality and beautiful finish.......
And I can even understand lead times with proper communuications on inital purchase. I agree the people are nice and knowledgable when you speak to them.

But once you have a prop and have an issue with it.....and have to wait months with lacking communications....that is unacceptable in my book.
Hopefully WW can change/improve.
FYI I am a big fan of WW......Have installed and flown behind an 74HRT...

My IO-320 powered RV-3 started developing cracks in its aluminum spinner. I ordered a new fiberglass spinner kit from Van's in anticipation of removing and replacing the aluminum spinner. In the process, I decided it wouldn't be a bad idea to have the 21 year old Hartzell prop inspected. The short story is that it failed inspection and was no longer airworthy.

The local prop shop told me right off the bat that I could buy a new Hartzell from Van's for less than he could repair or replace my old prop. He wasn't red-tagging the prop with an expectation of making money, in other words. A new Hartzell from Van's is right around $8500. A new Whirlwind 300-72RV is $12,500.

As you can read at the beginning of this thread, I've been very critical of Whirlwind because very good friends of mine experienced ridiculously long turn around times and delivery promises were repeatedly broken.

My dilemma was that my friends REALLY LIKE their Whirlwind props and I REALLY LIKE the looks and performance of 3-bladed props. When my prop failed inspection and I was faced with a bright red 900 pound paperweight in my hangar, there was nothing left to do but call Jeremy.

I called and told him flat out that I was concerned with broken promises and delivery times. I told him I could buy a new Hartzell with a stated 4-6 week lead time and be reasonably confident that it would ship within that time. I also told him that I really wanted one of their props, but I needed his assurance that I'd receive it within whatever time he quoted.

He told me that if I stuck with a standard paint scheme, they could match the 4-6 week lead time quoted by Van's for the Hartzell. I gave him my credit card number.

EXACTLY 4 weeks later, I received my shiny new 3-bladed Whirlwind prop via Fedex. I installed it that afternoon and flew it the next day.

Wow. Wow. Wooooooow!

This thing flies even better than it looks. And it looks AMAZING.

It's tough to measure climb rate because the seasons are changing and during the month I was waiting for the new prop our daytime temperatures have fallen roughly 20 degrees. Conservatively, however, I'd say that I'm getting 3-400' better climb rates and my takeoff roll has shortened by 20%. The prop really pulls on the takeoff roll.

24" and 2400rpm cruise power settings yield True Airspeed of somewhere between exactly the same to maybe 2 knots faster than the original Hartzell 2-bladed prop. I realize that "all things being equal" a 2 bladed prop should be faster than a 3-bladed prop. All I can guess is that the modern blade design on this 3-bladed prop compensates for 3 blades versus the old design 2-bladed Hartzell prop.

I haven't balanced the Whirlwind, but it's already noticeably smoother than the Hartzell--which had been dynamically balanced. I've got an ACEs balancer, so I'll need to do that soon. The Whirlwind prop is also much more quiet than the Hartzell.

The prop came complete with a carbon fiber spinner and backplate. The fit and finish was as good as I've ever seen on any composite part. It'll need finish paint but that'll be a winter project. The prop blades themselves are carbon fiber with clear over the top. If I had ONE critique for the entire package, it would be that they could have taken a bit more time to remove all the sanding marks from the nickel leading edges before clearing over them. I don't know if others would notice this, but I've spent enough time with a DA sander in my hands that I know what remnants from sanding look like. Others might never see this.

So all-in-all, I consider this a huge success from all angles. Whirlwind turned a critic into a raving fan. I feel they've helped me improve an already exceptional RV-3. I understand that I'm somewhere around customer number 10 for this prop, so I guess I'm a bit of an early adopter. If anyone has specific questions, I'd be happy to try and answer.

IMG_8541.jpg

IMG_8540.jpg

That?s a beautiful -3! Prop looks great!

Hi Rod,

Congratulations on a beautiful looking airplane.

Could you please share Jeremy's phone number with me?

Sadly, I have not had such good service from Whirlwind Aviation, and am about to cancel an order I placed with them for a prop for my RV-10 on 16th June 2019

In short, my promised 10 week delivery time after I made payment has stretched to beyond 20 weeks now, and my emails enquiring about the status of the prop are just being ignored.

I think I need to speak to someone on the phone who actually cares about their customers and who wants to make this right.

Thanks in advance.

Amer

Thanks Rod,

I called the number on the website and managed to speak to Jeremy, he apologised for the delay, and has agreed to cancel my order and refund my deposit, so if anyone wants a prop for an RV-10, there is probably one somewhere on the production line, and you should call Jeremy and ask him about it.

I placed the order and paid the deposit on the 17th of June 2019 and was told the prop would ship in 10 weeks. It has now been 20 weeks and the prop is not even finished yet. I had no updates from his team along the way, and it took several emails to get the briefest of replies that just said "keep waiting".

I have no doubt that their prop is fantastic, that's why I ordered one to start with, but in my mind, customer service is also very important. What if I develop a problem in the future? Would I want to deal with this team again? Do they keep their promises? Will they sort me out quickly or just leave me hanging?

Call me grumpy and old fashioned, but I think being honest with your customers about your products and delivery times is very, very important in any business, and customer service is always more important than the product. In my family we have always bought cars from the garage that we get the best customer service from, and not necessarily the closest one, or the cheapest one...... If you say 10 weeks, then you must delivery before 10 weeks. Or you are obliged to tell your customer why you cannot, and offer some reparations.

I'm so glad they sorted you out quickly, and your prop looks fantastic. I wish you all the best with it, and a lifetime of safe flights with as many take offs as landings

Best

Amer

Your opening ?Sorry it was not clear to you? is condescending and suggests that there?s something wrong with my reading comprehension skills. Not exactly the way you win customers.

Glad you're a fan now Ron, but I gotta tell you, **** like this takes the fun out of this site.

Update

Just saw pics of my prop in production. Looks great. It will ship a little late but it?s going to be worth it I?m sure. About the same backlog as my Lycoming engine.

Is there a reason this prop isn't on your website? The only thing under the rv series is the 200 on your site. Also, the info that is available says it's for the O320 up through the IO390. Nothing ever mentions it's not compatible with the 370 or 375, similar to the 200 version.

Edit: there is a 300 series prop on the site, but not the 300rv. The front page for that prop advertises it as ok for the 375, the detail product page specifically says it's not for the 375.

Last edited:
Recommend calling them

Despite other posts I had no issues calling them and getting information. Sure they don't have engineers sitting at a desk ready to talk with you like other large prop producers (You do pay for this) but they will get back to you. There engineers are working on the floor making propellers it seems !! It's not like I'm running out of things to do on my air frame and to wait a day is not a big deal. They do seem to be very busy which is a good thing unless I want to spend an extra 8 k for a prop next time.

300-72RV Series is suitable for the full range of 4-Cylinder Lycoming engines configured for a hydraulic control constant speed propeller - which includes the O-320 up through the IO-390 type engines. Fuel injection is not a factor for suitability of this propeller
When you say series I assume the hub and blades will vary for HP? I would not think the blade optimized for 160HP is optimal for 200HP. I could be wrong. Please tell me if blades are identical. Curious about Prop design.

Last edited:
300-72RV Range

I'd be happy to share my experience once flying but the total range goes to 210 hp. I'm assuming the prop has a design range (Like the HRT) that changes over the HP requirement but not sure. I gave them the engine I'm using, fuel and ignition system and this is what they recommended to me. It took a few weeks longer than anticipated and that seems to be more related to the custom paint job I wanted.

Back