What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Deburring and Priming as a First Step ?

Blizzard

Ran across a post somewhere of a builder that as a first step he deburrs everything (edges) and then primes (AKZO) everything right out of the crate Seemed like a logical order. Got everything done in bulk right up front. Curious how that affects the eventual protection of the holes that will be drilled, the deburring of the holes, dimpling, fluting, etc. Thoughts? This isn't a prime of not prime question. Just wondering if their are any gotchas in doing this.

Thanks

I did a lot of what you describe. I used Akzo as well and the great thing about it is that once it cures, it's really tough stuff. I had no issues at all with anything that I primed as you describe. You can always go in with a brush and touch any issues up.

a little at a time

Personally I like to spread the deburring task out over time, so deburred as I went along.
Second the primer would need to be somewhat flexible as dimpling stretches the metal and will chip/crack anything that doesn't move with the metal.

So I deburred after dimpling and before priming as each section was getting ready to rivet.

Dimpling parts after letting AKZO cure is what I have been doing. As long as you let it fully cure dimpling isn’t an issue. If it does crack you didn’t let it cure enough or the surface wasn’t prepped enough. Honestly the stuff is really tough.

Deburring edges and parts in one large batch sounds interesting. I spread it out and primed as I went.

Last edited:
My personal preference was to prep all parts through dry fitting (Which included deburing and dimpling) prior to spraying with AKZO, or whatever primer you're using.

It was more of a logistics thing for me. Found it easier to prep and paint the parts in bulk. Also if I had to grind or otherwise modify a part during dry fitting I wouldn't have to go back and touch up.

Been thinking along these lines....

We are deburring in bulk to avoid handling parts more than necessary. Been thinking of the priming as well. We use AKZO and it really is amazing.

Please post your progress!

My 2 cents.

Mike

I have primed all my parts with the akzo two part epoxy as well but I found it best to build the whole assembly, then strip it down, debur, scotch brite, acetone, and prime. Then it was all good to go for final assembly and rivet.

I have done both. Using epoxy AKZO primer it holds up well to dimpling later on. The process of bulk deburring/priming is largely used by your popular build assist centers for efficiency (also factory build aircraft), and I assume (not verified) that is probably how our QB kits are done overseas as well.

It depends on which model and what parts you're going to build. The older kits require quite a bit of cutting and fitting and drilling before they're anywhere close to being ready to deburr or prime. I think that even the newer kits require some of that.

An example is the elevator bellcrank, which needs to be cut apart. This example is from the RV-14 plans. It needs to be separated into three parts and then riveted together with a bearing installed.

GCGes5j.jpg

The time to do the deburring and priming is when the parts are separated.

Dave

Back