What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The Big Cut

wirejock

Well Known Member
The Big Cut. Sikaflex 7a slider.

I fabricated a "no stress" hammock for the canopy and I am getting things ready for The Big Cut. I've read more threads than I can count and questions still remain.

Please comment and offer guidance.
1. The object of The Big Cut is to separate the Forward and Aft sections? If that is true then it makes sense to position the frame as far aft as it fits. Correct? Mine actually fits pretty good but a little adjustment will be needed after the cut. Plus the usual adjustment will be done to account for the flex.
2. When you draw the line, did you lay down a layer of masking tape over the protective film and draw the line on it? Did you draw right on the film? Or did you remove the film and draw right on the canopy? Don't like that last one.
3. Depends on the answer from #2. I'm thinking a nice wide layer of green masking tape over the film is best then just cut right through it. Yes? No?
4. The canopy has a little "ski lift" 1"-2" at the Aft end. I assume that isn't desirable at the aft bow of the canopy frame but I could be wrong. The bow fits best if I position it just foward of this area. I can move back a tiny bit, but a gap starts opeing up at the ski lift. However, I don't want to mess up and short myself on the windscreen portion.
Any comments appreciated.
LL

The Big Cut. Sikaflex 7a slider.

I fabricated a "no stress" hammock for the canopy and I am getting things ready for The Big Cut. I've read more threads than I can count and questions still remain.

Please comment and offer guidance.
1. The object of The Big Cut is to separate the Forward and Aft sections? If that is true then it makes sense to position the frame as far aft as it fits. Correct? Mine actually fits pretty good but a little adjustment will be needed after the cut. Plus the usual adjustment will be done to account for the flex.
2. When you draw the line, did you lay down a layer of masking tape over the protective film and draw the line on it? Did you draw right on the film? Or did you remove the film and draw right on the canopy? Don't like that last one.
3. Depends on the answer from #2. I'm thinking a nice wide layer of green masking tape over the film is best then just cut right through it. Yes? No?
4. The canopy has a little "ski lift" 1"-2" at the Aft end. I assume that isn't desirable at the aft bow of the canopy frame but I could be wrong. The bow fits best if I position it just foward of this area. I can move back a tiny bit, but a gap starts opeing up at the ski lift. However, I don't want to mess up and short myself on the windscreen portion.
Any comments appreciated.
LL
1. Yes, the canopy frame longitudinal tube should contact the inside of the canopy as continuously as possible.
2. I used the masking tape over the protective film as the line I cut to. Using the masking tape as "the line" you can see the cut as it progresses through the plexi.
3. That would work too.
4. The "ski lift" created problems for me as this puts an upward angle on the aft skirt. I contacted Vans who said I had positioned the canopy frame too far aft. I hadn't. I positioned the canopy where it made the most continuous contact with the longitudinal tube. I contacted the supplier of the canopy for advice and they advised to sand down the "ski lift" at the rear to the point where the thickness at the aft end of the canopy was about 1/8". This worked OK, but still made the aft skirt tilt up a bit. I'm still working on the skirts, but a little down bend looks like it cures the problem. Don't worry about the windscreen. I ended up trimming both the forward end of it where it contacts the forward fuselage skin and the aft end of it aft of the roll bar. Multiple trim cuts to get the best fit. Windscreen put aside until later in the build.

Back