What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First Flight N14ZP 7/19/17

GigAir

There was nothing left to do, but fire it up and go flying. She flew extremely well, no adverse characteristics. Really the most eventful part of the 0.6 hour first flight was the coyote in the touchdown zone and the tower reported, oil access door FOD (from previous departing aircraft) midfield! Build time was 2 years 3 months and 25 days from the time we opened the first kit. It is extremely gratifying.

https://youtu.be/q1pN3K5iyB8

Greg Novotny:D
RV-14a N14ZP
Tacoma Narrows KTIW
Dues gladly paid

Last edited:
Congratulations! I like the paint and I love that 6-blade prop. ;)
You've got more than 40 hours before Oshkosh starts - get busy! :D

There was nothing left to do, but fire it up and go flying. She flew extremely well, no adverse characteristics. Really the most eventful part of the 0.6 hour first flight was the coyote in the touchdown zone and the tower reported, oil access door FOD (from previous departing aircraft) midfield! Build time was 2 years 3 months and 25 days from the time we opened the first kit. It is extremely gratifying.

https://youtu.be/q1pN3K5iyB8

Greg Novotny:D
RV-14a N14ZP
Tacoma Narrows KTIW
Dues gladly paid

Congrats Greg! What an accomplishment. And you even had all your gear leg fairings installed!

Congrats, now you just have to finish phase one.

I completed my 40 hours this week, just in time for Oshkosh.

Have fun flying.

Congrats on your milestone , leaving for OSH as soon as the fog burns off here. Should have been ready for a 6 AM departure because it was clear then. It's brightening up again now so we should be good to go soon.
Hopefully you will be at OSH next year with yours!

Congratulations Greg! Nice looking 14 you built.
Always a great motivator to see a 14 leave the nest.

Thanks for all the kind comments. The paint scheme was done by the very talented Jonathan McCormick, "The Plane Schemer". The actual paint was base coat clear coat PPG DCC done in expert detail by Michael Payne, Director at the Port Townsend Aero Museum at 0S9. I would highly recommend both of these professionals. I could not be happier with how N14ZP looks.

My one bit of advice would be to get started early with your paint scheme.

Greg Novotny
RV-14a N14ZP
3 hours into Phase 1
Vans 140209
KTIW
Tacoma Narrows

Greg,

Congrats on your first flight! Beautiful airplane. You mentioned before that we were doing parallel builds and my first flight was Saturday July 22nd!!!! Just flew patterns at 2000' over Renton (RNT) for an hour at high power. It flies great! Here's a pic I took looking at the Boeing plant, Mercer Island and Seattle in the distance on about lap 16...

What a kick!!

245wkns.jpg

Last edited:
Very elegant paint scheme Greg. Hope you don't mind if I end up painting mine similar. I can't believe the procrastination involved in deciding on what clothes to put on the aircraft.
Nicely done. 👍

Back