What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Shower or Slick

BruceMe

Well Known Member
Ok...

First, my O-320-C2B came with Bendix SoS mags. I use the square brackets because I added the fuel injection, that is not the factory configuration. But, when I got ready to assemble the plane my mechanic buddy rip them off and installed new slicks. He just insisted, I didn't want to step on his p-lead, so I relented ;)

Second, I should mention I have the worst hot starting IO-320 I've ever seen. I have hundreds of hot starts on dozens of different airplanes, this is 3x worse.

Third, fast forward 9 years and 400 hrs, the slick mags are starting to show they need re-pointing and internal timing.

Finally, the question... As part of improving the hot starting, it was suggested I use EIS, which I plan to eventually. But meanwhile what about re-installing the SoS system?

I'm soliciting advice from anyone familiar with SoS, will they help hot starting? or should just sell the mags and use the money to get an EIS system?

Thanks,

-Bruce

Last edited:
P-Mags - job done and sorted.

Oh and swap the leads and plugs as well. Go to Brad's harness and NGL Platinum plugs.

Ok...

First, my O-320-C2B came with Bendix SoS mags. I use the square brackets because I added the fuel injection, that is not the factory configuration. But, when I got ready to assemble the plane my mechanic buddy rip them off and installed new slicks. He just insisted, I didn't want to step on his p-lead, so I relented ;)

Second, I should mention I have the worst hot starting IO-320 I've ever seen. I have hundreds of hot starts on dozens of different airplanes, this is 3x worse.

Third, fast forward 9 years and 400 hrs, the slick mags are starting to show they need re-pointing and internal timing.

Finally, the question... As part of improving the hot starting, it was suggested I use EIS, which I plan to eventually. But meanwhile what about re-installing the SoS system?

I'm soliciting advice from anyone familiar with SoS, will they help hot starting? or should just sell the mags and use the money to get an EIS system?

Thanks,

-Bruce

If they were mine and I started with new mags(as you did) I would replace the points if needed, set the e-gap, and put a slick start module on the left hand side that will either be an impulse OR retard breaker mag. It will start like a Toyota.

If you want to use the shower of sparks , you need to go back to bendix mags. That will also start like a Toyota.

Last edited:
SOS mags

I have the Bendix SoS on my RV10 and had it on my hp IO360 RV7,
Works great.
Only other Mags are the "P" mags. My fellow RV8 owners have them on their planes and hot starts are nothing for them.

The plan

I just baught a pmag, I'll repoint the other slick and sell the rest. I'll post results

Back