What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Manual trim to Electric trim

guccidude1

Well Known Member
Friend
Guys: I'm converting my -9A from elevator manual to Aileron/elevator electric. I don't have p.33 of the drawings to see how the aileron trim servo is mounted. Anyone out there have a picture of the drawing or actual parts, installed or not. Thanks, Dan

Im doing the same thing. I am out of town now, but will see if I can have my wife scan the page and email it to me. It doesn't look like to big of a job and I will really like getting that heavy cable out of the plane.

If you find any pictures, I would like to see them too.

I found my plans on my laptop. I scanned them and have them in a PDF file. The whole set is 78 megs, so I can't send them all but I can send what you need. PM me with your email address and I will send it.

Future Reference.

It looks like you have what you need, but for future reference, I have asked Vans for PDF's of drawings and they just emailed them to me. Not a batch but a few individuals.

I work a lot off of the electronic drawings. I make print outs of blown up details on standard size paper, add notes and put them in my build pack for that portion of the project.

I'm in this exact phase of construction, so I'll take a few pics for you tonight of the servo mounting, etc.

Oops, misread your question….I'm working on the elevator trim servo, not aileron. Good luck!!!

I just finished putting the elevator trim servo in, hooking up the pushrod and testing it out. Works great! The LED indicator is nice and bright, & the pushrods/clevises are tight with very little play.

I mounted the Z brackets to the servo first, then positioned it on the cover plate for mounting. Eyeball it to center, and I found that a spacing of 13 mm from the forward edge of brackets to forward edge of cover plate works well (see pic). Then trace around the mounts with a Sharpie, unbolt the servo, drill, deburr, dimple & rivet, reinstall, etc.

I had to enlarge the pushrod opening a bit with a Dremel and a file, because bending the threaded pushrod is a no-no. I also added an extra rivet to the two-piece control horn, to cure a little misalignment of the clevis holes. I ran it through the whole range of operation, and no contact/binding anywhere, so I'm good to go.

Last edited:
Back