What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

gust lock bent

A5555

Well Known Member
I was stationed in Victorville CA for a month in May and I tied down on the ramp. the aircraft was exposed to maximum 60 mph ground winds during that time. I used the anti-splat gust lock and the aircraft did not suffer any damage. while prepping for a flight one weekend I found the gust lock bent in the middle. I couldn't believe it. the force to bend this aluminum tube must have been hundreds of pounds. I continued to use the gust lock and it worked fine for the remainder of time. I replaced the aluminum tube (red color) with steel when I returned to Cincinnati. I compliment Anti-Splat for a good design and recommend their gust lock. don't under estimate the loads on the control surfaces in high ground winds.

GOPR0412.JPG

Last edited:
Exact same thing happened to me, they replaced it at no cost and the new ones has the hole in the top so it won't bend like this any more.

Mine hasn't bent yet. The rudder on the 9A is a massive sail though.
I keep the antisplat gust lock hooked on a carabiner just between the seats (flap motor box). It is the first thing I reach for after the key gets shut off.
Not surprised Alan would replace the part. He would probably give you a beer and the part if you were to stop by his hangar after work....

Now that is the kind of test results I like to see. Even for what is reported to be a great product, where does it fail. I'm curious, was your chicken pointed into the wind for that 60kt blow?

Gust lock

Just an opinion, but I'm not certain the gust lock failed. The gust lock bent all the while protecting the aircraft. If you make the gust lock stronger the failure point may move to the more valuable asset it is meant to protect. I would simply replace the bent tube with an original part and be thankful my aircraft was not damaged. :)

Steve,

Question - so these forces were generated by the elevator or the rudder? How much force can the elevator control tube carry (and the bell crank) ?

That seems to be the most potentially serious result is (to me) where the gust loads are transmitted into the control links. These forces would seem to be very low compared to that used in flight. At what point would we look for potential damage, what is the weakest link? Pull rivets, rod eyes, bell crank, sheared bolts at rod eyes? Yes, I could look at all this geometry, but has this been considered (published) before?

Folks,
At least in my case, the bending of this piece was not as the result of the wind moving the rudder and causing the bend. The instruction for setting this up calls for a bit of tension/force on it before lock in position. The middle hole on the shaft which is for storing it while not in use, is in such location that makes it a bit weak and now they have moved the whole to the top of the piece which hopefully prevents such bent.

Just my 2cents

hole on the top side

there is a hole on top side of the red section. that's the weak spot and that's where it failed. I tried to bend it back and it snapped. I emailed Alan at Anti-Splat and sent a picture and recommended to rotate the hole 90 degree. Good, seems like they have already done that. I didn't get a reply, my email was probably lost in the electrons, so I made a steel rod. I am sure the rod was not bent when I installed in Victorville before the high wind as it was loose but still working when I removed it. actually one side had dropped down but thankfully it was not the windward side. also, I noticed upon rebuild that the smaller steel rod is slightly bent so that when I slide to collapse the gust lock now I don't need a pin to secure it. I consider that a new feature for ease of installation and it eliminates one hole. I was parked exactly 90 degree to runway 21 at Victorville (KVCV). I'm not sure how much side component I picked up but guesstimate at least 45 degree if not more. when installed, my elevator was slightly up, maybe an inch. that could have added to the compressive force applied to the gust lock but I believe the rudder delivered most of the force. I really couldn't believe it. I inspected the linkages and had no findings. I believe the gust lock prevented any damage. I'm satisfied with it.

Last edited:
Rough calculation

To fill my brake I did a rugh calculation. I have not any dimensions but just estimated them for my -10.
Assuming rudder surface 1 m2 and the the wind speed 30.8 m/s the force on the rudder lock would be around 125 kg about 275 pounds.

What is the diameter and thickness if the rudder lock rod.

Mike

So the gust lock bent under loading from a control surface??? Wonder what may have happened to the connection horns and surfaces?!

Last edited:
Loal Wood, a friend of mine, makes the Gust Buster. He has some very sound design behind his idea. Gust buster You might want to view his youtube videos.

This post is not intended to take away from Allan Nimmo's excellent products, just to offer another option.

There are many ways to skin a cat!

Diamond DA-20 utilizes an internal gust lock that works quite well. When the time comes, I may try to fab one up for the RV. Since I can build mine to fit a specific plane, it needn't be adjustable, and I'm thinking that a carbon-fiber golf club shaft will be just the ticket for the longitudinal member…super light yet strong.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=18572

Last edited:
Product Improvement!!!!!!

... As stated earlier in this thread we have made a couple of changes that eliminated this from happening. In our original design, we placed a hole location in a very high stress area that can or did weaken the tube by about 50%. We have corrected this and it will not be an issue again. We only had four tubes bend and two of the guys said they bent it with to much preload force from there foot pressure when trying to install "The Ultimate Gust Lock" for the first time. Again, this is now a non issue. Thanks, Allan...:D

Gust lock

Hi Alan. I think I asked you once before, but is it possible for your gust lock to be used on an RV-8 with the ground adjustable rudder pedals? I hope so because I do like your product. Thanks for any replies you may make... Bill

Hi Alan. I think I asked you once before, but is it possible for your gust lock to be used on an RV-8 with the ground adjustable rudder pedals? I hope so because I do like your product. Thanks for any replies you may make... Bill

Yes! We have them in stock. Thanks, Allan...:D

tube

To fill my brake I did a rugh calculation. I have not any dimensions but just estimated them for my -10.
Assuming rudder surface 1 m2 and the the wind speed 30.8 m/s the force on the rudder lock would be around 125 kg about 275 pounds.

What is the diameter and thickness if the rudder lock rod.

Mike

I think the red tube is 5/8 inch outer diameter with .030 inch wall thickness.

Awesome device

Just got mine in the mail the other day. Took only 5 mins. to set up thanks to Alan's video. This thing is built well and the best thing about it is that is so fast to put on. I used to use my seat belt and a little lock on the rudder that was always a pain to put on and even broke one time. It is real peace of mind when I go on a trip and have to leave the plane tied up outside. I would recommend this product.

Thanks Allen (who also sent a free hat along) for this and keep em coming.

I Apologize!!!!!

Allan

Are you making the -10 locks yet?

... I apologize for taking so long with these RV-10 "Ultimate Gust Locks". I needed to redesign them somewhat because of the control stick in the 10. We didn't want to release a product that was not perfect in every detail or as close as possible. This proved more difficult than it looks, and with other duties, more new products and distractions etc the time just goes. OK enough excuses! We have a first article of what we intend to produce ready to test fit. I have an appointment with a RV-10 owner who is volunteering his aircraft for the try-out and then we will be making a production run. I really think you 10 guys (being the discriminating soles) are going to love this product and feel it worth the wait. Thanks for your patients, Allan...:D

A procedurale note (in my 9A). I fly with the gust lock clipped to a D ring between the two seats. I just backed out a screw at the top of the flap motor cover and put a small D ring from the ranch supply store. A medium carabiner hangs from it.
In flight, the gust lock is not in anyones way, tucked between the seats.
When landed, I retrieve it and put it on before even exiting the plane. Murphy always sends a big wind gust at the worst times... even calm days.
The big rudder on the 9 will bang around and I hate it.
By attaching the gust lock right away... I have confidence all will be secure.
The small foot leverage swing out piece is great to put the tension on.
In the event of turbulence or a roll over (not probably, since the antisplat is on too) the gust lock will not beat the occupants about the head and cause damage to my makeup.
Fly early this summer... beat the heat.

Back