What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us the status of your RV-4 project!

IMG_1190_zpscbc783be.jpg

Making progress:D

Finally....close to skinnin'!

169f9yp.jpg

The 427 aft skin is clamped/strapped into place. The 426 is clamped to the skeleton.

I drilled all the bulkheads (407 and aft) to the longerons today. The rigidity is impressive.

Bout to make a LOT of metal shavings.

GB

Piece o cake

After a nice Christmas surprise package from the good folks at Cleaveland I have finished dimpling the horizontal stabilizer frame and skin. Getting ready to rivet some skins for good :eek: Feeling pretty good about that months of careful work and much figuring is coming to fruition.

Does anyone have some tips for "peeling the skins back enough (and holding them) to allow for bucking the rivets along the forward spar? I fit the skin today and it's quite still, especially towards the tip.

Simple. Once you get the thing all clecoe'd up, you can take it out of the jig and remove the rear spar for access to the rivet tails. 1st, make sure your skin has very small tensoin at the spar - the LE must be formed almost to perfection.

You will need a couple Cherry rivets to attach the center aft ribs to the spar in final assy.

Another addition: build in a 1x1 angle (instead of the 3/4x3/4) on the front spar, and make it long enough that it has 'ears' protruding about 4" past the root nose ribs.

I have more tips if you want 'em! It just so happens I have bult a few of those parts...and taught a few how to also.

Carry on!
Mark

Thanks F1Boss, that would have worked for me but I had riveted the HS ribs to the aft spar as per the manual already but I see that's how the newer 7/8 kits are done. I was able to reach up under the aft end of the skin to buck the forward spar.

More fuse progress - all aft skins are drilled

10wr5l0.jpg

Both bottom and both side skins are drilled as of today!

2qwen3l.jpg

This looks neat! - Now the remove, deburr, dimple, scuff, clean prime, reinstall, and rivet mantra that we all love.

GB

As much work as I've done on a rebuild, I feel like I built a kit. I would love to build a -4 from the ground up. Maybe someone local will decide to buy a kit someday.

Hey Greg .. I like your table for building your fuse ... beats my 3 saw horses! I'll bet is very easy to keep level.

-Bill

Thanks guys....

When you think how many rv4s were built with a Walmart level and a tape measure, I feel pretty good about being able to level mine via long threaded concrete anchors at 6 places. It has been leveled in all axis to 0.1 degree or better with a digital inclinometer. :rolleyes:

My goal is to have the fuse right side up by mid May.

Gregg

160hp

The engine for our -4 fastback is assembled and ready to mount. The baffles will need a little TLC before they go back on. We went with the 8.5:1 pistons and the larger wrist pins to boost the power to 160hp. So now we will have a completely restored 91' RV-4 with a zero time field overhauled engine. Everything inside is new except for the crank and rods.
8d3df8a7b864380e95a32451d2ef4833_zpshomah3a5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG][/IMG]

Interior

Here are a few pics of our almost complete interior. We still have a few things to finish, such as arm rest pads, stick boots, foot wells, and a rear stick cover. But it is functional for flight as it is. This stuff will probably get done after it flies. We are concentrating on the exterior now in order to be able to bolt the wings permanently. All fabrication is done except the dreaded fiber-glassing.
6d528f314a6312cd62179e2397f7757f_zpspm4gpu6v.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
83992f453955af2f7b95166616632224_zpstttdffp5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
b663a953d1a24645c5eeecc3fac3a248_zps6y5jkxvu.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
68a93355d7212b13159bece1362dcdba_zpsclhjymcn.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
fcc4979dab056cb94dc5a670224a68e2_zpsk1g5cfqv.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
4042f838ae3c51fab68b7190377a832a_zpsyygldadt.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
169fbfaa2ae5e38c4b041df39a2949e9_zpsrdquuwl1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Arlie, that's the coolest looking -4 panel and interior I've seen. Awesome work! I'm looking to buy a flying RV-4 soon and hope it's half as cool as yours.

Dave

I have to give all the credit to the other owner, Justin. This was all his doing. I'm blessed to have a perfectionist as a plane partner. The interior and panel is completely hand fabricated. Nothing was store bought. We even hand formed the seat foam from a set of old car seats and had a local upholstery shop do the leather. This is the first time we actually got to see the entire interior installed and everything powered up. It exceeded my expectations.

Wow, just looking at what you have done with the 4 has brought be back to the idea of one. What efis are you using and screen size?

I contacted Justin about the switches for those wanting to know where he got them. This is his reply."I drew the art using Coreldraw and had the switches made at www.otrattw.net. They primarily make switches for off road trucks and buggies but will make anything you want if you contact them. Let them know that they are custom made not off the shelf. Also tell them that the airplane symbols on the switches are in fact a RV4 fastback and the avionics master is our efis, the GRT Sport SX 8.4 with synthetic vision. I think one guy asked what efis so there it is. Every word, symbol, and drawing in this entire airplane is custom made from Corel. Kind cool if you think about it.
Sent from my iPad"

Placard

I love the procedures placarded on the starboard canopy rail.

I'm curious: does the starter switch, forward of the throttle, have a lockout?

starter lockout

Yes, as I understand it, you can program the VPX to disable the starter once the engine starts to keep from accidentally grinding the flywheel. BTW, the starter button is for a Lexus. We needed a low profile starter button and this one fit the bill.

Wow

Arlie that is beautiful! I can only hope that my project turns out half as good as yours. That is a masterpiece that you should be proud of!

In primer

We are in the process of dry fitting all the control surfaces to make sure everything fits and functions perfectly, then we will tear it all back down and send it off to the painter.
05608374d9711f3da81090b16a6b0f1b_zpswj9aacok.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Deja Vu...

She's getting really close now

John-Luke,
I recently had the honor of doing a pre-buy inspection on AXO's first RV4 he's selling since he finished his FB4. Looking at yours, Arlie's and AXO's fastbacks, and being a Jurassic builder (having seen the first FB4 many years ago), I get a huge grin on my face.:)
Everybody asks me the question "Knowing what you know now, how would you build your next RV4?"

Well, thanks to you guys, here's a photo!
image.jpg1_zpspk0isxdd.jpg

Great work!
V/R
Smokey

Last edited:
Here are a few pics of our almost complete interior. We still have a few things to finish, such as arm rest pads, stick boots, foot wells, and a rear stick cover. But it is functional for flight as it is. This stuff will probably get done after it flies. We are concentrating on the exterior now in order to be able to bolt the wings permanently. All fabrication is done except the dreaded fiber-glassing.
6d528f314a6312cd62179e2397f7757f_zpspm4gpu6v.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
83992f453955af2f7b95166616632224_zpstttdffp5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
b663a953d1a24645c5eeecc3fac3a248_zps6y5jkxvu.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
68a93355d7212b13159bece1362dcdba_zpsclhjymcn.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
fcc4979dab056cb94dc5a670224a68e2_zpsk1g5cfqv.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
4042f838ae3c51fab68b7190377a832a_zpsyygldadt.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
169fbfaa2ae5e38c4b041df39a2949e9_zpsrdquuwl1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

That thing is truly remarkable. Something to really be proud of!
The panel looks awesome. Reminds me of a high end Mercedes dash board or something.

Almost ready

The plane is out of paint and yesterday (8-28-15) the wings were back on with the real hardware, so they ain't coming back off. Now it's on to final re-assembly, W&B,engine break in, fresh conditional inspection, and flight. I will post pictures when it's all back together.

The plane is out of paint and yesterday (8-28-15) the wings were back on with the real hardware, so they ain't coming back off. Now it's on to final re-assembly, W&B,engine break in, fresh conditional inspection, and flight. I will post pictures when it's all back together.

Looking forward to it!

Belly skin!

Sure wish I was as far along as Arlie. ;)

Hadn't posted status in a while, so here is a good one for me. The .040, F422 belly skin comes as a large rectangular piece. (For you QB guys, this means that you gotta fabricate it) :rolleyes: Sorry.. had to...

syb5mw.jpg

It is fabricated, and being drilled in place. It's drilled as far back as the spar.

Hope to finish drilling skins this week.

GB

Looks great Gregg!
I really enjoyed building my -4, and that lower skin takes a little time. I sealed the split seam with Proseal. That area ends up with oil and junk that will migrate in otherwise, especially if you ever install a smoke system. Keep driving those rivets!

Nearly an aeroplane!

Hi all
Engine run complete.3 minor adjustments made,and first taxi test successful.
W+B then paper work left.:D

2z6e2v6.jpg

Very nice David! I especially like the tail shot. Is that your runway in the picture or a dog-leg right at the local golf course? :D

Mucho Sweet

there David!! Australia is going to be reduced in size to you and your "magic carpet". Enjoy your new adventures. :D

Cheers & best,

Pick of the litter...

And another

2566b6u.jpg

G'day David and "Fair Dinkum!"
It's great to see another "self drilled" RV about to slip the surlies. You're going to love it, truly the pick of the litter...trust me!

Seeya!
Smokey

PS: My RV4 "The Bandit" turns 20 Oct 1st, still going strong!

Last edited:
Nearly an aeroplane

Thanks all

Still feel "stunned" that I'm actually at this stage! And when thinking back to all the jig building and drilling all the holes , I still feel like I have assembled it not Built it! I think thats a testament to how good and complete the kit is!

cheers

Finished

N124TT restoration is officially finished. The conditional inspection was signed off today. It's ready to fly. Glamor shots to follow.

Back