What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fiber glass ops.

E. D. Eliot

Well Known Member
Please advise for my RV-12 - how much 'peel ply' do I need? Any other ideas on which epoxy, fiberglass, etc to use would be appreciated. Thanks again.

Please advise for my RV-12 - how much 'peel ply' do I need? Any other ideas on which epoxy, fiberglass, etc to use would be appreciated. Thanks again.

Maybe a yard of peel ply....West Systems epoxy (because of ease to measure part a & b)...get 2 quarts and 2 yards of fiberglass from Aircraft Spruce (you will have plenty left over). Get some epoxy beads....West Systems #407 I believe to make up filler to (make sure you make it thick enough or it will ooze all over).

You really can't screw up....if you don't like it....sand and redue. Make sure you protect canopy plexi from scratching. I used three layers of white electrical tape to give sufficient edge @ plexi

Have fun...initial (1st fiberglass layer)...let it get well set up (not dry), or you will weep epoxi into avionics bay.

You can also use dacron or ceconite fabric -- perhaps one of your "wood & fabric" airplane friends has some leftover scraps laying around. I found the lighter grades to be more flexible regarding contours.

When I used peel ply on past projects it was only to provide a surface I could bond to with another fiberglass layer.

Back