What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV 12 Light Kit Problem

Walt Shipley

I have a buyer for my RV 12, and as a favor I agreed to install a light kit. This is my 3rd Vans plane and my 8 and 8A lights were easy to install. But this kit
is different!

I thought I was about done, when to my amazement, I found the only light that worked was the landing light. The nav/strobe lights didn't work and neither did the cockpit light.

So I pulled the left wing out and started checking voltage on the power wires
to the strobe and nav lights. With just the master on, I got 10v, about right. But with the avionics and nav/strobe light switch on, I got fluctuating voltages between 1v and down to about .04v.

Any ideas about what could be going wrong?

Walt Shipley

10 volts is not about right. Voltage should be about 12.5 or whatever the battery voltage is. It sounds like a bad connection or bad switch. Check the fuse. If good, then remove the Switch-module D-Sub-connector from the AV-50000A and check pins 1 and 14 with a test light.
Without a load, a voltmeter can give a misleading indication like it did when it read 10 volts.

For what it's worth, I just tested my nav/pos/strobe and landing lights with a small 9 volt battery at the wing root connector and everything worked, so seems like a valid test.

2lny0i1.jpg

2ed748l.jpg

246wavo.jpg

10 volts is not about right. Voltage should be about 12.5 or whatever the battery voltage is. It sounds like a bad connection or bad switch. Check the fuse.;) If good, then remove the Switch-module D-Sub-connector from the AV-50000A and check pins 1 and 14 with a test light.
Without a load, a voltmeter can give a misleading indication like it did when it read 10 volts.

Joe, God bless you man. Three simple words did it "Check the fuse" I hate
to admit being so dumb, but I forgot to put a fuse in the slot for the Nav/strobe lights. Duh !

I doubt that you really know how much you help those of us who are less talented. But I for one, really appreciate what you do for this group.

If you're ever near Hensley Airpark, near Greeneville, TN, look me up, I'd
like to treat you to a nice meal.

Walt Shipley;);)

Helping others gives me a warm feeling. And electrical troubleshooting is FUN!
It was especially rewarding helping Herbert from Lima Peru in THIS thread.
We all have those Duh moments. I admitted having one in THIS post.

Back