What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Another oil hose routing problem?

Piper J3

Well Known Member
I found the VA-214 oil hose that routes from the oil radiator to the oil pump on the right side of the engine was abrading on the muffler exhaust spring. This is the hose that passes thru the right front cylinder exhaust elbow, curves close to the cowling, and then passes over the muffler to connector to the oil radiator.

In my case I found the fire sleeve worn completely thru to the stainless steel weave that protects the base hose. No telling how long this condition existed or how long before the hose would have been completely compromised. A new hose is on order from Van’s.

It seems the problem is setting the correct angle when tightening 90° elbow on VA-214 hose at the oil radiator fitting. This is a little bit of trial and error because you are working on the radiator when it is suspended in mid-air and not in its final mounting position when fastened to the lower cowling. I would suggest verifying the hose routing once the radiator and lower cowling are mounted in position. With the top cowling still removed, it is easy to feel with fingers to see if the hose is equal distance between the two exhaust pipes on the right side of the engine.

-
2igd7yw.png

Is this a place that RTV sealant can be used (after hose replaced) at the possible wear point ?

I don't think so. I took a good hard look and don't see much of a solution. The hose is directed (cantilevered) in a horizontal loop for it's full length out into empty space between the engine and lower cowling. The hose doubles back on itself so the end fittings on the oil radiator and the oil pump are at most about 6" apart. I didn't measure the hose length but I'd guess it's close to 24". Perhaps a better solution might be to use a shorter hose with more direct route. This would also save having the hose pass thru the exhaust header on the right front cylinder.

I think Van's designed it this way to make the oil radiator more compliant during cowling attachment.

I've thought about using fiberglass to fabricate some sort of ledge for the hose loop to rest upon or perhaps be strapped to. Any downside foreseeable?

Back