What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Walk Area

joedallas

Well Known Member
Wing Walk Area

The wing walk seams a little narrow.
Has anyone hand anyone step off and dent the area next to the walk.

Adding one more nose rib next to the walk before I close up the top of the wing should help.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Joe Dallas

I've had a number of people in and out and I've been in and out innumerable times and it hasn't been a problem. No problem at all for me and I always help passengers in and out to make sure they don't fall or step in the wrong place.

"Width" hasn't been an issue for me. I did add some wing-walk "length" by applying more anti-skid aft of the small original pad where there is additional supporting structure.

Because of the cockpit configuration of the RV-12, the typical entry / exit process used by most people involves one foot on the step, then one foot on the wing walk, then the first foot into the cockpit.

There is no climbing up onto and standing on the wing with both feet as in many other aircraft, so the area on the wing doesn't need to be very big.

Because of the cockpit configuration of the RV-12, the typical entry / exit process used by most people involves one foot on the step, then one foot on the wing walk, then the first foot into the cockpit.

There is no climbing up onto and standing on the wing with both feet as in many other aircraft, so the area on the wing doesn't need to be very big.

Scott,

This brings up a good point. Many of us chrome-domed -12 owners aren't as supple as we used to be. Having a slightly wider weight bearing surface at the wing root would not be a bad idea.

As a matter of fact due to a recent very stupid self-imposed injury to my knee (would never publicly disclose how I did this :eek:), I may have to modify my ingress technique at least for a while. I just got back in town after a several months absence so I will test my technique later today.

My wife loves to fly but had a "little" problem exiting the RV-12 (missed step) back in April. She's doing physical therapy now and regaining her stride. She half-jokingly wants me to get her a lift sling like they use in hospitals to help her in/out of the 12. Tuff summer...

2h68x8m.jpg

My wife loves to fly but had a "little" problem exiting the RV-12 (missed step) back in April. She's doing physical therapy now and regaining her stride. She half-jokingly wants me to get her a lift sling like they use in hospitals to help her in/out of the 12. Tuff summer...
Yeah, that's why I ALWAYS help anyone who's not been in and out of a -12 many times get in and out. Finding that step when you're backing down can be tricky unless you're used to it.

Heck Joe, run it all the way to the wing tip! Makes preflight checks of lights much easier!
hwkawl.jpg
[/IMG]

Scott,

This brings up a good point. Many of us chrome-domed -12 owners aren't as supple as we used to be. Having a slightly wider weight bearing surface at the wing root would not be a bad idea.

As a matter of fact due to a recent very stupid self-imposed injury to my knee (would never publicly disclose how I did this :eek:), I may have to modify my ingress technique at least for a while. I just got back in town after a several months absence so I will test my technique later today.

Personally, I think it makes it harder to get in and out if someone moves to a full standing position with both feet on the wing (put you a lot higher with not much to hang on to), but I guess there can be some variability in how people are able to maneuver themselves.

No Joe, but us old "fixed income" types have to try to pick up a little more money any way we can though.

Back