What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Adsb question

wnplt

Well Known Member
I just got my RV7 painted and I had reserved a new N number. I received authorization from the FAA to apply the new n number to the plane which we did. I then sent the final paperwork to the FAA and am waiting for an updated registration. The FAA n number search still shows my new n number as reserved but pending to my plane but they haven?t processed my final paperwork yet.

My question is do I reprogram the Adsb with the new n number and associated hex code? Not sure if it will block it in the system since my new n number is not showing the normal registration information. On the other hand I don?t want to be transmitting the old n number data either.

As long as you have the letter from the Aircraft Registration Branch authorizing your new N number, you can paint it on the plane and use your original Aircraft Registration form along with that letter, to be kept on board the airplane until you get the new registration form mailed to you. When you say hex code, it sounds like you?re referring to your ELT registration, which you should do, since that?s the number on the plane now. The correct information won?t appear online at the Aircraft Registration Branch for some time. I did exactly the same thing when I was getting my RV8 painted and I had the new registration form before it showed up on the N number search online. As far as the other paperwork - Airworthiness certificate, and new Limitations, I just took my FAA registration authorization letter to my local FSDO office and they took care of those other two items right then and there.

Hex

I think by hex code... he means the ICAO code found on registration. It is a needed element to program all ADS-B transmitters.
It might be safer to just treat it like the N number. When you switch that over, then re-program the ICAO.
The big security flaw, of course, is that anyone can program anything... at any time. It is an honesty system, basically.
Just as you could call ATC with a different N number on the radio...
How would they know?
Some ADS-B transmitters had a data base that inserted the correct ICAO according to your N number. Most now, require that the owner or installer insert that code.

Yes I got the aurthorization letter from the FAA and it has been painted on. I have the letter to carry with me.. I reprogrammed the new n number and ADSB hex code into the uavionix. I guess I will see if it works as the new n number registration has not been processed yet by the FAA.

As a side question, did you also request that the Airworthiness Certificate and Operation Limitations reflect the new tail number? All 3 must have the new tail number before you are "legal" to fly.

:cool:

Last edited:
Back