Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-1
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2011, 11:48 AM

Ernie, I know this is early in the whole "RV-1 Tour" planning, But I have hangar space for 2 or 3 RV's with places to sleep. so if there is a need for additional accomodations I have them.
Also I would love to host RV-1 and would coordinate a EAA chapter meeting or Montana Pilots Association meeting or newspaper interview or quiet "don't tell anyone" RON.

The Rans and Glasair are gone, so lately my -7 is all alone and will be most all of next year.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:04 PM

Ernie... I sent you a PM.
Repeat Offender / Race 007
Friend of the RV-1
Old 12-02-2011, 12:08 PM

In cleaning up my hangar recently, I found some instrument lights that others here were kind enough to take off my hands and put to good use. I thought about just sending the money from the lights to DR, but I don't want him to retire too well or too early.

So, I think I'll make a donation to the Friends of RV-1 instead! It's not much, but every little bit helps.

I think I might scrounge around the hangar and see if I can find other goodies to liquidate to say thanks to Van ...

Builder: RV-8 "Smokey"
Old 12-02-2011, 09:29 PM

Default Work Day?

Hi Ernie & Paul,

Is there enough work left to be done on the plane for another work day? We got this RV8 now, and need a place to go with it... Any menial dirty job will do. We even like fiberglass. And my offer still stands for writing/design/brochures/whatever you might need that I can do!
Jabiru J200 flying after restoration and new panel!
Old 12-03-2011, 07:07 AM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieB View Post
Hi Ernie & Paul,

Is there enough work left to be done on the plane for another work day? We got this RV8 now, and need a place to go with it... Any menial dirty job will do. We even like fiberglass. And my offer still stands for writing/design/brochures/whatever you might need that I can do!
Now that you mention it Katie.....I am not sure when we'll schedule another "big" workday, with the holidays coming up and all, and with the engine now on hand, some of the locals are going to start re-integrating that and the new electrical stuff. But the re-manufactured belly pan needs to be fitted, and a "bump" built in to it (out of glass) to accommodate the bottom end of the stick. After seeing the sheet metal work that you are doing on the Tony Boy repair, I would think you'd be an excellent candidate for getting teat belly fit and installed - and you could do it whenever you can arrange a time to meet at Jay's. PM me if you'd like to set this up!

We should have wheel pant blanks soon as well (they are being laid up right now BY THE MAN HIMSELF!), and those will need to be fitted and have mounting hardware built up - another good "small group" task.

The big work days have been a blast, and we'll continue them, but there is lots that can be done by individuals working alone or in small groups.
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 12-03-2011, 11:04 PM

Many of you have generously responded to Paul’s note about “Saying Thanks to Van”, and from the notes we’ve received many more will be saying thank you very soon. From all of us at Friends of the RV-1, we extend our sincere Thank You for your generosity and support! For most of us, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity to become a part of aviation history and Van’s legacy. Make plans now to attend AirVenture on opening day. EAA has partnered with our efforts and reserved opening day to honor Van, the RV-1 will be on display at ConocoPhillips Square where it will be presented to the EAA Museum, and in the evening we’ll host a program at Theater in the Woods honoring Van. Thank you Van!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironflight View Post

A couple of years ago, when I was first shown the RV-1 sitting in a dusty corner of a quiet hangar, I thought to myself “you know, I bet we could find twenty-five or thirty experienced RV folks that have built a few airplanes and have the wherewithal to write a four-figure check to buy this thing and give it back to Dick!” Let’s face it – while many, many builders struggle and scrimp to build their RV’s as inexpensively as possible, there is also a large number who are easily spending north of six figures to complete their glass-equipped traveling dreams. With a single SL-40 costing $1400, was it that out of line to figure we could pool some money to say “Thanks” to Van for all he has done?

A year ago, purchasing the RV-1 became a reality due primarily to the generous donation of an anonymous donor who also thinks that Dick should be recognized by the community. I received many notes congratulating Louise and I on the purchase. Let me be very clear – Louise and I did not purchase, and have never owned the RV-1! It was purchased and paid for by the non-profit “Friends of the RV-1”. My dream and vision is shared by others – I was simply the person who bubbled it up to a visible surface.

Through the generous initial donation of the aircraft, we were able to get started on the restoration, and the overall goal of reconnecting the airplane to its creator, then putting it on permanent display at Oshkosh is well on its way. Most of the hardware needed to get it flying has been generously donated by the vendors who support our avocation. Most of the labor required to this point has also been provided free of charge by builders who wanted to contribute – heck, the “Friends” doesn’t even supply lunch on the work days (Jay Pratt has done that)! But there are still expenses with the restoration that need to be covered, and the cost of bringing the entire dream to reality are still up ahead – costs for operating and displaying the airplane will rise as we get it airworthy. We have been very quiet on the fund-raising front to this point, but it is time to think about the future – the fly-in season of 2012, and taking the airplane around the country to it’s finish at Oshkosh.

Friends of the RV-1 is a non-profit, 501 C(3) organization. All contributions are tax deductible. Keep that in mind as the year comes to a close. Those twenty-five or thirty folks I thought about have yet to materialize, but I can tell you that Louise and I have each written one for those four-figure checks. With three RV’s in our stable, I consider it nothing more than a “tip” to honor the man who made those airplanes possible. We’d love to see lots of names in the RV-1 logbook when it gets to the museum. Would you like yours there? Say thanks to Van - Tax deductible donations can be mailed directly to Friends of the RV-1 at PO Box 1064, League City TX 77574-1064, or visit the website www.RV-1.org for PayPal and credit card donations.

Students build the airplane." -Glen Salmon

Dedicated to the historical preservation of the RV-1 Aircraft
and organized for the purposes of promoting, supporting,
fostering, and engaging in aviation and aerospace education.

www.RV-1.org
www.EaglesNestProjects.org

Last edited by Special Delivery : 12-03-2011 at 11:23 PM.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:43 PM

Ernie,

I'll be in shortly as a supporter (have the sticker I received from Paul and Louise at the R-cubed BBQ displayed proudly!). Nice work organizing support!

Paul,

I can't make the trip for workdays normally, but are there any bits or pieces or dirty lil' jobs that could be farmed out to us here at Stead. I know Greg and I and others would welcome the chance to roll up our sleeves and get a little RV-1 dirt under our fingernails. Please let us know if we can help!

You guys are purty fair cat-herders!

Cheers,
Bob
Sport Class Air Racing "Race 49"
SARL "Race 49"
West Coast Ravens FFI RV Formation Squadron
APRS Track
Old 12-04-2011, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironflight View Post
But the re-manufactured belly pan needs to be fitted, and a "bump" built in to it (out of glass) to accommodate the bottom end of the stick.
Send dimensions for the bump (or whatever is left of the old one) and I'll fabricate a new one ready to install in the belly metal.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:59 AM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
Send dimensions for the bump (or whatever is left of the old one) and I'll fabricate a new one ready to install in the belly metal.
I'll see if someone can get a good picture and dimensions for you Dan - thanks!

Bob and Greg and the "Guys at Stead" - we'll see what we can find! We're hoping to have a new lower cowl soon....but I think that's going to have to be fitted at Hicks. Might well be something down the road....
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 12-04-2011, 07:14 AM

I am not sure how I missed this thread, but donation sent.
RV-44 : 4 place helicopter on order.