What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12iS avionics

rcarsey

Well Known Member
I recently took delivery of the finishing kit -- boy, that was like Christmas in June.. a crate with a lot more than the standard sheet metal and fasteners I've grown accustomed to..

But onto the real question... I noticed that the Garmin and Dynon packages on Van's site were for pre-iS kits. I understand some parts in the iS avionics kit will be different.. engine probes is the only thing I can think of at the moment... which makes me wonder why Van's hasn't posted the Dynon and Garmin iS avionics prices already..

Are they considering making major changes?? (on the level of when they changed over to the Garmin radio)

Take a look at photos of the RV-12iS panel

All of the electrical modules in the panel are of new design to work with the new electrical system of the iS engine. An entirely new wiring harness has also been developed with (I think) 100% of the wire terminations pre-finished. The harness will be fully tested using the actual equipment that will come in your avionics kit. It has also been designed to be the very last kit purchased. The harness and wire routing paths in the fuselage has been designed so that the fully finished harness can be installed in a completely finished fuselage.

hmmm.. i guess a lot of stuff would need to be terminated if they were to do a full test with real equipment.. I do enjoy doing wiring.. but after the 100th termination, it gets old..

I like the idea of the avionics sub-kit being last. The avionics is the thing that ages quickly.. everyone's always coming out with new gear.. We've already seen the D180, Skyview, and now HDX... next year it'll be the HDX Pro and then the HDX Super Pro.. HDX Elite :) so the less time the gear sits in a to-be-finished aircraft, the better.

So it sounds like its good news that they are sticking with the G3X and HDX options. Less decisions for me. I wish the garmin radio had discrete buttons for atis, ground, tower, atc like dynon does... but all in all, the garmin radio is solid .. and g3x and hdx (or original skyview), are all well-known and there are a ton of reviews to help people make a decision.

hmmm.. i guess a lot of stuff would need to be terminated if they were to do a full test with real equipment.. I do enjoy doing wiring.. but after the 100th termination, it gets old..

I like the idea of the avionics sub-kit being last. The avionics is the thing that ages quickly.. everyone's always coming out with new gear.. We've already seen the D180, Skyview, and now HDX... next year it'll be the HDX Pro and then the HDX Super Pro.. HDX Elite :) so the less time the gear sits in a to-be-finished aircraft, the better.

So it sounds like its good news that they are sticking with the G3X and HDX options. Less decisions for me. I wish the garmin radio had discrete buttons for atis, ground, tower, atc like dynon does... but all in all, the garmin radio is solid .. and g3x and hdx (or original skyview), are all well-known and there are a ton of reviews to help people make a decision.

It's very easy to select these frequencies from G3X and transfer to the radio.

Back