What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Slick Mags

jcfolck

I've have owned and flown a RV10-N611LM for the last three years about 270Hrs with a IO-540---(460 Hrs Smoh). It seems that I have had problems with my slick mags about every 130 hours. Each time I have had them rebuild both of the mags.

Annual was back in April and the basic check of the mags was complete and found Ok. My last trip was to Florida which was good trip Left 6 days later to head home and had a great trip back. I was due for a oil and filter which i completed and leak check all was good. Decide to take it for flight check the mags and the left one was rough. I ran it up thinking a plug had loaded up ..leaned it then recheck the left mag still rough. Low idle running on the left engine ran very rough..right mag was smooth. Ran it up to take off power all seemed smooth??

Have someone coming this week to look at the mag and hopefully service it. Looking for any ideas of why I seem to have problems with the mags. Had a RV7A with a IO-360 and mags were never touch till they have 600 hours.

Thanks

Do you have an IO540D4A5 engine. If so, are either one of the mags a Slick impulse coupling type. If so, that may be an issue. Per Slick, they highly recommend removing any Slick impulse from that series of engine and using a Lazer or shower of sparks in place of.

Have you check the plugs?
High resistance plugs and or improperly gapped plugs can ruin mags.
Mags/wires/plugs all work as a system and need to treated as such.

Mags-rv10

Spark plugs have been replaced and gap

Prop has been balanced-actually rebuilt

Will check type of slick

What type electronic mag- ignition would you Recommend

Spark plugs have been replaced and gap

Prop has been balanced-actually rebuilt

Will check type of slick

What type electronic mag- ignition would you Recommend

I've been using ElectroAir for many years and never had a problem. They make a 6 cylinder ignition.

.....and the left one was rough. I ran it up thinking a plug had loaded up ..leaned it then recheck the left mag still rough. Low idle running on the left engine ran very rough..right mag was smooth. Ran it up to take off power all seemed smooth?

I had/have same symptoms on O320. Brain trust at VAF recommended checking plugs for high resistance. BTW what brand plugs...Champion by chance ? Seems this brand is known vs Tempest, to sometimes have a sizable resistance change upwards. Not saying for sure, but changed out all plugs attached to left impulse coupled Slick 4373 mag to Tempest brand ($130). Since ( 10 hours and 8 mag checks) not an issue. The plugs removed appeared in great condition, but two of the four had considerable higher resistance. There is a difference by brand as to how our ?resistor? plugs? resistance is designed in. There are those that have never seen the resistance issue with Tempest brand. I personally would like to know how the inspection goes of your mags. Keep sharing. You can search for my posts to see how others addressed my issue... post by bh1166. Good luck.

In instances where there is a miss-fire in the engine during a run-up, the very first thing to look at is the EGT Instrument.

This will tell you whether the problem is localized to a single cyl or not.
If it is, the related plug can be inspected (lead fowling that might not have cleared with excessive leaning, excessive resistance, etc.), and if nothing found, then the ign. lead, distributor cap, etc.

Never assume that a miss-fire / roughness means that the mag has failed.

Back