What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tank question

dweyant

Well Known Member
I put my left tank on the wing today for the first time (just clekod together).

There is a fairly large gap (about 1/16 inch) between the top skin and the tank.

I can't figure out how to get the tank farther down on the spar. Is this something to worry about, or will it go away when I rivet? If it is something to worry about how do I correct?

Thanks,

-Dan

Fitting

I strapped my tank down tight, but not for the top skin alignment, I did it to match up with the outboard leading edge joint. I waited to actually have the tank finished and installed before I touched the mating skin surface edges because I wanted to see what I had before removing material. I found all I needed to do was smooth them out. Everything fits really nice. I did need those straps to get that fit.

I had the same problem. I found that the clecos on the rear baffle were hitting the spar and causing it to sit just a little high....

Mine ended up about 1/32" after riveting. Its one of those things that fade when you get to the next problem.

Straps are helpful as Andrew mentioned. I strapped mine just in case and gap came out really small. No pictures sorry.

Timely question. Didn't notice it on left wing but now on right wing I do. Seemed to be worse on inboard side. Will see how it works out after final assbly.

Jay

Back