What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Home Brew Center Console

KJBSouth

Well Known Member
Being frugal I made one out of wood.

P181217 (5).JPG

I have a definite need for access to small items (eye glasses, handheld radio, patch cords, drinks, etc.) while flying.

P181217 (3).JPG

It's made from Home Depot poplar 1/4" sheet that was planed down to 1/8" thick.

P181217 (1).JPG

Construction:
  1. Measure the dimensions and angles of the tunnel cover between the seats.
  2. Cut this profile into the bottom edge of one side piece.
  3. Put that side piece into the plane and draw a seat top profile on it.
  4. Match cut the second console side piece to the first.
  5. Glue the floor pieces between the sides maintaining sides vertically parallel.
  6. Glue the ends between the sides to form a rigid box.
  7. Add mid console dividers and a cover to fit your needs.

P181217 (4).JPG

The console is a snug slide fit between the seats and is easy to remove.
Enjoy!

That’s beautiful work. Most of my experience is in woodworking so the metal working of the RV has been a shift. Nice to see wood works it’s way tastefully into the final product in some instances. (Not 80’s wood panel van style)

I have to Ask

What holds 1/8 plywood together so nicely without corner reinforcements?

Nice! Suggest you add something that will keep things in their place - you dont get un-expected turbulence on the road, but in the air, well.....

Nice! I like.
I've never really liked any kind of "console" there, but you make me think I could do better than just throwing random stuff into that dark hole only to be in search of it later.
And running some home depot scrap through the planer as opposed to paying for hobby ply, genius :).

I love this! THanks for posting. I saved this for the future... I want some sort of console. This is great for sure!

You MUST make these.

Ok Karl, so I guess you now know that from all of the positive responses that you've received regarding this little console that you have no other choice but to make them and sell them. LOL!! Or, at the very least you'll have to make your drawings with dimensions and materials list available for download so that us mere mortals can attempt to build our own and hope that it comes out half as nice as yours.

Mark

I've got the manual aileron trim, so for access I think I'll make a box that sits on the horizontal part of the seat pan, just aft of the fuel selector. I just want a convenient place to put my iPhone, because I'm always grabbing it to take a photo, so it'll be sized for that.

Nice

I just came across this. Looks great and i am sure a bunch on here would enjoy a little project while we are all locked up.

Anyone happen to have the dimensions already drawn up?

Would save us all some trouble and it could be a bit of an open source project where we find some great suggestions to even improve.
Add a drink holder, or ...

Just an idea as i really like this and while i have aileron trim under this, i never use it and always have loose pencils or junk stuck down there. There could be a false bottom, plate to cover the trim so its out of the way. I have seen other consoles but this just looks much cleaner and professional. Great idea.

Last edited:
3d printer?

Now if someone had a nice template/dimensions drawn up and a 3d printer, would this not be a great little project to make out of plastic, thin and strong?

Better yet, make some and sell on vaf. I would buy!

Thanks to CV-19, I haven't worked since the 24th of March. I could get use to this! Trying to use my time wisely so I recently completed the 8th annual condition inspection on the RV. It was due this month anyway. Once I finished, I thought I would pick up on the original posters nice looking center console. I did change mine up a bit. I have an arm rest in the forward area between the seats which I love. Little spot below for pencils and paper. I wanted to use the more aft space between the seats and the space moving up. I have the manual aileron trim just aft of the armrest so can't cover/interfere with that area. I still have to put some kind of stain/varnish/paint covering. It's secured through the bottom with a single screw through to a nutplate on the bottom side of the tunnel cover. I also have to come up with a simple latch at the top. Test flew with in tonight. Can't even tell it's there. Here's the finished project. I like it. (I meant to weigh it before I left the airport. I'll be surprised if it weighs over a pound).

IMG_2789 by Paul Gray, on Flickr

IMG_2790 by Paul Gray, on Flickr

IMG_2792 by Paul Gray, on Flickr

IMG_2799 by Paul Gray, on Flickr

Edited:
Here it is after finishing. The spot in second pic lower front is what happens when you don't get all the glue wiped off before it dries. I also didn't put a latch at the top because it stays in place fine. It is functional and cleaned up the cockpit.

IMG_2837 by Paul Gray, on Flickr

IMG_2842 by Paul Gray, on Flickr

IMG_2843 by Paul Gray, on Flickr

Last edited:
The Falco Kit plane and many planes have been made all from wood! Wood is God's composite material. Nice. I might consider doing a center storage divider thing.

Here's mine

Just finished my center console. 1/4 birch plywood from aviation aisle at Home Depot. Includes arm for iPad mount and custom cutouts for
  • Handheld radio
  • Flashlight
  • Notepad and pen
  • Fuel dipstick
  • Fuel test cup
  • Screwdriver (fuel cap opener)
Also has a large (3-1/4" W x 8" L x 5" D) opening for whatever else I might need.

Here's a couple of pictures. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Downside of using plywood is a few cosmetic chips, but most of those won't be visible once this is installed.

console-empty.jpg

console-full.jpg

Last edited:
Back