What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap Actuator Flip ???

BruceW

Well Known Member
Finally going to replace the full actuator after multiple motor fails, grease cleanouts and metal shards in the gearbox. (280 hrs)

Has anyone pondered flipping the actuator mount so the motor is on top and, in theory, wont drip grease into the motor??? (DWG 33 of RV-7 plans)

Would have to add a bubble on the F-766A channel to cover. Don't know if it would stick out beyond the seats or create a shoulder conflict. Might want to add a doubler around the hold in the channel.

Thoughts ???

I have one mounted in my Emeraude with the motor up. I just cleaned it and buffed the commutator because it acted up. Don't forget to scrape the crusty crud off the brushes.

What vintage RV-7?

I seem to remember some changes in flap motor brand prior to my kit but I could be wrong. (roughly 2007 for those parts in my build process)

I'll probably regret saying this but my flap system is at 500 hrs going strong.

Why not simply buy a second motor? Make the change and clean the second one out at your leisure on the bench. Minimal downtime and a spare motor.... I utilize the same technique with K&N Filters on my truck. The swap is quick and I'm not stuck waiting for an element to dry before I can re-oil it. (I plan to do the same with my aircraft if I ever get it flying.)

Good luck!

Back