What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Harbor Freight Bandsaw

JDA_BTR

Well Known Member
So I got the tabletop HF bandsaw. Works awesome. I have a 5 gal shopvac with the 1-1/2 inch hose connector. Something of a disconnect between that and the 2-1/4 inch bandsaw dust collector. Anyone solved this problem out there with something easy? I'm going after it with tape and an adapter unless somebody did something cool;

Haven't solved that one specifically, but there's a lot of sizes of PVC pipe and adapters out there that might work.

Greg

So I got the tabletop HF bandsaw....Anyone solved this problem out there with something easy? I'm going after it with tape and an adapter unless somebody did something cool;

I cut and clean up with the shop vac at the end of the evening work session. IMO the saw doesn't create the mess that necessitates running the vac while cutting. Now if I could attach it to the grinder for all the deburring afterward...;)

... Anyone solved this problem out there with something easy? I'm going after it with tape and an adapter unless somebody did something cool;

PLEASE, do not use a tool in a manner in which it was not intended. What you're proposing could result in an unsafe condition, where air leakage causes a whistling sound, or the hose becomes dislodged and falls to the ground!!

Yes of course. I'm sure that HF will not be liable for the awful possibilities! Perhaps if I turn the vacuum around and blow instead of suck at that hole something more interesting will happen? I'll let someone else try that one?..

Yes of course. I'm sure that HF will not be liable for the awful possibilities! Perhaps if I turn the vacuum around and blow instead of suck at that hole something more interesting will happen? I'll let someone else try that one…..

Blowing versus sucking would be a personal call. But again - BE VERY CAREFUL!! The vacuum potential of the typical shop vacuum can approach 10, *maybe* 15 inches mercury!!

Last edited:
PLEASE, do not use a tool in a manner in which it was not intended. What you're proposing could result in an unsafe condition, where air leakage causes a whistling sound, or the hose becomes dislodged and falls to the ground!!

However, if you attempt these changes capture the operations on video! :D

"Oh, the humanity!!!"

Masking tape worked for me. Of course realizing that this hazardous attitude was ingrained in my psyche was what caused me to stop building.

Well, that or something even more insidious. Whatev.

I cut and clean up with the shop vac at the end of the evening work session. IMO the saw doesn't create the mess that necessitates running the vac while cutting. Now if I could attach it to the grinder for all the deburring afterward...;)

I hope you are not using grinding aluminum on your grinder. Do a search on this forum or on Google for the reason this is a bad idea.

You know this thread went down the rabbit hole, but I just learned something - MIT says don't grind aluminum! Unless you have the wheel dresser. I think the scotchbrite wheel is safe; it wears from the aluminum.

clean up

I leave my mess so visitors can see there is work being done!:D

Actually, I'm in the same camp. I clean up often with a vacuum. The band saw doesn't make much of a mess. There's more shavings on the floor to vacuum.

I hope you are not using grinding aluminum on your grinder. Do a search on this forum or on Google for the reason this is a bad idea.

As a matter of fact I am; with scotchbrite wheels - medium on one side, fine the other - stock wheels available if ever needed for steel. On this site, I thought that was like 1 in front of the x in algebra:D

I think at one point in this thread you were trying to get an answer on the vac hose size. I have seen but I don't remember exactly where adapters for vac systems. You should try looking at woodworking stores. I have an adapter for my Bosch router that has a small 1" hose to my Sears vac. I think places like Woodcraft might have what you want.

Back