What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The empennage has arrived :)

RVdreamin

Okay....it's here and my hands are shaking. Inventory complete and there is no damage to the parts. Here is my first rookie question. Where is the best place to start? VS, HS, trim tab, does it matter...just follow the order listed in the instructions? This looks so cool.

Last edited:
Instructions.

Concur but when it comes to actually assembling parts - my recommendation is to begin with the vertical stab. It will require less space and if you make a mistake, it will not involve as many parts as the horizontal stab. Once you've learned on a small(er) part, move to a bigger one.

Good luck!

I started a few weeks ago, and what I am doing is all of the match drilling, dimpling, and creation of parts for the HS, VS, and Rudder.

I am then going to do a mass priming session, followed by Riveting of the VS first, most likely the HS after that then the Rudder. So as I think Mike said, instructions (VERY IMPORTANT READ CLOSELY AND STUDY plans) however I am modifying the order of the assembly based on convenience at least for priming and also for building up in complexity. I agree the VS would be the best place to begin riveting.

Trim tab?

Start with your first three attempts at the trim tab. That way the walls of your garage will get "seasoned" with dings and scuffs from flinging aluminum around in anger. :p

Calm down and take it slow. Read ahead in the instructions and make sure you understand not only the ones you are on, but the ones beyond. If there is any confusion, search VAF and you will find clarifications. Bookmark lots of other builder's web pages and consult them as you go.

It isn't a race, so enjoy the build as it progresses. :) Just think, in 4 years or so, you will have an airplane!

I started a few weeks ago, and what I am doing is all of the match drilling, dimpling, and creation of parts for the HS, VS, and Rudder.

I am then going to do a mass priming session, followed by Riveting of the VS first, most likely the HS after that then the Rudder. So as I think Mike said, instructions (VERY IMPORTANT READ CLOSELY AND STUDY plans) however I am modifying the order of the assembly based on convenience at least for priming and also for building up in complexity. I agree the VS would be the best place to begin riveting.

This is great advice!

Nice!

Hey Jimmy.....Congratulations and let the fun begin. Good advice here. One thing I learned is to take a cup of coffee and sit and stare at the blueprints and circle or highlight important notes and other things.....it will keep you from making dumb mistakes:eek: Ask me how I know?:(

Hey Jimmy---Breathe----very important to breathe. Read the instructions--twice, and get familiar with the parts and part numbers. Take your time!!!!
Tom

Another vote from everyone else's advice. Read ahead, fit everything together with clecos, make sure you see how all the parts fit together before you rivet anything. Maybe not so much in the tail, but later on you'll see why certain rivets have to be flat-head, countersunk on a certain side, etc - because they sit underneath another part.

And when they tell you to weigh everything down on the rudder and elevators when drilling the trailing edge, they mean it! Had to rebuild an elevator because the trailing edge was so screwed up. Rites of passage.

Go and buy yourself some of those organizing containers from Lowes or Target, and dump your various rivets, screws, bolts, etc into each one, labeled appropriately.

Otherwise, enjoy, take your time, and KEEP DOING SOMETHING. I try to do something, whether it's just drilling a part, just deburring, etc each night. It keeps things moving, and keeps the relatively "big" picture of how those parts go together fresh in my mind. The times where I've had to take a few weeks or a month off from building because I'm busy elsewhere is when I find I need a few nights of "ramp up / refresher" time to remember where I was, how things went together, etc.

Tounge in cheek

Start with your first three attempts at the trim tab. That way the walls of your garage will get "seasoned" with dings and scuffs from flinging aluminum around in anger. :p

Hey, be nice to the new guy! ;-)

I followed the the order in the plans .. HS is "big" and is easier to build when big, especially in the beginning

Back