What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cowling Modification to Fit

ethand

Well Known Member
Frustrating day at the hanger today working on the cowling.

With the top and bottom cowls cut to sit on the hinges I have a gap down the right side where the two cowls join. The cowls are pulled tight against the firewall hinges but the gap remains. The left side there is no gap but the pieces just touch so I cannot move the cowl over to make it fit the right side as they will both have gaps. The gap is 3/8: or so at the widest

I have not trimmed these sides but yet they do not fit.

Anyone else had this issue and solved it in some way I am not considering?

Thanks
Ethan

Frustrating day at the hanger today working on the cowling.

With the top and bottom cowls cut to sit on the hinges I have a gap down the right side where the two cowls join.

Thanks
Ethan

My cowl halves had VERY little excess material. Another 1/16" shorter on any of the horizontal seams and I'd have been in the same trouble as you.

Your best option is probably to scarf in an extension on one side of the cowl and move on. That's probably a good evening or two's work by the time you do the scarf, then (ultimately) clean it up for hinges and paint.

There have been several threads on scarfing fiberglass over the years. A search on the appropriate terms should provide plenty of information to move forward.

Back