What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Airpark; What to Ask?

s10sakota

Well Known Member
I know some of you live on airparks, and it is my dream to live on one. There is an airpark not far from where I live now that would work perfect for me. I'll post a link to their website below, but it looks perfect (for me). It's an hour drive to work for me, and it's not out in the middle-of-nowhere like a lot of other airparks. That is huge to me as I want to be very close to stores and shopping.

At this airpark, as you can see on their website they had HUGE plans to build this into something very big. General aviation is all but dead in Michigan and with the economy the way it is, the airpark was never finished. In fact, I see that no new homes have been built since 2006.

The website lists the lots at $85,800 which is absurd, especially in the town of Fenton. Some of those same lots are listed on Zillow at $30,000.

So what I'd like to do is buy a lot now, and then save for a year or so and then build the hangar/home. I think I have all the bargaining power because nothing has happened on this airpark for 10 years and with the current lack of GA in Michigan, I don't see a lot of people interested in an airpark home anytime in the near future. I think the developers would jump at the chance to actually make some return on their investment and sell another lot.

Problem is, I have no idea what to ask when I call about the property. I guess some important questions would be: who plows the runway in the winter, what are the taxes, current plans for the airpark, is it well water?, are gas and electrical lines run?, etc...

I really don't know anything about real estate. So my question to you guys is, who do I call first and what do I ask? Should I call a realtor first or call the number on the website and get some general info first? What other questions should I ask?

What don't I know about airparks that I need to know??

Thanks!

http://www.horizonlakesairpark.net/index1.shtml

Questions to ask, and who to ask.

If you would like a straight answer about the airpark, drive up there on a weekend, find a hanger open, walk up and ask the current owners. They would probably give you a better answer than the folks who are trying to sell.

They should be able to answer almost all of your questions you might have.

Also a good way to meet you perspective neighbors and see what going on. Maybe there might even be a RV builder/owner working on their project.

Good luck.

Brian

Deeded access

I would ask about deeded runway access. One airpark I visited charged a monthly runway fee. When I asked why they did not have deeded access the answer was "that is just incase we don't like someone". My response was "well, what if you don't like me?" Silence.....

Questions

Find out what the common association owns, who maintains it, and how fees are set and collected.

Is a reserve being set aside?

Or are future major repairs/replacements done by a single assessment?

If a single assessment, what is the voting requirement to get it passed?

All good ideas so far, another thing I have not seen mentioned yet------what protections are in place to keep the airport open?

Who actually owns the airport land, the runway, and any facilities that are part of the airport------FBO, tie downs , fuel, hangars, lighting equipment etc.

Do you have an airport district set up, or other entity? If so, how is it governed. Does the airport have a paid manager, or is it run by volunteers?

IMHO, protecting the airport is the biggest concern with an airpark------without the airport you are just in a high priced subdivision with big garages.

Is there a HOA or CCR entity for the individual lots, and what are the rules and fees involved?

Good luck, It is really sweet to live with a plane in your yard:D

IMHO, protecting the airport is the biggest concern with an airpark------

Good luck, It is really sweet to live with a plane in your yard:D

Ask about relations with whatever government entity (town, city, county) controls the surrounding land.

I think that efforts that work to close airports usually have the backing of local government.

Good idea to ask about neighbors complaint?. Also is there anyone on the park that is not an aviator and how many. Does everyone pay the common fees or just the ones that want to use them? Do the park residents get annoyed with round engines, night arrivals or departures, low passes, and the like. How are the finances for maintenance of runways and common areas? Are they prepared to re-pave and fix paving every 20 years?
These questions will give you a sense of the participatory nature of the residents and their love of flying planes and plane activities, as well as neighbors that can cause angst in the future.

Bargaining power?

Yes, you have "bargaining power". But you have it for a reason. And that reason is that most of this project is wishful thinking.

So my advice...if you are content with this airpark EXACTLY as is exists, and you can get in at that "bargain" price, then do it. But don't expect that this development will ever progress or that your lot will ever appreciate. Maybe good things WILL happen, but don't bet on it.

I would tend to be much more interested in Brighton, the alternative offered by another poster, even if the initial cost was more.

Disclaimer: I have not done extensive research on either of the airparks in question.

Find out what the common association owns, who maintains it, and how fees are set and collected.

Is a reserve being set aside?

Or are future major repairs/replacements done by a single assessment?

If a single assessment, what is the voting requirement to get it passed?

I missed this bit about it being a publicly owned airport -

Ownership: Publicly-owned
Owner: STATE OF MICHIGAN - AERONAUTICS
2700 EAST AIRPORT SERVICE DR
LANSING, MI 48906
Phone 517-335-9568

A long term "Through the Fence" agreement would be the most important item.

Hire a real estate attorney

Find out all you can via the methods mentioned, then before making an offer, hire a real estate attorney to look at the airpark's legal status and lot owners rights. I had a friend that was planning on purchasing a lot in a nearly fully developed marina with a private harbor. Turned out that none of the existing owners had any legal right to use the marina that they had been using for the previous decade. Developer and residences had to make changes to the to all the legal papers and status. It was complicated because it involved dozens of legal titles but in the end worked out. It was a can of worms that everyone was unaware of and if just one person wanted to be a pain, it would have been an issue for everyone. This error was discovered by the closing attorney.

Ask for a copy of the HOA agreement. Read and understand what's in it.

Ask about visitors, you personal liability, should someone crack up on your runway.

I wouldn't be so worried about the state owning the runway as Michigan has bought a few airports over the years to keep them open. (1D2 comes to mind.)

Ask about running around the field on golf carts, gators, etc.

What about fuel on the field? If none, what about fuel storage.

Lastly, are any residents attorneys? (We had a couple in the HOA I belonged to before moving to our airpark and not only were they a pain, they drove our HOA dues through the roof!) My apologies to any attorneys on this forum, but those two AH's did nothing but reinforce the stereotype!

Covenants.

There can be rules that dictate the kind/size/material of house/hangar you can build. The airpark I like by me has rules that make it so the house would be so high priced to build I can't afford it even if I was given a lot.

Someone may have already touched on this... Are all residents current on association dues. One park by me has non aviator residents that refuse to pay dues. This doubles the burden on those that do, and also adds a legal battle with legal fees, liens on those that don't pay, etc....

Mark

So many awesome relplies! Thank you all. There's a lot to think about and a lot of questions that need asked

For those of you who mentioned Brighton-that was my first choice but nothing is available. I did talk to a guy who owns empty lots and he want 100G for a lot! No thanks.

Look at GIS for this county. It will have parcel numbers, owners, taxes etc. You can see what the boundaries are for the parcels, rather than some guesses, or word of mouth. Also, covenants, I think, are needed to be filed with the county to be fully enforceable. That is my understanding for Illinois. grain of salt here.

Good luck, I am looking for the same but in a warmer climate than the midwest.

Thanks Bill-I'd love a warmer climate too! Or somewhere not as dreary as Michigan in the winter. My other option is Hicks airfield in Dallas, TX.

My airline also had a base there so I wouldn't be opposed to moving. Not sure I'd like the TX climate though. Also, the brand new hangar home at Hicks is pretty expensive and I believe overpriced.

If you have not looked at 45G yet it is a bit closer for you. I hangered there a couple years and they have an active EAA chapter IIRC.
http://www.brightonairport.org/

I've been on 45G for about 6 months now, but I'm currently without a fly able airplane, so I can't really say what it's like to fly out of here. I haven't heard of Horizon Lakes, but I'll be happy to ask the locals what they know about it.

I will have to say that Brighton seems to be what an airpark should be. We are solely owned by the owners of the homes and hangars on the field, the Brighton Airport Association. Owning a share of the airport and paying the $475 annual maintenance fee allows you to keep and fly an airplane our of the airport. The airport is public use, so anyone can use the airport without special permission. It is well maintained by volunteers, and this past winter it was always plowed before the county got around to plowing the streets.

The airport is fairly active; we do have an active EAA chapter on the field, and an ongoing Build-a-Plane RV-12. I haven't counted, but I estimate 15-20 homes on the airport, and at least a hundred privately owned hangars. My house is 16 years old and was one of the last homes built on the airport. There are 12 acres along the runway just north of me owned by one of our members, and I believe he has plans to ultimately develop more lots. Otherwise, you just have to keep an eye out for an existing home coming up for sale.

Mark, you are welcome to fly in any time and I'll be happy to show you around. We have a breakfast every Saturday morning at 8:30 at the clubhouse on the north end of the field. I'm out of town now, but I'll be back Friday. I'm in the RV White Pages.

I hear rumors that there a house across the runway from me coming up for sale. If anyone is interested, I'll verify the rumor and get details and contact info.

Interesting that this thread is about Prices Airport in Fenton. After moving back to MI from CA, 9G2 was (and still is) one of my frequent destinations during liesurely drives or rides. I'd love to be located there... but my wife won't go for it, so I'll probably end up at PTK when my aircraft is done. I also wondered about the status, since it's appeared to be unfinished for more than a decade now. But that is common in MI because of the economic downturn, which is a trend that is finally turning around. Many previously stalled or abandoned housing projects are coming back to life now, and I expect the same to happen at Prices. I've heard good things about it, and I know one of the partners that started the airpark has a good rep, but don't know much else at this point.

Back