What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dual screen room on panel

RVmaniac

I'm New Here
Looking at the panel standoff's it doesnt look like it is possible to mount two 10" screens next to each other. Every panel for the 14 I've seen to date confirms this, and instead uses the center area for the radio stack. Anyone know if it would be possible to remove or shorten the center standoff area to make room for twin G3X Touch screens next to each other without compromising integrity?

Check out Tim's site . MyRV14.com

Seen it, too small though :) Want G3x touch or SkyView touch only, adjacent to each other so both screens are actually useful, instead of copilot centered screen. I'm guessing it's not possible or else he would have done that.

Seen it, too small though :) Want G3x touch or SkyView touch only, adjacent to each other so both screens are actually useful, instead of copilot centered screen. I'm guessing it's not possible or else he would have done that.

Part of the issue is flying IFR with a GPS navigator. Putting two large screens side by side pushes that gps way to the right, making it harder to use, and possibly out of the field of view area required by the tso.

The design of the panel and support structure was purposely done with the expectation that people would want some latitude in where the support structure is located.
As long as the panel it self is sufficiently supported, moving the location of the ribs should not be a problem. My recommendation would be to space the screens far enough apart that would allow placing a rib between them.

If you ever have any doubt as to what is possible, the below is an RV-6 panel with THREE 10" SkyViews AND an IFR navigator. Given the extra width of a 14, you could do this and more:
IMG_0322s.jpg

You can even fit two in an RV-8:

m9pq.jpg

The design of the panel and support structure was purposely done with the expectation that people would want some latitude in where the support structure is located.
As long as the panel it self is sufficiently supported, moving the location of the ribs should not be a problem. My recommendation would be to space the screens far enough apart that would allow placing a rib between them.

I think that may be partially true, but it would have been far better to NOT cut the hole in the sub-panel and let the builder do that. Then you are correct, it would be easy to move the 2 center aft ribs laterally and position them where needed. Or, offer the subpanel without the hole as an option.

I think that may be partially true, but it would have been far better to NOT cut the hole in the sub-panel and let the builder do that. Then you are correct, it would be easy to move the 2 center aft ribs laterally and position them where needed. Or, offer the subpanel without the hole as an option.

Tim,
The design was definitely tailored towards the easy to install avionics packages that will be available, but where possible, the door was left open for changes that someone might want to make. The thought was that anyone (such as your self) that wanted to deviate would have the experience and abilities to make the required modifications.

Back