What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lycoming Mechanical RPM cap?

Reboot

Can anyone help me find a cap for the old mechanical rpm cable connection on the back of the engine? I installed my GEA24 for my G3X touch last week and removed the old mechanical gauge. I assume there is a cap for the connection on the engine side.

I called aircraft spruce and the person I talked to said they needed a part number. They were not very helpful. To Mel's advice I could cut the cable and use one of the ends. I would hate to destroy the cable for that thou. I'm sure someone would need or like to have the cable.

Thank you. Help searching the correct name.

IE RC-1 CAP TACH DRIVE CAP $6.00
http://vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin/store.cgi?ident=1498464164-132-612&browse=ei&product=ei-tach
EI_RC-1.jpg

Last edited:
We also sell a nice aluminum and knurled tach cap. It's the same cap we supply with all of our R-1 tachometers.

Lycoming cap

You think Andair/Spruce is priceeeee????
Call Lycoming for the genuine article.
$80 +
I was very pleased with the Andair thru Spruce.
Anyone need a mechanical tach cable???

I would be 3 times happier with the $6 Van's cap.

Last edited:
Mel,
I am building a 360 and was wondering about the following:

Do I have to install the rod that transfers the RPM to the cable? I would like to remove that rod and cap the hole on the accessory case close using the Andair cap.

I was told that the rod must be installed to seal the hole and reduce the oil leaking.

Thank you.

Tach shaft

I left mine out on a rebuild, seem wasteful to spend a couple hundred bucks on something that I wasn’t going to use, but I was getting a lot of oil out the crankcase breather, so to avoid removing the rear case and installing the tach shaft I put an anti splat oil separator on the crankcase vent and that solved the problem, I still spent the money anyway!

Keith Rhea RV7
2019 dues paid

Last edited:
I don't understand what you are saying.

You added an oil separator to the crankcase breather or to the tach port?

Anyone else have experience with this?

Thanks.

Tach shaft

I added an oil separator on the crankcase vent because apparently if you leave the tach shaft and hardware out of a two piece camshaft you might increase the amount of oil mist out the crankcase vent.

Keith Rhea
RV7
2019 dues paid

I left mine out on a rebuild, seem wasteful to spend a couple hundred bucks on something that I wasn?t going to use, but I was getting a lot of oil out the crankcase breather, so to avoid removing the rear case and installing the tach shaft I put an anti splat oil separator on the crankcase vent and that solved the problem, I still spent the money anyway!

Keith Rhea RV7
2019 dues paid

A friend left that shaft out on his O-360 and it cost him a rebuild.

Like you found out, that shaft keeps the oil from squirting right out the breather hose. He wasn't so lucky. He did install it, when he rebuilt his new engine.

Back