VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-11-2011, 09:26 PM

Default Flying Phase 1 at Different Airports?

now a question: does anyone know how likely a request to do some of the 40-hour Phase I testing from a different airport than originallly approved, in a different state? would it require permission from a different FSDO? or could the original inspection allow me to say fly the airplane 20 hours from an airport in (any state), ferry it legally to another airport in (another state), and finish the Phase I testing there?

also, is there a better place for this thread? i am kind of new at posting vs just lurking and reading. don o.

{ed: I moved this quesiton to it's own thread to take it out of someone else's announcement thread}

Last edited by Ironflight : 08-12-2011 at 06:18 AM.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:04 AM

Default I can be done, BUT.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by don.olandese View Post
now a question: does anyone know how likely a request to do some of the 40-hour Phase I testing from a different airport than originallly approved, in a different state? would it require permission from a different FSDO? or could the original inspection allow me to say fly the airplane 20 hours from an airport in (any state), ferry it legally to another airport in (another state), and finish the Phase I testing there?
It depends on how far apart the airports are. It does require cooperation of both FSDOs. I have done it, but it is dependent on several factors.
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
North Texas (8TA5)
RV-6 Flying since 1993, 172hp O-320, 3-Blade Catto (since 2003)
Legend Cub purchased 12/2017
FRIEND of the RV-1
Eagle's Nest Mentor
Recipient of Wright Brothers "Master Pilot" Award
Old 08-30-2011, 09:36 AM

Default we'll find out next week!

i'll spring it on the initial FSDO rep and if he is encouraging we'll involve another FSDO to see if they might be amenable. i know it can be done, but the requirements may be too burdensome: i.e., do we have to disassemble the aircraft to transport it, and/or have it reinspected...thanks for your tidbit tho, it gives hope. don o.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:26 AM

Default Again.....

It depends on how far apart the airports are. If they are within a reasonable distance and you can make the flight over non-congested terrain, you may be able to get it approved.

If the new airport is outside the original flight test area, you will need to get your operating limitations amended.

A new inspection should not be required.

Good Luck!
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
North Texas (8TA5)
RV-6 Flying since 1993, 172hp O-320, 3-Blade Catto (since 2003)
Legend Cub purchased 12/2017
FRIEND of the RV-1
Eagle's Nest Mentor
Recipient of Wright Brothers "Master Pilot" Award
Old 08-30-2011, 12:16 PM

Sent PM. Need to look at Zuehl.
Old 06-13-2018, 04:50 PM

I'm trying to track down a Tommy Thompson who apparently works on Vans aircraft on Zuehl field. Can anyone help me? Thanks!
Old 06-14-2018, 05:11 AM
Super Moderator

Default Sometimes

I have done this for some builders who wanted to move the aircraft during phase I. Basically, I put it in the Operating Limitations, that after so many hours and so many landings it could be moved by avoiding lfight across congested areas.
When the propsed flight does cross different FSDO areas of responsibility, some are amenable and some are not, primarily due to the routes.
Give both of them a call and there's a good chance they will agree by amending the limitations and specifying the routing, so propose a route that will keep you clear of congested areas.

Vic

Built RV-4, RV-6, 2-RV-10's, RV-7A, RV-8, Prescott Pusher, Kitfox Model II, Kitfox Speedster, Kitfox 7 Super Sport, Just Superstol, DAR, A&P/IA, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor, CFII-ASMEL/ASES
EAA Homebuilt Council Chair/member EAA BOD
Van's East Coast Representative
www.Baselegaviation.com