VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 06-13-2018, 10:55 AM

As an avionics tech in the Navy, I was taught to solder connectors with fixed style pins that had cups specifically designed to be soldered. After soldering, we "Potted" them with proseal. They went in high corrosion areas, like wheel wells. It was a major PITA to do any work on those connectors.

For the machined pins and sockets, designed to be inserted and extracted from the connector, we always crimped, using specially designed tools for this purpose. Those pins don't have the cup style designed for easy soldering. You can solder them, but why would you?
Old 06-13-2018, 11:12 AM

I have noticed with Tefzel, it is difficult to tell if solder has wicked up the insulation compared to less stiff insulation material. Just an observation.

RV6 - Builder/Flying
Bucker Jungmann
Fiat G.46 -(restoration in progress, if I have enough life left in me)
RV1 - Proud Pilot.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJay View Post
I have noticed with Tefzel, it is difficult to tell if solder has wicked up the insulation compared to less stiff insulation material. Just an observation.
Unless you go nuts with the heat, the solder usually only wicks up less than 1/2" and usually less. The end of the connector shell is at least 1" back and it prevents that 1" or so of wire from moving or flexing at the joint, soldered or crimped.

Larry

Last edited by lr172 : 06-13-2018 at 11:33 AM.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJay View Post
And that matters because...? (Really analyse the full installation of the terminal and wire before answering.)
Old 06-13-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv7charlie View Post
And that matters because...? (Really analyse the full installation of the terminal and wire before answering.)
Just an observation. Larry covered it for this particular application.

Regardless, back in my Electronics Tech days I built a lot of high density harnesses. Joints that wicked where rejected. Good practice is still good practice and I don’t accept poor joints in my own work but you can certainly argue supporting the joint trumps that.
Wick to your hearts content....

RV6 - Builder/Flying
Bucker Jungmann
Fiat G.46 -(restoration in progress, if I have enough life left in me)
RV1 - Proud Pilot.

Last edited by JonJay : 06-13-2018 at 03:23 PM.
Old 06-13-2018, 02:05 PM

Way back in the Stone Age when I went through DOD solder school for an acceptable solder joint, solder was not allowed to wick up under wire insulation at all. We has little heat sink clips (like alligator clips without the teeth) that we clipped just behind the pin. We actually had to leave about an eighth inch of bare wire showing behind the pin so the inspector could verify solder had not wicked up under the insulation. The reason was if solder wicked under the insulation then the “stiff” to “flexible” transition was hidden from view. This transition from stiff to flexible was where the wire would inevitably break. When troubleshooting if it broke right behind the pin you could see the break if it broke under the insulation troubleshooting got a lot more interesting....
Old 06-13-2018, 02:31 PM

Of course, the *probability* of breaking at all went up by several hundred percent because there was no strain relief protecting the stress riser at the joint, but you could certainly see the failures more easily...

;-)
Old 06-13-2018, 03:16 PM

Default Crimp

Crimp everything. Just finished all my wiring. I crimped everything because crimping actually forms a cold weld. Works great. Oh I did have to solder the ELT plug because of the way it was made.

PS, I also repair AV cables which are all soldered and the joints are always breaking.
Airworthiness Certification Complete
First Flight in January 2018
Anacortes, WA
www.mykitlog.com/sglynn
Old 06-13-2018, 07:16 PM

I've seen plenty of broken soldered ends on pins. When you solder the wire in the pin it makes a solid peak to the flexible wire strands. Enough vibration and the strands will all break. Crimping allows some movement in the connector. The problem with some crimping is it's not done right and the wire can pull out of the hole. A good practice is to pull the wire a little after the crimp to make sure it's tight.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:23 PM

Yes. When soldering, the solder wicks up the stranded wire and causes a weak point where the solder ends. I've seen a lot of wires break at at that point.