VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 06-10-2018, 01:13 PM

Default Exhaust Exit

Vetterman Crossover Exhaust on an 0320 with a 0360 scoop. In the following 3 pictures you can see the exhaust tips point towards one another. The closer the tips point towards one another the greater clearance I have at the exit from cowling. The picture with the tips furthest apart have about 1/2 inch clearance to the cowling at the exit.

I was thinking the exhaust would point more straight back. Am I missing something or does this look correct?

I appreciate the input.

Currently flying X-Air LSA and Powered Parachute
Dues Paid 10/2017
Old 06-10-2018, 01:44 PM

Default Exhaust Exit

I have the same cowl on my 2004 RV7 with an IO-360. Although the pipes do point towards each other somewhat, they are much more straight back than yours appear. I have the Vetterman crossover exhaust and can adjust the outlets a little in the swivel joints.
Old 06-10-2018, 03:24 PM

Your cockpit will be a lot quieter and the belly will be a lot cleaner if you put down-turns on those pipes.
Old 06-10-2018, 06:27 PM

It would seem obvious that you are using the wrong cowling for your installation. If changing to an O320 cowling is not feasible, then you will need to modify (enlarge) the lower cowling outlet to allow sufficient clearance above and below your pipes. Yes, turndowns will significantly reduce cockpit noise and vibration.
RV7 #72018 N767T first flight 11/21/2017 150+ hrs.
IO-360M1B MT 3 blade, Dual AFS 5600.
1941 J3 Cub
2018 dues paid.

Last edited by Jpm757 : 06-10-2018 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 06-10-2018, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpm757 View Post
It would seem obvious that you are using the wrong cowling for your installation. If changing to an O320 cowling is not feasible, then you will need to modify (enlarge) the lower cowling outlet to allow sufficient clearance above and below your pipes. Yes, turndowns will significantly reduce cockpit noise and vibration.
With the amount of normal movement the pipes have, I'd be concerned that they'd contact the bottom of the firewall - they look pretty close there. The pipes on my -6A naturally point back and down - they don't point towards each other at all. It doesn't look as though that is possible with the cowl as shown however. Good news though is that it's fiberglass, which means it can be changed without a lot of drama :-)
Old 06-11-2018, 08:03 AM

Default pipes

First, I can't tell from the pictures if your cowl is cut parallel to the firewall, any trimming in that direction will increase pipe clearance as the pipes are angled.

Second, rotating the pipes at the ball joints will show you different clearances. It is a delicate balance of inner cowl clearance and exit clearance. Seems Vetterman has an "angle" they are designed to be at. So once you rotate to acheive the angle you will be close.

Don't feel alone with this issue, I have worked with several cowl setups and worked and worked to achieve alignment, even calling Clint at Vetterman for help, which he gladly gave me.
D100-KMD150-660-TT ADI2- AS air/oil seperator. Vetterman exhaust with turndown tips.
Louisa, Virginia KLKU N94TB
Old 06-11-2018, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Martin View Post
First, I can't tell from the pictures if your cowl is cut parallel to the firewall, any trimming in that direction will increase pipe clearance as the pipes are angled.

Second, rotating the pipes at the ball joints will show you different clearances. It is a delicate balance of inner cowl clearance and exit clearance. Seems Vetterman has an "angle" they are designed to be at. So once you rotate to acheive the angle you will be close.

Don't feel alone with this issue, I have worked with several cowl setups and worked and worked to achieve alignment, even calling Clint at Vetterman for help, which he gladly gave me.
Here is what my 320 looks like. As Bob Martin said, rotate pipe in ball joint and trim back the bottom of the cowl. Another post talked about the angle down turn of the pipes to lower noise. Yes it does help a lot. Purchased exhaust system direct from Vetterman and asked for the turn downs. They use to sell a bolt on turn down that I asked for when I ordered and they offered the built in turn downs for less money than the bolt on parts.

They are NOT perfect parallel to each other but do not point to each other as much as yours.
3,300+ hours
Where is N157GS
Building RV-8 S/N: 80012

To most people, the sky is the limit.
To those who love aviation, the sky is home.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:46 AM

Here's how I did mine. The crossover exhaust was made by Custom Aircraft Parts in El Cajon, CA and I've been very happy with it. There's about 1" of clearance top and bottom. Those down-turns could be oriented however I wanted then locked into place.

Old 06-11-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopercod View Post
Here's how I did mine. The crossover exhaust was made by Custom Aircraft Parts in El Cajon, CA and I've been very happy with it. There's about 1" of clearance top and bottom. Those down-turns could be oriented however I wanted then locked into place.

Any ideas where you can get the add on turn downs that fit the Vetterman exhaust pipes?
Old 06-11-2018, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirlegin View Post
Any ideas where you can get the add on turn downs that fit the Vetterman exhaust pipes?
I would contact Vetterman.