VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 06-08-2018, 01:21 PM

Default FS Garmin GTX330 and GRT Horizon WS MFD

Garmin GTX330 is non-ES, but can be updated. Includes tray and yellow tag - asking $900.

Grand Rapids Technologies Horizon WS MFD has a 4.5" by 6.25" screen, dimensions here: http://grtavionics.com/media/WS-Standard-Bezel-1.pdf. I upgraded to the HX. $500

Here is the WS showing engine info. https://ibb.co/e9YXV8
Old 06-08-2018, 03:25 PM

I also have the WS system and have thought about upgrading to the HX. How much did you have to increase the hole size. What about wiring changes?
Old 06-08-2018, 03:34 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankerpilot75 View Post
I also have the WS system and have thought about upgrading to the HX. How much did you have to increase the hole size. What about wiring changes?
I did the same upgrade, went to 8.4" screens so had to cut a new panel.

But, good news is the wiring was good to go with one exception. The add on module GPS on the WS was hard wired to a different serial input. With the external GPS that is required it hooks to a different serial (cant remember which one) so all that I had to do was install one wire in the d-sub connector, and change one input in the program.

Way better screen in every aspect.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 06-08-2018, 09:21 PM

Thanks Mike for your insight. However, my existing panel was professionally built by Aerotronics in 2008 and it’s something right now I really don’t want to replace. I guess if I ever upgrade my WS EFIS systems it’ll have to be to the Horizon EX - but I really prefer the HX. It just doesn’t fit my space.

I hope the seller gets his equipment sold. Other than synthetic vision I think these older WS units are still quite solid. The 330 unit can be upgraded to ES by Garmin but the buyer might also want to consider the ADS-B out unit that GRT sells as an alternative to upgrading the 330.

I have the Garmin 335 with WAAS gps for “out” (since my 430s are non-WAAS) and use the Stratux,sold through Open Source Solutions, for ADS-B “in.” That unit feeds my iPad and is also hardwired to my lower WS unit. That way I get traffic on both my iPad and WS unit. What I really like is the WS unit will display a “traffic box” for near traffic. Not bad for 2008 technology!

Like my old 330 unit, the 335 also says “traffic” through my audio panel. So I normally get both MFD and verbal advisories.
Old 06-09-2018, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankerpilot75 View Post
The cutout needed to be about 1/2" taller and the wiring was plug and play. I had an avionics shop do the work along with some other stuff, but they said it couldn't have been any easier.
Old 06-09-2018, 05:55 PM

Thanks for your insight.