VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics


Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11  
Old 06-02-2018, 09:27 PM
RFSchaller RFSchaller is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 2,300
Default

A big concern out here in the AZ summer not leaving the jumper battery in direct sunlight where it can overheat. I carry one in my car and it has started me twice when the main battery gave up the ghost. It’s got a remarkable energy density.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-03-2018, 03:59 AM
BigJohn BigJohn is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Gloversville, NY
Posts: 1,534
Default

OK, Jim thats a nicely packed emergency kit. My question is, where do you clamp the battery pack cables for that emergency start? If its to the battery itself the top cowl has to be off, and I fail to see how it can be replaced with the motor running. Or, have you installed an external heavy duty connector for this purpose?
__________________
John Peck, CFII, A&P, EAA Tech Counselor, Flight Advisor.
RV-12 N37JP 120176 Flying since 2012.
VAF paid through 10/2018. Best bargain in town.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-03-2018, 04:27 AM
Piper J3's Avatar
Piper J3 Piper J3 is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Hinckley, Ohio
Posts: 1,016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosepileit View Post
Assuming the cells inside are cylinders like common 18650s, the main hazard is crushing them verically in shipping type handling. The negative contact is everything but the top and the insulator between the top and the balance of the shell case.

Cells can be dumb and managed by the device like a laptip battery or each cell can have a control chip.

Recharge it outside the plane away from easy igniteables just in case.

Easy to google if interested.

My concern in upping cable size is though more efficient, the smaller cable may be done on purpose to limit current. I would make sure the unit does not overheat using the larger cables. If 10 feet of 8 gauge acts like the thinner, shorter OEM cable, nice flexibility added.
I don't think this pack uses cylindrical cells. Pretty sure pouch form factor is used. See pic below...
-
__________________
-
Jim Stricker
Hinckley, Ohio
EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2004
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC Jul 2012 - Bought Flying Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 391

LSRM-A Certificate 2016
Special Thanks to EJ Trucks
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-03-2018, 04:49 AM
Piper J3's Avatar
Piper J3 Piper J3 is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Hinckley, Ohio
Posts: 1,016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
OK, Jim thats a nicely packed emergency kit. My question is, where do you clamp the battery pack cables for that emergency start? If its to the battery itself the top cowl has to be off, and I fail to see how it can be replaced with the motor running. Or, have you installed an external heavy duty connector for this purpose?
Good catch... I haven't tried actual connection to the PC680 through the oil access door. My thinking was to have rather small clamps on the jumper cable for this purpose. Looks like next step is a trip out to the hanger. I have a small pigtail installed now for trickle charger. Might need to replace with something more substantial like this Battery Quick Connector Kit rated at 175A.
-
__________________
-
Jim Stricker
Hinckley, Ohio
EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2004
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC Jul 2012 - Bought Flying Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 391

LSRM-A Certificate 2016
Special Thanks to EJ Trucks
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-03-2018, 09:00 AM
DHeal DHeal is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Windsor, California
Posts: 714
Default

I've thought about carrying one of those little lithium 12-volt battery packs, but I don't have any real world knowledge as to whether or not they would be useful starting up a 912.

Instead, I carry in my emergency repair kit an 18-inch long piece of battery cable with a battery terminal-sized ring connector swaged on one end and and inch of bare wire strands exposed on the other end. If faced with a dead battery while on a trip, my plan is to attach this cable to my positive battery terminal, extend the bare end out through the open oil access door, hook-up a jumper battery and start the engine. Once started, I will run the engine until it is warmed-up, shut the engine down and, hopefully, the aircraft battery will have a sufficient charge to restart the engine on its own. Alternatively, I might keep the engine running, disconnect the jumper battery, insulate the bare end of the installed cable with a heavy-duty "acorn" and secure the cable inside the engine compartment -- with great caution I might add! Anyways, that's my "plan".
__________________
David Heal - Windsor, CA (near Santa Rosa)
EAA #23982 - EAA Technical Counselor and Flight Advisor; CFI - A&I
RV-12 E-LSA #120496 (SV w/ AP and ADS-B) - N124DH flying since March 2014 - 670+ hours (as of Sept 2018)!
VAF donation through June 2019.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-04-2018, 10:55 AM
EarthX Lithium EarthX Lithium is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Windsor, CO
Posts: 208
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper J3 View Post
Chemistry is similar as EarthX
Just a quick note here, the Lithium Polymer used in this jump pack is not the same as lithium iron phosphate chemistry that EarthX uses. They are different on many levels but here is a quick video that describes how and why they are different. And just another side note, we have developed and been selling a quick connect cable for the exact type situation for years and most will connect the cable to their battery, run it in through the oil door for a convenient quick jump if necessary.

https://earthxbatteries.com/shop/earthx-jump-pack
https://earthxbatteries.com/shop/ear...-connect-cable
__________________
Fly Lightly,

Kathy
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-04-2018, 11:13 AM
larrynew's Avatar
larrynew larrynew is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: In New Braunfels, ist das Leben schön!
Posts: 779
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper J3 View Post
...Might need to replace with something more substantial like this Battery Quick Connector Kit rated at 175A.
-
Exactly what I did. Accessible through the oil door. Pigtail with clamps can be removed from the cockpit.
__________________
Larry New
RV-7A - Flying 600+ hrs
48 States in 7 Days
VAF Paid - Annual Autodraft

Last edited by larrynew : 06-04-2018 at 12:41 PM. Reason: schpelling
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-04-2018, 06:25 PM
AirHound AirHound is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: OFallon IL now, everywhere before
Posts: 211
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHeal View Post
I've thought about carrying one of those little lithium 12-volt battery packs, but I don't have any real world knowledge as to whether or not they would be useful starting up a 912.

Instead, I carry in my emergency repair kit an 18-inch long piece of battery cable with a battery terminal-sized ring connector swaged on one end and and inch of bare wire strands exposed on the other end. If faced with a dead battery while on a trip, my plan is to attach this cable to my positive battery terminal, extend the bare end out through the open oil access door, hook-up a jumper battery and start the engine. Once started, I will run the engine until it is warmed-up, shut the engine down and, hopefully, the aircraft battery will have a sufficient charge to restart the engine on its own. Alternatively, I might keep the engine running, disconnect the jumper battery, insulate the bare end of the installed cable with a heavy-duty "acorn" and secure the cable inside the engine compartment -- with great caution I might add! Anyways, that's my "plan".
How about insulating it and leave it connected/secured, tucked away?
__________________
Doug
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-04-2018, 06:59 PM
DHeal DHeal is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Windsor, California
Posts: 714
Default

Doug -- Sure you can do that. I just didn't want an extra wire in there. In 640 hours I haven't needed to jump the PC-680 so an "emergency jump" fix serves me OK. A plug-in mini-jumper connection does sound enticing however. -- David
__________________
David Heal - Windsor, CA (near Santa Rosa)
EAA #23982 - EAA Technical Counselor and Flight Advisor; CFI - A&I
RV-12 E-LSA #120496 (SV w/ AP and ADS-B) - N124DH flying since March 2014 - 670+ hours (as of Sept 2018)!
VAF donation through June 2019.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-04-2018, 07:14 PM
RFSchaller RFSchaller is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 2,300
Default

My thought is to run a cable from the positive battery terminal through the firewall and install a post on the tunnel under the instrument panel that I can clip the alligator clamp and connect the negative clamp to the airframe. The advantage is that jumping can be done without assistance or removing the upper cowling. My car has a similar setup because the battery is under the backseat floorboard.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:34 PM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.