VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 05-31-2018, 06:15 PM

Default Placards

Folks: I know I must have placarding for controls, knobs, switches, etc on my panel but to what extent must the placards say?

Is there a one stop ref that says how much info is needed to be displayed?

I've been looking for docs/FARs, part whatever for some guidance but can't seem to find what I looking for.

Thanks,

Contributing annually since January 2002
Old 05-31-2018, 07:07 PM

There is no "standard" for placards in your experimental aircraft, however my DAR required that I placard the cockpit appropriately as to allow an "unfamiliar" pilot the ability to safely operate the aircraft. Including, but not necessarilly limited to powerplant controls, electrical, engine operating limitations, fuel system, airspeed limitations, and canopy operation (inside & out).
Also, any newly certified aircraft will need the new revised passenger warning placard.
RV7 #72018 N767T first flight 11/21/2017 100+hrs.
IO-360M1B MT 3 blade, Dual AFS 5600.
2018 dues paid.

Last edited by Jpm757 : 05-31-2018 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 05-31-2018, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpm757 View Post
There is no "standard" for placards in your experimental aircraft, however my DAR required that I placard the cockpit appropriately as to allow an "unfamiliar" pilot the ability to safely operate the aircraft. Including, but not necessarilly limited to powerplant controls, electrical, engine operating limitations, fuel system, airspeed limitations, and canopy operation (inside & out).
Also, any newly certified aircraft will need the new revised passenger warning placard.
Depends on your interpretation of FAR 91 and FAA Order 8130.2J
The EAA has a pretty good definition.....

https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/aviation-...acards-numbers

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 06-01-2018, 04:32 AM

Look at your controls (switches, knobs, levers, etc). If you would have to explain a control usage to another pilot that was to fly the craft, that control needs labeling for what it is and which direction to move it to activate it.

In my mind, that basically means ALL controls (with exception of stick and rudder pedals) are marked for function and direction of activation (IE "ON", "IN", "PULL" etc)

People have perished because of poorly marked controls.
Unpainted, polished....kinda'
My RV Construction Page

Last edited by rzbill : 06-01-2018 at 04:38 AM.
Old 06-01-2018, 08:03 AM

I thought that I have done a pretty good job at the placards on my build. In this post I saw canopy handle. I have a slider and I was wondering how others addressed this. Do not recall ever seeing a placard on the overhead handle. What about the handle on the outside?
Victoria, TX
2018 Dues Gladly Paid
Old 06-01-2018, 01:47 PM

Hello Steven,

When I am asked by an applicant how to approach placarding, I explain it thusly:

Sit in the airplane and pretend that you've never been in it before. You should be able to look at every switch and control and know what system or item it controls, and what happens when you push/pull/turn it. For example, electrical switches should be labeled as to what they control, and which way is off and/or on. Push-pull controls should be labeled as to what they control and what pushing or pulling does ("cabin heat - pull on", "Mixture - Pull Lean", etc.) A person should be able to sit at the controls and be able to understand what each switch and knob does by reading the placards.

Hope this helps!

Joe