VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 05-31-2018, 03:31 PM

Default FWF Kit Question: things to delete

I plan to purchase the FWF kit and would like to know if there are things to delete from the kit that would be better to purchase separate. I am going with the Aircraft Specialty hoses when I figure out the engine, mags, and fuel servo. Anything else?

Thanks
ken

RV-14 (serial number 140073)
N73XP (at least that # reserved now)
Old 05-31-2018, 05:52 PM

Ken i went with a few different items:

- TS Flightline/Aircraft Specialty hoses as you mentioned
- Because I installed a back up pad mounted alternator I purchased both from B&C along with the primary and back up regulators
- I deleted the two heater vent cables in favor of slightly thicker ones to hopefully alleviate the heat seeping issue discussed in another thread
- I wish I had deleted the fuel flow “red cube” as the Garmin engine sensor kit comes with one
- I should have also deleted the engine cable bracket kit due to my Airflow Performance fuel injection which routes them differently
- Don’t delete the firesleeve even though you are buying different hoses, you need it for the pass through fittings.

Tom
RV14A #140083
Wings, empennage, fuselage and finish slow builds completed. Avionics Installed.
FWF in progress
2017 Donation

Last edited by Tom023 : 05-31-2018 at 05:56 PM.
Old 05-31-2018, 06:57 PM

Tom brings up a great point....

He is our first customer that is doing a back up pad mounted alternator on the RV-14. Even though our FWF hose package did fit with the backup pad mounted alternator, we worked with him to slightly modify the oil lines in order to give better clearance on the pad mounted backup unit.

Our FWF package ordering page now has an additional drop down option asking if you are utilizing a backup alternator so we can ensure the kit fits your configuration perfectly.

Thanks to Tom for helping us with this additional configuration.

Happy Building, and thank you to all of you who have allowed us to earn your business.

Steve

aircraftspecialty@gmail.com

www.aircraftspecialty.com
Old 06-01-2018, 06:24 AM

Hoses if you go with Aircraft Specialty, exhaust if you go with Vetterman, spinner if you go with alternate prop/spinner than stock. And as mentioned you can delete the fuel flow red cube if you go Garmin.

Leesburg, VA
RV-14A kit # 140243
VAF 2017 and 2018 paid
www.mykitlog.com/chrismoon/
Old 06-01-2018, 06:58 AM

You might want to buy cables for throttle/prop/mixture that can handle high temps better or as in my case, other cable lenght for using the RV10 throttle quadrant.

Not deletions but I found myself mishandling some cotter pins and had to buy some replacements. Unless you have a close by supplier I suggest ordering some extra 132 cotter pins.... As this might be your last order from Vans it can be worth considering buing some other hardware as well.
RV-14 kit #140138
I have entered the 90% done, 90% left to do zone
Http://magnusrv.blogspot.se
Old 06-01-2018, 07:22 AM

As I went through this decision process, the list of stuff I would get elsewhere translated to not getting the FWF kit. Examples:
- B&C alternator
- Airflow Systems oil cooler
- PCU 5000X governor
- Different master solenoids and different mounting locations (so the kit wiring would be all wrong)
- Hoses
- Cable brackets
- Cabin heat box

Iíll still buy some elements from Vanís, but these will be alicarte.

Carl
Old 06-02-2018, 06:47 AM

I talk with SteinAir and the reduce can be left out of the garmin package. So it can be left out of the Van's kit or the garmin kit.

RV-14 (serial number 140073)
N73XP (at least that # reserved now)