Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 05-30-2018, 06:10 PM

Default 82 degree countersink

Hi again all,

I'm working on E-616PP, the trim cover attach plate on the LH elevator. I'm looking to countersink the holes for the AN507-6R6 screws that attach to the K1100-06 platenuts, and I'm a bit confused as to what bit to use.

The spec I found for the AN507-6R6 lists its head shape as 82 degrees. From what I gather, the hole size is a #28 (I don't have a #28 bit, but that seems to be the implied hole size for this screw). I think all my countersinks that came with the Isham kit are 100 degrees.

Do I need to buy another countersink? If so, where do I get one? I see an 82 degree countersink at Cleaveland, but the pilot appears to be a #33, so I'm afraid it will wander...is there a secret to this, or am I making it too complicated as usual?
Old 05-30-2018, 06:12 PM

Corollary: Is there a master reference for all these different screw sizes and specs that I'm missing? It's driving me crazy that there's a #8, a #10, and then an AN507. Can somebody point me to a chart that I can hang on the wall that will tell me bit size, countersink angle, etc. without having to Google?
Old 05-30-2018, 06:27 PM

In the Cleaveland aircraft tool catalogue there is a centerfold that has all this and more summarized. Super useful.
Tom
Old 05-30-2018, 06:42 PM

The AN507 is a 100 degree countersink. You almost never see 82 degree countersink hardware on aircraft.

http://www.everyspec.com/MS-Specs/MS...MS24693K_7909/
Old 05-30-2018, 06:50 PM

You should also get yourself a copy of AC_43.13-1B. It's available from the FAA website for free and covers everything you could imagine in this regard.
Tom.
Old 05-30-2018, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartingt View Post
The AN507 is a 100 degree countersink. You almost never see 82 degree countersink hardware on aircraft.

http://www.everyspec.com/MS-Specs/MS...MS24693K_7909/
I must have fat-fingered the search on my phone earlier. I swear I came up with several references that said 82 degrees, but now when I search I keep coming up with 100 degrees. Not sure what I searched for before, but am relieved to not have to wait for another countersink bit...
Old 05-30-2018, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgmillso View Post
You should also get yourself a copy of AC_43.13-1B. It's available from the FAA website for free and covers everything you could imagine in this regard.
Tom.
I've got a copy, but at 646 pages it sometimes get overwhelming to find what I'm looking for, particularly for something simple like this. I'll have to see if I can get a Cleaveland catalog shipped out to me with the fold-out...