- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-8/8A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2018, 02:43 PM

Default RV8 Transition training in a Super Decathlon

Can anyone comment on how tail wheel training in a Super Decathlon prepared them for flying an RV8? Any help is apprecited!
Old 05-24-2018, 02:59 PM

I did my tailwheel endorsement training in a super decathlon (about 5 hrs) and then did some actual RV-8 training (also about 5 hours) prior to my first RV-8 solo flight.

The former was great for fundamentals, but you really need time in type to get a good feel for the RV overall. The decathlon requires large control movements at slow speed, the RV not so much.

The first takeoff in the RV will catch your attention. My first few landings were dicey, and the first few crosswinds landings especially so. Landing speed is a lot faster.

You also have to really pay attention to bank angle in the pattern and don't get slow and sloppy, or it won't forgive you.

Good practice/experience overall, any tailwheel time is a good thing!
Old 05-24-2018, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctennis View Post
I did my tailwheel endorsement training in a super decathlon (about 5 hrs) and then did some actual RV-8 training (also about 5 hours) prior to my first RV-8 solo flight.

The former was great for fundamentals, but you really need time in type to get a good feel for the RV overall. The decathlon requires large control movements at slow speed, the RV not so much.

The first takeoff in the RV will catch your attention. My first few landings were dicey, and the first few crosswinds landings especially so. Landing speed is a lot faster.

You also have to really pay attention to bank angle in the pattern and don't get slow and sloppy, or it won't forgive you.

Good practice/experience overall, any tailwheel time is a good thing!
Thanks for the reply!
Unfortunately, it sounds like RV8 specific training requires a trip to Texas. I’ve got a fair bit of experience overall, but just a few tail wheel flights under my belt. I feel comfortable flying the Super D, Just wondering if that experience will translate to the 8.
Old 05-24-2018, 05:10 PM

I had time in a super decathlon prior to taking transition training. The RV transition training was definitely different and definitely valuable.
Old 05-24-2018, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithflys23 View Post
Thanks for the reply!
Unfortunately, it sounds like RV8 specific training requires a trip to Texas. I’ve got a fair bit of experience overall, but just a few tail wheel flights under my belt. I feel comfortable flying the Super D, Just wondering if that experience will translate to the 8.
Transition training in an RV-6 or RV-7 will be transferrable to the RV-8.
(Pic 1),(Pic 2)
- Out with the Old, In with the New
(Pic)
RV-8, 1938 Tach Hours (Pic 1),(Pic 2) - Sold

Glasflügel Standard Libelle 201B, N564NS - Sold
Rolladen-Schneider LS1-f, N61MP - No longer owned
Old 05-24-2018, 07:02 PM

If getting to a -8 is the problem, you might consider doing transition training in a Grumman AA-1 or a Piper Tomahawk. The pattern speeds, sight picture, sink rate, etc. are similar. Then, you get the tailwheel training with a Citabria or Decathlon. If you can score time in any seat of a side by side RV, that would help.
2019(?) RV-10
Old 05-24-2018, 07:41 PM

Thanks for the input!
Old 05-25-2018, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humptybump View Post
I had time in a super decathlon prior to taking transition training. The RV transition training was definitely different and definitely valuable.
I completely redid my tailwheel endorsement in a Citabria in Ft. Collins, Colorado before finishing my transition training in Bruce's RV-8. It helped enormously as I hadn't flown a taildragger in several years, and got me used to high density altitudes I would be seeing at my home airport in Durango, CO.

Do your transition training in an RV-8. In the RV-8 you really need to pay attention during takeoff and stay small on rudder inputs during landing rollout. The RV-8 is also prone to being a bit squirreley during 3-point landings. It's important to be exposed to and deal with this behavior, as you may not experience it in other RV models.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctennis View Post
This is piloting 101 though and nothing special about an RV here. It's no less forgiving than anything else except maybe an Ercoupe.

Super D is an OK tailwheel trainer - approach and landing speeds are very similar to an RV-8. Heavier and a little more sluggish handling on the ground. Super D is almost too easy, but if you get worked over and competent with 3-pointers, wheelies, and x-winds, the RV transition will be very easy. There seems to be a bit of a trend here with posters portraying the RV-8 as touchy and squirrely. Everyone has a different opinion based on prior experience, but they are pussycats as tailwheel airplanes go.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:01 AM

I did about 18 hours of refresher training in a Decathlon and earned my tail wheel endorsement at the same time. It had been many years since my initial flying and I only had around 120 hours total back then prior to the Decathlon.

After that I had about 4 hours in the right seat of an RV-6 before my first flight in the 8.

First flight, and even quite a while after that, was lets just say interesting. Not dangerous, but landings were not pretty. The 8 gear is much more forgiving than that of the rest of the tribe but you can still bounce pretty good if you drop it in even a little.

As said earlier, the control input is completely different than the Decathlon but you'll adjust pretty quickly.